Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to setup device

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Trying to set up an Alta via my iMac, OS 10.15.1 Catalina. I get as far as a Fitbit Connect window that says "Turn on Bluetooth to sync your trackers. Please go to your System Preferences to turn on your Bluetooth". In fact my Bluetooth is on but the Fitbit procedure is not seeing that. This Fitbit window itself offers no way out, no 'go back' nor 'cancel' nor anything, no matter what you press. Any advice please?

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

After some 'trial and error' stuff i discovered that the problem was that the dongle was not installed properly. I re-inserted it and this problem was resolved.

It would have been helpful if that Fitbit window had also suggested checking the dongle connection rather than solely blaming my Bluetooth which was, in fact, on. I also suggest that that window be upgraded to provide an 'exit' or 'cancel' or 'retry' or anything useful, rather than just leaving you stranded, and stuck with no possible exit.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
9 REPLIES 9

After some 'trial and error' stuff i discovered that the problem was that the dongle was not installed properly. I re-inserted it and this problem was resolved.

It would have been helpful if that Fitbit window had also suggested checking the dongle connection rather than solely blaming my Bluetooth which was, in fact, on. I also suggest that that window be upgraded to provide an 'exit' or 'cancel' or 'retry' or anything useful, rather than just leaving you stranded, and stuck with no possible exit.

Best Answer

Hello @karleuler, welcome to the Community Forums! Sorry for the delay in responding.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention and for troubleshooting your Alta device prior to posting too. I'm really happy to know that after trying some steps you were able to setup your device as the way it was designed. Let me share with you that we are always striving to improve the Fitbit experience with our products and services, therefore, the feedback that's shared here in the Community Forums is always helpful for us to evaluate our procedures and make sure that we are delivering what our users want and need.

Your effort an patience are appreciated, don't hesitate to contact me back if you require further assistance or if you have any additional questions for me to answer.

See you around. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same problem with Mac Catalina and the FitBit app, except that I don't have a dongle.   When I first got the notice, I just turned Bluetooth off and on again, and the app got connected.  However, every time, usually daily, I go to check things, the Bluetooth connection is gone.   I repeat the off/on process and am reconnected, but it is a pain.  This first happened recently after updating my MacBook to Catalina.   At the same time we installed a new iMac in the same room, also running Catalina with Bluetooth on, using wireless mouse and keyboard (so it has to stay on).  The placement of the computers is the same as before with the old iMac and both running Mojave.

Best Answer
0 Votes
thanks you for your reply! i did solve my problem, by using my phone
instead to do the syncing!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your interest. I do not have a dongle - never had one with my alta.  I also do not use my phone to work with FitBit, just the laptop.  There seems to be a coincidence with Mac Catalina on this, so I am hoping the post monitor will be able to suggest something.  It did not happen for me under Mojave. It was your reference to Catalina that really caught my eye.  I think I will go to Apple also to see if they have any ideas - perhaps it is the OS that is dropping FitBit - just thought of that.  

Best Answer
0 Votes
thank you!
Best Answer
0 Votes

FYI - This issue is discussed in detail in a thread under the fitbit.com dashboard, "Fitbit Connect is not compatible with MAC Catalina", and is not an Alta problem.  The originator of this post was able to work around it by using his phone instead of the Mac.  From what I understand about that thread, Fitbit Connect is the problem, probably because it is a 32 bit app and Catalina does not support 32 bit apps as prior OS have.  This had been coming for a while.   Apparently Fitbit has no intention of updating Fitbit Connect to 64 bit.

So far, turning Bluetooth off and on has worked for me - I have not had to reboot, which would be completely unacceptable.  One post in the above reference said even a reboot didn't always work.   My birthday is in a couple of months and my alta is quite old, so I will ask for a new tracker - one that communicates with my Mac.

Best Answer
0 Votes
thank you. as i may have mentioned, using my smartphone was an easier
solution! ...k
Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve not had success connecting my Alta with my iPhone and have turned Bluetooth off snd on multiple times. Nothing seems to ‘reset it’ fo any aspect of the app.

Best Answer
0 Votes