Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android app incorrectly recording walks as runs

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Whenever I try to record a walk in the android app, it will instead start to record a run. How do I fix this?

Best Answer
212 REPLIES 212

I also have this issue with my Charge 3 since the app update occurred on Monday...

Best Answer
Hi, I'm using a Samsung A5 (2017)...where would I find what OS I'm using?
I've tried restarting from the firbit directly and have logged out of the app and logged back in but that doesn't seem to have worked. It's odd as it always used to work!

Kaeti Morrison
Best Answer
0 Votes

regardless of what I choose when I'm finished the activity is always being recorded as a run I have tried logging out and logging back on I turn my phone off and restarted it and nothing changes this.

I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app but it still record everything as a run.

Best Answer

Is yours still playing up @JaneMedds ?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yep, another run to school again this morning 😂 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same problem here, this is a software glitch please fix it.

Best Answer

I have the same problem and mine only started a couple of days ago too. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Smiley Sad I have exactly the same problem and mine only started a couple of days ago too. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Stop tire not using the Charge 3 to record your walk, but are using the Fitbit App on some time off phone.

Best Answer

@Bacchero wrote:

Having a simular problem. I register my walks with the Android app. When i start a training, i choose "Walk", when i stop the training it is registerd als "Run".

Exactly the same here since the last android app update. Using with Pixel 2 XL.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer

Thanks everyone for your info.

I followed up with Fitbit Support on twitter and they had me do the following things.

1 - Log out of the app, force close the app, restart my phone and then log back in. <This step did not help.>

2 - Uninstall/reinstall app. <This step did not help, either.>

I'm hoping that there are more folks experiencing this to show this issue is more widespread than the few folks who have commented on this forum, so far. I have a Moto E4 phone.

In the meantime, I'm using Strava, which is linked to my Fitbit account, to record my walks.

Best Answer

This happened to me too. I recorded a couple of walks on 1/13 with my Zip, but the walk I took tonight with the Charge 3 HR was recorded as a run. I've only started the activity with the app on my Android phone.

Best Answer

The downside of using Strava to record walks is that it removes Active Minutes when it syncs with Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi!
Mine was working fine. I had recorded several walks. I went to update other
apps on my phone on Monday or Tuesday this week and noticed that my Fitbit
app had auto updated the day before. Since that update, all my walks have
recorded as runs unless it auto tracks it ( the Fitbit starts tracking on
its own). It seems when they fixed bugs, they added a new one. Hopefully
they listen. In the meantime, I have started correcting it through my
dashboard on the website. It's a pain in the butt but can be done.
Best Answer

Mine started doing this also, just a few days ago 🤔. Very annoying.

Best Answer
0 Votes

How do you report the problem?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine also started to post my walks as runs starting on Tuesday 15 January 2019.  I've logged out, restarted, did everything others have done with the exception of removing/readding app.  Currently using Version 2.85.  I haven't had this issue since I got my FitBit HR a couple of years ago.

Best Answer

This also started happening to me recently on a Moto G5 Plus, the exact same behavior - when trying to track a walk it just defaults to tracking as a run. I'm using a Charge 3 but I don't think that variable matters(?), as this appears to be an issue with the app. When using tracking, certain things are tracked differently between walks and runs (due to stride length, etc.), so this is a very frustrating bug.

Yes, I could just use auto-detect for walks, but I want to use tracking (with GPS) via the app for BOTH walks and runs. At the moment I can't do that, as it is stuck on runs - quite frustrating for what is supposed to be a premium product, especially as I upgraded from the old Charge HR to get away from all these little niggles. 

*edit

FYI I've also tried all combinations of the usual things, deleting app, restarting phone, clearing cache, etc. etc. etc., no difference.

Best Answer

Having the same problem,  started on 01/15/19 , someone needs to address the problem,  I'm am getting so tired of Fitbit .

Best Answer

I have a Fitbit Alta HR. Today I chose "Track Exercise" in the app, selected "Walk" and started it.

When I was finished I held the "finish" button. It then appeared in the dashboard as a run, and there is no way to change it. Fitbit appears to have done this by itself and overridden what I chose as the activity.

It is annoying to me that it says I did a run when I didn't. At no point did I run. I know I selected walk, I remember selecting it, and it's still selected if I go back to track exercise now. It's always the first thing selected because I have never tracked a run.

This is a bug in the app and it should be fixed.

Best Answer