Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will the Spo2 sensor will be available?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Has there been any update when the spo2 sensor will be available for use. It was the only reason I chose this watch over the others I was looking to buy.

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity 

Best Answer
450 REPLIES 450

@Coachalan wrote:
How do I join the beta I have tried

Beta.fitbit.com

Best Answer

The article is interesting relating the writers experience in being a beta tester, especially since the beta was only open to a few users before being closed, but not much else.  Any use of the SpO2 sensor is conjecture on his part and not confirmed by FitBit.  

Sense, One, Flex, Charge 2, Blaze, Ionic, Aria
Best Answer

Given that the device has seen a OS upgrade and various price drops, and it’s not a new model now, I can’t see it happening any time soon. So, I won’t be holding my breath. My experience of Fitbit customer service has been lacklustre and the reliability of products dubious. Perhaps they should concentrate on those things. Market leaders meet the same people on the way up, as they do on the way down. Fingers crossed, but I’m not waiting for it! I couldn’t even find the tab to opt in and when I signed into the beta testing pages,  there was nada! 

Best Answer

Hello everyone! Thanks for your interest on having a SP02 feature on your Fitbit devices and for your continuous participation on this thread.

The Sleep Score Beta Test seems to be full by now. However, this initiative has helped the Fitbit Labs team to test the sleep score. The results looks promising and all we can do is waiting to hear more about this. 

I still don't have any information about SP02. However, once I have any I will definitely let you know. Please stay tuned for updates! 

See you around! 

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer

Can the moderator confirm that the Sleep Score derived in the Beta uses the SPO2 sensor?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I can tell you that shortly after waking up, the red light is still on.

Best Answer
"Thank you for your patience and understanding" Seriously??? Had I known that the watch did not include this, I NEVER would have been so quick to have made the purchase. Doesn't FitBit consider this to fall into the category of "false advertising"? Considering this feature should have been available before rolling out to the FitBit consumer. Don't be surprised if the trust of your customer base declines after misleading us.
Best Answer

So glad I joined this forum before shelling out my hard earned cash on a Charge 3. I do like my Charge 2 and see no reason to upgrade if the newer model doesn’t have the promised SP02 feature activated. Now I can make an informed decision on my next purchase. 

Best Answer
I made contact with FitBit Chat today regarding this matter. I'll copy and
paste this part of the discussion.

Me (1/11/2019, 3:57:09 PM): Specs: Sensors & Components: Relative SpO2
sensor.

When will this feature be available on the Charge 3 Special Edition? I
have Obstructive Sleep Apnea. This feature was the main reason for the
purchase. I can monitor my oxygen intake at night, and forward that
information to my sleep doctor for review.

FitBit Chat (1/11/2019, 3:59:27 PM): As it turns out the Fitbit Ionic does
include an SpO2 sensor to track blood oxygen, that will allow for the watch
to track deeper health insights like sleep apnea. At this time, we have not
yet received word as to when this feature will become available, but will
become available with a firmware update to the watch once this feature is
released.

Me (1/11/2019, 4:00:23 PM): Do you happen to the time frame?

FitBit Chat (1/11/2019, 4:02:04 PM): As it turns out the SpO2 technology
has not yet been cleared to be used in our devices although we are working
on getting this approved to put in our devices in the future, I do not have
any specific information regarding when it will be available.

Me (1/11/2019, 4:02:42 PM): Ok

FitBit Chat (1/11/2019, 4:03:53 PM): I would love to invite you to check
out our blog that offers many different articles on our devices, recipes,
healthy living, and more! Here is a link, https://blog.fitbit.com . Is
there anything else I may assist you with today?

Me (1/11/2019, 4:06:02 PM): FitBit Chat, thank you for time and assistance.
I will proceed to contact FitBit's Support Team (NOTE: Another issue),
wait for the SpO2 update, and check out the blog. I no longer need
assistance. Thank you for your time, and have a good weekend.

Me (1/11/2019, 3:57:09 PM): Specs: Sensors & Components: Relative SpO2
sensor.

When will this feature be available on the Charge 3 Special Edition? I
have Obstructive Sleep Apnea. This feature was the main reason for the
purchase. I can monitor my oxygen intake at night, and forward that
information to my sleep doctor for review.

FitBit Chat (1/11/2019, 3:59:27 PM): As it turns out the Fitbit Ionic does
include an SpO2 sensor to track blood oxygen, that will allow for the watch
to track deeper health insights like sleep apnea. At this time, we have not
yet received word as to when this feature will become available, but will
become available with a firmware update to the watch once this feature is
released.

Me (1/11/2019, 4:00:23 PM): Do you happen to the time frame?

