Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set up issues

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi everyone,

I just received my Alta after pre-ordering.  I am currently in the process of setting it up using the android app.  Right now it is not seeing it while my bluetooth is on.  The first screen says Power Up, and it is searching for it but does not find it.  After that, the Not Working? screen comes up, and you have the option to try again.  After selecting try again, It then says Bluetooh Issues.  This is where you can restart Bluetooth, which I've done multiple times already.  I know my bluetooth works on my phone because I have it setup to work with my headphones with no problems.  I have it securely connected to the USB pin connecter which is then connected to my PC.  It is charging so I know there is connectivity.  I've restarted my phone a few times, but to no avail.  I never had any problem connecting with my HR.  Has anyone else experienced this with the Alta, does anyone know of anything that I could do to fix this issue.

Thanks!

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity

Best Answer
237 REPLIES 237

Thank you!  Following your instructions, I was finally able to set up my new Alta!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same issue, I've tried everything...resetting, re installing the app etc. This is also a brand new Alta that replaced my 3 month old Alta that stopped syncing with my phone...very frustrating and I really like Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

After an eye watering 3 hours i give up and posting here! I have just received Fitbit Alta and its cable. (I dont have the PC dongle). after trying all options, phone restart, app reinstall, BT restart and Alta restart (3 times press), it just wont connect to Android App and just stuck on 'Not Working?' Message which is useless! hoping to find a fix somewhere..

Best Answer
Good luck with finding help. I once had an Alta worked beautiful for a while. Then won't charge or anything. You could always get in contact with fitbit customer service. I hear they do good things
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm very disappointed with fitbit's quality.  We just received a replacement Alta and it is suffering from the same issue as others on this forum: the app is requesting a code and the Alta is giving us a big, fat "fitbit.com/setup".  We tried the restart with the 3 button pushes, to no avail.

Here's our history with Fitbit, my partner and I bought two trackers together 3 years ago.  They were both Fitbit Flex models.  My partner had her first one go after 6 months, we got a replacement.  Mine went after 9 months, we got a replacement.  My partner's replacement went after another 6 months, we got a second replacement.  My replacement went after 6 months, at which point it was out of warranty so I gave up and bought a Gear Fit and haven't looked back.  My partner's replacement's replacement went after 9 months, so it was out of warranty as well.  We bought a Charge, since she really loves the challenges with her friends through fitbit and didn't want to go with another brand because of that.  That lasted about 9 months and now we have a replacement Alta that I can't even setup.  If you do the math, we've had 5 Fitbit Flexes, 1 Charge and now an Alta and none of them have lasted more than 9 months.  My Gear Fit is going strong after a year and a half.  Fitbit just makes lousy devices imho.

Moderator edit. Format. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone! I'm happy to welcome new people to the Community! Thank you very much to @Twin and @Rich_Laue for the great help they have provided! Smiley Very Happy

For the ones who haven't tried any troubleshooting for their set up or sync issues, I'd recommend following the tips my friend @HelenaFitbit provides in her post for these issues

If you have tried the troubleshooting steps with no success, I'd recommend contacting our Customer Support team, and they will gladly assist you further with this! 

Keep me posted if you have any further questions! Robot Very Happy

Annie| Community Moderator

Was my answer helpful? Awesome! Let's help our fellow Fitbitters by marking this as a solution, and vote up! 😄

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the hint on hitting the reset button 3 times in under 8 seconds, that was enough to make it work for me. Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I                                         I have been having  the same issues as you have said but somehow it registered that all of a sudden everything had gone right and took me to the dashboard. But, when i double tap on the fitbit screen, it shows no date of time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the forums @all_books_glory @P-Simpson! I'm very happy to welcome you to the family. 😄

I'm very glad to see the restart has worked @P-Simpson! That's awesome. 

@all_books_glory, in your case, my best recommendation is to restart your tracker as well. You can do it 2-3 times. It has worked for me! To restart your tracker, please plug it to a computer with the charging cable, and press the button of the charging cable 3 times within 8 seconds, waiting 1 second per press. After the last press, wait a few seconds and you will see the Fitbit logo for showing it's restarting.

Also, please keep in mind the best way of tapping your tracker for activating the display. 

Let me know if you need anything else! Robot Very Happy

Was my answer helpful? Awesome! Let's help our fellow Fitbitters by marking this as a solution, and vote up! 😄

Best Answer
0 Votes
you see, my problem is that it won't connect to the computer.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for letting me know @all_books_glorySmiley Very Happy

To confirm, is your tracker not syncing to your computer, or it's not turning on when you plug it to your computer? 

If it's not syncing, I'd recommend following the tips for syncing troubleshooting, provided by my friend @HelenaFitbit in her post. 

Give it a shot and keep me posted with the outcome! Cat Very Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes
My lem is that the laptop thinks that the Fitbit is connected to the fitbit
app, so it is taking me to the dashboard, even though my Fitbit doesn't
show my the time or date or anything.
Best Answer
0 Votes

It's a lovdely idea but there doesn't seem to be a button on the charge cable, making it impossible to followyour instructions

Best Answer
0 Votes

Found the button -- it just doesn't restart the device

Best Answer
0 Votes
I just bought my bf a fitbit alta.  I can't get it time initially charge so it can be set up.  I had the same issue when I got mine but can't remember how to resolve it.  HELP!

Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Did you ever get the issue resolved?  I am so frustrated... never had issues with my old tracker.  Very dissatisfied and saddened by the poor accessibility to a tracker twice the price.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have not gotten it resolved yet.

Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Have you tried the following ?

1. Remove any Fitbit device that may appear in Settings / Bluetooth 

2. Remove device from Account option inside Fitbit app

3. Uninstall Fitbit app; don't worry about your data, they are all in your account

4. Install Fitbit app again 

5. Add the Fitbit device again through the setup procedure

it worked for me !

Best Answer
0 Votes

@sandromf it was either the romoval of the Fitbit from the phones Bluetooth  settings or the uninstalling/ installing of the app.

Removing the tracker from your account only tells Fitbit you do not want to use the tracker. Making it harder to fix a non sync problem, plus any unsynced steps will get thrown away.

Do not remove the tracker from the app.

The app needs to know what tracker is connected to your account to be able to sync.

You wint be able to add the tracker back to your account until the sync problem is fixed.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I did remove it because it didn't work. I reinstalled my old one. Still have Alta but have yet to make it work. Can I have install again and attempt to have both trackers active?

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes