Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta shutting off

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
Is anyone else having issues with their Alta randomly shutting off and having to be plugged in to restart? I've had mine since Friday and have had to do it twice. Each time it's happened the battery still says it's full or mostly full. I tried calling the helpline but all I was being told to do was reset and sync. Both of which I've already done.
Best Answer
133 REPLIES 133

i left my on my night stand for two days with a half charge being as i was sick when i went to put it back on it no longer work?  I have tried the reset and that was a not go so any idea what i should do now????

Best Answer
0 Votes

@grumpygramma A warm welcome to our Fitbit Community! It seems that you have tried restarting your tracker and had no success. I would like to know if you have made sure to clean the contacts of your tracker and charger. Also if you made sure that your tracker has enough battery, my best advice is to contact our Customer Support team so they can review your options and get you back on track.

I'll be around if more help is needed! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Fitbit Alta is a replacement for the Fitbit Charge that I purchased in January.  The Charge band fell apart, so they shipped me an Alta, as they didn't have any more Charges.  My Alta is continually shutting off.  I have plugped it in and reset and reset numerous times and it continues to happen.  The support group have told me to update, etc.  I have tried everything they have told me. There is no update out there that I can find. I have barely worn my Alta because it won't quit shutting off.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Wilson29 Thanks for joining us and welcome to the forums! Since you mentioned that you have restarted your Alta a few times without success. In this case, I recommend contacting our Customer Support team again, I'm pretty sure that they will have a solution for you.

Let me know if anything else is needed my friend! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I bought my Alta about 3 weeks ago and it has now shut off twice with no warning. Both times I was outside and I live in Dubai so I wondered if it had overheated- but if that's the case for a sports device that's pretty useless as I bought it to wear sailing and doing things where I will get hot! Both times it has only turned back on by charging which when you're out doing a sport is impossible. Looking at the above is there a general fault with the device as lots of people seem to have had this issue... can fit bit please resolve this?!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm on my third Alta...all randomly shut off. As soon as I hook it up to the charger, it starts up and runs fine for a few hours or sometimes days. Sooner or later, it shuts off. 

The battery is always showing a full or almost full charge. I've sent back two and will probably sent this current new one also. I've talked with the tech people and they all think I'm crazy and think nothing is wrong. There is definitely a flaw in the software but they don't believe me. 

Best Answer

I also experience this after the software upgrade. I got this problem 1 month now.  I tried resetting too but still it would not work. The battery show medium level but the tracker is shutting down and the only way I can turn it on is to plug it on the charger again.

Best Answer

Hello. I have a FitBit Alta that keeps randomly turning off aswell, I went to the 'help' section on the fitbit website and requested a chat. the wait wasn't too long and I explained my problem. The agent asked me a few questions regarding the purchase (date of purchase, retailer, etc...) and offered me two options: 1) Getting a 50% discount on another model or 2) getting a complementary replacement of the same model. I chose the second option. (Please note: There is a 365 day warranty, I did this the day I received the device but you might have to call if it has been longer than a year.) I am supposed to receive a new one soon.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi friend. I also had same problem. I think Fitbit automatically turns off in case u don't wear it for long. Try to wear it all day n night. My Fitbit switches off at night when I don't wear it. When I started to wear it at night problem was solved

Best Answer
0 Votes

@AnimaLover It's great to see you here and welcome to the Community @Sameerpuri! Thanks a lot for sharing the solutions guys. I'm pretty sure that the information that you shared will help other users.

I'd like to invite you to visit our Discussions board where you can share your experiences, meet people and create new topics.

Hope to see you both in our Fitbit Community more often guys! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got the Fitbit Alta HR for both myself and my husband. About two weeks ago, mine just started radomly shutting off while I'm wearing it and won't turn back on. So I plug it in and do the whole system reset thing. I sometimes have to do this several times a week, even with a full charge, which it has today. Not only that, but it hadn't synced my pulse for about a week up until two hours ago, when it shut off again. My pulse is synced up again now, but has stopped recording since the Alta HR shut itself off. It can't be a battery save thing, since I'm wearing it. Seeing as how this is a common issue, shouldn't there have been some sort of recall on certain lots so that more wouldn't be sold? Seeing as how most of the questions occurred last year, this shouldn't still be happening with newly purchased ones.

Best Answer

I am having the same issues with my charge, it was given to me by my friend. Can I still call customer service and expect them to help?

Best Answer
0 Votes

My best advice is to check to see that your Alta has the latest firmware. Mine reads 21.40.2. Mine stopped turning off once I updated to the latest version. If you are still having trouble, if the Alta is less than a year old and you have the receipt, tell a Fitbit you want a new one. They did replace mine with a new one but it still shut off on me. I was ready to give up but then I updated to the nest version and it worked fine since then. I would totally remove the Alta from your phone and then redo it as if it were a net Alta...it will automatically install the lastest version. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just did a restart on my Alta hr yesterday. Any idea if that’s what caused it to shut down randomly on its own today!  Was really frustrating as I was on a brisk 2 mile walk!

@ErickFitbit wrote:

@Bleiker@HGrimstead I recommend you both perform a restart with my instructions here and let me know if that works.

If that doesn't work, I suggest following up with our Support Team who will be happy to look into the back-end data on your device and provide you with further troubleshooting assistance. Keep me posted.

I just did a restart on my Alta hr yesterday. Any idea if that’s what caused it to shut down randomly on its own today!  Was really frustrating as I was on a brisk 2 mile walk!

Moderator edit: Merged replies

Best Answer
0 Votes

My alta has done this 3 times since friday, i thought it may be because its a couple of years old but dont want to by another one incase it does the same thing. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem too.  I've had my Alta for just under 2 years and have worn it all the time without any issues until the last month.  It now turns off randomly but turns back on when connected to the USB cable and shows over 50% battery.  Contacted Fitbit support who just told me to reset it, charge it and monitor how long it takes for the battery to drain - without any acknowledgment that it's the turning off randomly when it still has battery that's the issue.  If it was just a short battery life, it would be easy enough to charge it more regularly. This seems to be completely random turning off regardless of the battery charge. 

I've got a cable with a reset button and resetting it has made absolutely no difference, I'm using the latest firmware 21.40.2. I don't have all-day sync on or any alarms set.  As new users are reporting the same issue too, there doesn't seem to be much point in replacing the Fitbit.  Expected better from a major brand.

Best Answer

Mine is updated to that version yet still shuts down. It's kind of crappy Fitbit only has a 1 year warranty and no way to repair malfunctioning devices. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have given in and bought another one. X
Best Answer
0 Votes
Actually they have a 2 year warranty in Europe... just not in middle East. it took a lot offighting and a threat to go to office of fair trade in uk to get mine replaced but what do you know once that was suggested i had an immediate replacement offer... so if you are European do point out their 24 month warranty...
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm in the US, unfortunately. 

They gave me a 25% off for a new one but even with the discount it's more than what I initially paid for it (Christmas sale). And until they get this issue fixed I refuse to buy more of their faulty product.

Moderator edit: Merged replies

Best Answer