Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking steps while salmon fishing

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

This is not a really an issue, at least for me since I am not compulsive about my steps being totally accurate.....it's just interesting and amusing.

I live on the Oregon coast and have gone salmon fishing in the ocean with my husband twice in the last 2 weeks.  My Fitbit has recorded steps during times when I was on the boat and active minutes when we were traveling fast (as opposed to actually fishing which is slow trolling.)  So I came home with unearned steps AND salmon!

Moderator edit: Clarified subject 

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

It's great to see you around @Fisherwoman

Since Fitbit algorithms are based on the arms movement, your tracker can get steps when movement is detected. So my best advice is downloading the Drivebit app, this app allows the user to automatically or manually  log driving activities to fitbit to get more accurate daily results. 

Let me me know how it goes! 

Magin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you find something helpful, give it a vote and don't forget to mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had a similar issue while fishing from shore. I want my steps counted while I walk the shoreline for bass because I can put in several miles.  But there is something about the motion of cranking the reel that registers steps also.  Thinking back, I probably could have switched wrists.  Then I might get false steps each cast but not each crank of the reel.

i also found I put on thousands of steps while operating a roto-tiller in our garden.

Best Answer

Welcome aboard @SwimmerB

Thanks for sharing your experience. In case you haven't downloaded the Drivebit app I recommend checking the How do I delete data? article

Keep me posted! 

Magin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you find something helpful, give it a vote and don't forget to mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just noticed this today for myself. I walk the shoreline fishing for striped bass, but today I was standing still in one spot for an hour and I was surprised to see I hit my 10K steps. My Fitbit charge 4 was on my reel cranking arm.  Other than switching wrists, is there a better way to avoid wrist cranks or repetitive motion while standing still?

Seems like it would not be difficult to code in a some sort of catch that if your GPS doesn't detect significant movement, but the pedometer does, then ignore the steps. Or have some sort of fishing mode or standing still mode

Best Answer