Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble setting up family account

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My son has waited for a while to buy an Ace with his birthday money so we went out & bought it last night. Very excited. Unfortunately after 3 hours trying to create an account I gave up.

We downloaded the app & started to set up all the details on his phone. When we had entered his height, weight etc. we clicked to set up a family account, all going well so far.

when asked to enter the email address & password we had created it comes up with invalid email or password everytime. I have tried to join fitbit about 15 times last night. I even did the 'forgot password' bit in case I had done a digit wrong in the password as there is no option to view the password whilst entering it. No email came to my email address to reset the password.

As you can imagine he got up extra early this morning to sort it out before going to school & the disappointment on his face was awful to watch.

Can anyone help?

Also the wristband is too short, he's on the last hole. We are considering buying an Alta but it doesn't come with the rewards etc. that kids like & to be honest I've lost confidence in Fitbit. This is the first time I've had to set one up & if you can't even create an account what will the rest be like. I know I'm not computer savvy like Bill Gates but I'm not exactly Homer Simpson either.

We bought it from Argos. But tonight I'm taking it back via PC World to see if they can help first.

It's a real shame as he's waited so long for it.

Have I been really thick & done something a bit stupid?

moderator edit: title for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi, @lorraine766, it is a little difficult to be sure what is going on, but what I *think* may have happened is that you have set up an account for him and then tried to set up a child account under his account.

I would think the best way to do this would be for you to set up a Fitbit account on your phone, and then create the family account also on your phone.  Use your information (height, weight etc.). You do not need to have a Fitbit to have a Fitbit account.

When you have created the family account, you can add him as a child to that account.  That is the point where you should enter his height, weight etc .

On his phone log into the account using the same email address and password  you used to create your account.  Now on his phone choose go to Kid view, and set up the Ace.  After that he can just keep logged in to kid view on his app, and when you want to check on his progress you can either log in to kid view on your phone, or check on your Friend Leaderboard to see his steps.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
9 REPLIES 9

Hi, @lorraine766, it is a little difficult to be sure what is going on, but what I *think* may have happened is that you have set up an account for him and then tried to set up a child account under his account.

I would think the best way to do this would be for you to set up a Fitbit account on your phone, and then create the family account also on your phone.  Use your information (height, weight etc.). You do not need to have a Fitbit to have a Fitbit account.

When you have created the family account, you can add him as a child to that account.  That is the point where you should enter his height, weight etc .

On his phone log into the account using the same email address and password  you used to create your account.  Now on his phone choose go to Kid view, and set up the Ace.  After that he can just keep logged in to kid view on his app, and when you want to check on his progress you can either log in to kid view on your phone, or check on your Friend Leaderboard to see his steps.

Best Answer

@lorraine766  It's a bit difficult without looking into the account, but as @Julia_G you would need to set up an account (if you don't have one already), then set up a family account, then add him as his child. From the description, it sounds like there are some steps out of order.

Check out this article if you haven't already. It sounds like you are seeking outside help, if they aren't able to get you set up, please let us know. 

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
0 Votes

Any idea on why I can see the 'family account' option on my andriod phone but not on my son's kindle or my desktop computers??

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @Jessica3933, unfortunately the Kindle is not a supported device, and the app available on the Kindle store is a much earlier Fitbit app version, which does not include the family options.

Also the Family Account option is not available on the desktop versions of the Fitbit program, only on the phone/tablet versions.  That is why you cannot see it on your computer.

If your son does not have his own supported device you can set up his account on your phone and he can sync that way.

Best Answer

@Julia_G wrote:

Hi, @Jessica3933, unfortunately the Kindle is not a supported device, and the app available on the Kindle store is a much earlier Fitbit app version, which does not include the family options.

Also the Family Account option is not available on the desktop versions of the Fitbit program, only on the phone/tablet versions.  That is why you cannot see it on your computer.

If your son does not have his own supported device you can set up his account on your phone and he can sync that way.

Actually, setting up a family account is an option in the Windows 10 desktop app.

Untitled.png

Best Answer

Hi, @SunsetRunner, thanks for the correction!  Yes, I should have been clearer -- the Family Account is only available on the App versions of the Fitbit program. not the web based versions.  But the Windows 10 option is actually an App, so Family Accounts can be set up using that.

Best Answer

@Julia_G, "If your son does not have his own supported device you can set up his account on your phone and he can sync that way." This should be on the setup page. Needed to connect his Alta HR. Thank you for the help.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did you find an answer to this? We are trying to set it up on my son's kindle

Best Answer
0 Votes

hi, @Tacomarie , unfortunately, the Kindle is not supported and I think it is unlikely that you will be able to set up your son’s Ace on his Kindle.

Best Answer
0 Votes