Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lifespan of alta hr

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hey, how long does a alta hr last? How do I know when it's dying?

Best Answer
0 Votes
13 REPLIES 13

Hi @AnimeDancer24  It is really hard to answer your question as it depends on a lot of things. I gave my Alta HR away after around 3 years and it was still working well, but I heR of others that have kept going for years and still others that die much earlier. A lot depends on how you have treated the battery - if you allow it to run flat too often or leave it uncharged and empty for long periods then it will tend to last a shorter time. Also a lot depends on your particular fitbit - some seems to be more long lived than others. Having said that I would guess that anything over 3 years is doing really well.

As to what causes death - that varies lot. Certainly battery failure is a major cause of death. Screen failures also occur, and sometimes failure to track. So you are likely to have a tracker that won't charge, or won't hold the charge once it is off the charger, or one that the screen stops scrolling, or the display goes white or dark, or lines cover it, or a tra ker that doesn't count step or other stats accurately anymore.

Are you having problems with your Alta HR?

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine lasted about 3 years. I replaced it when it started needing to be charged more often. I had always charged my Alta HR every Sunday evening. Then, it suddenly needed to be charged after 5 days. That lasted for about a month. Then it wanted to be charged every 3 days. That was when I gave up and ordered a replacement.

Batteries only have so many charge cycles and it seemed like mine was getting ready to quit. That was 2 years ago and I upgraded to an Inspire 2. I have an Inspire 3 now and I like it a lot. 

Community Council Member

Amanda | Wyoming, USA
Pixel Watch 2, Inspire 3, Sense | Android

Best Answer
0 Votes

My fitbit gave me a shock once but it seems to have stopped when I let the battery drain and fully charge afterwards. Even though there's a scratch on the screen. I wish I could tell when it's dying

Best Answer
0 Votes

It gave me a big shock once, if that counts. It's lasted for 4years so far. It was mostly just out of curiosity 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@AnimeDancer24 It sounds like it is doing really well!

Community Council Member

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So far, yeah. I'd like one I can go swimming with someday though

Best Answer
0 Votes

@AnimeDancer24 I totally agree. That was my biggest negative about the Alta Series. The Inspires are similar, but you can swim with them.

Community Council Member

Best Answer
0 Votes

The longest mine has lasted is 2 months, and then it would no longer take a charge.

Best Answer
0 Votes

How long is a bit of string ?

We have 2 alta and 1 alta hr, I alta is dead unless it lives on the charger, so battery, the other 2 are going fine still, who knows how old they are, but old as got them already well used.

Like most things, if you charge and use it, prob will go a long  time, leave it flat in cupboard, and yeah it will not live so long.

Battery should be kept in charged state, so charge and use weekly, or at least charge often.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If that were true, it would be a warranty claim, more to the story......

Best Answer
0 Votes

Been using mine continuosly since July 30, 2017.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had mine since release day in 2017 and it's still ticking!  Not a scratch on it!

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve had mine for about 5 or 6 years.  I wear it everyday and charge it about once a week when it gets really low.  Haven’t really had any problems with it until about the last couple of months.  It seems to have stopped tracking my detailed sleep info.  All I’ve been seeing is the simplified sleep patterns and sleep times that aren’t correct.  Guess that it may be time for something new.

Best Answer
0 Votes