FitBit Chat (1/11/2019, 4:02:04 PM): As it turns out the SpO2 technology
has not yet been cleared to be used in our devices although we are working
on getting this approved to put in our devices in the future, I do not have
any specific information regarding when it will be available.

Me (1/11/2019, 4:02:42 PM): Ok

FitBit Chat (1/11/2019, 4:03:53 PM): I would love to invite you to check
out our blog that offers many different articles on our devices, recipes,
healthy living, and more! Here is a link, https://blog.fitbit.com . Is
there anything else I may assist you with today?

Me (1/11/2019, 4:06:02 PM): FitBit Chat, thank you for time and assistance.
I will proceed to contact FitBit's Support Team (NOTE: Another issue),
wait for the SpO2 update, and check out the blog. I no longer need
assistance. Thank you for your time, and have a good weekend.
Best Answer
0 Votes

As @Starlette received response states, Fitbit does not plan on releasing it to the public until the FDA gives us blessings.

Up until recently the FDA required the whole unit to be certified, and would make adding an oxygen sensor prohibitive, however changed where in the works and now inly the hardware/software related to the individual server needs certification, this making the process easier for manufacturers like Fitbit.

It still takes plenty of testing, money, and time for the FDA to anyone the results.

I can say that some of those that where able to join the beta sleep score, now closed, have noticed that the red light is activated when walking up.

This makes us believe that the O2 sensor is enabled.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue I'm also noticing a somewhat faster battery drain, which also makes me suspect it's active.

Anyone else noticing faster battery drain since joining beta?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey @SleepFatigue. Sorry for the delay on my reply. In the future, this sensor could give consumers the opportunity to identify potential health issues like sleep apnea. We are still exploring how this would appear in the consumer experience, but such technology would use this sensor.

You can learn more about the Sleep Score beta by checking this page

Great to see you around @Starlette and @Norman12. Every feature that's going to be implemented on watches or trackers, it's always posted on our blog or in the main page of the tracker. Fitbit is still exploring how this would appear in the consumer experience, but such technology would use this sensor.

Hey @burns_erin. You can double check the tips to help you improve your Ionic's battery by following the tips on this article Can I improve my Fitbit device's battery life?

I'll be around if you need further assistance. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sylvia, it is not bad battery life in itself, it is just that I went from getting reliably 4 days to getting more like 3. And it was a significant and immediate change after joining the Sleep Beta. Which would make sense if they activated another sensor. No other use patterns or settings had been changed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You have been giving this same answer for over 2 years now. 

Best Answer

How can a company advertise a feature not yet enabled? I consider this false advertising. Fitbit should at the very least give their clients a time frame.

Best Answer

Thanks for the details @burns_erin Please contact our Fitbit Labs Team directly: 

1. Visit the Sleep Score - Labs page: https://www.fitbit.com/labs/sleep-score/help 

2. Click the Sleep Score Feedback link provided on the help page: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSedgqSS0_Sb6vDLjWWnNsN8jjj8liCxgcXFjMfABGiMxKL61A/viewform

Your patience while new features are implemented is greatly appreciated @PrimeTinus and @Norman12

Fitbit Labs is the next generation of smart, insightful and fun innovations from Fitbit Research. Our apps and clockfaces are experimental in nature, so we do not offer support for them and they maybe available for a limited time. For additional information, please visit ...
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi SilviaFitbit, The link you provided does not provide details on the Beta data as the information is only available to the (now closed) study participants.

It would seem that the SPO2 sensor is not used in the beta study as it is not expressly stated in the sleep quality metric; instead there is a comparison of day heart rate with night heart rate. Oxygen levels are alluded to, as a cause of sleep interruption, but it is not stated they will be assessed.

This would be consistent with requiring FDA approval. 

Best Answer

I don’t think there is issue with various features requiring FDA approval; the issue is with Fitbit misleading its consumers over what is rapidly appearing to be pie in the sky. The Ionic is not a new device now and to initially make spurious claims about what it will provide and then to not uphold those claims, many months later, by the lack of provision of something Fitbit knew would require approval, is misleading at best. SPO2 was listed as a feature to be added; implying that this was to be sooner, rather than not at all. Misrepresentation is never a good move when trying to secure a strong customer  base and always leaves companies wide open to challenge. 

Best Answer

Well said.  There is no doubt at this point that it is false advertising.  They have lost another customer for life due to this.  Loss of revenue is all they will care about.

Best Answer

Thanks for getting back @SleepFatigue@Vickytom9@someguy515 and @Gryzor

@SleepFatigue If you open the first link, it will provide you with information on how does the Sleep Score Beta works. However, Fitbit doesn't currently uses SPO2 sensor to track your sleep

@Vickytom9 Fitbit continues exploring this sensor and how this will give consumers the opportunity to identify potential health issues.

Best Answer