Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bike activity not tracking distance

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Gps does not track distance in biking....the icon of the cell phone comes on ....on the screen of the fitbit but it keeps on searching....bar goes back and forth the time im biking....time, calories burnt,heart rate are all tracked.....even on the map i can see my all roads ...streets i biked in red....but no distances....in the past it would track full distance....even give me a time per Km....BUT distance is tracked  if i use the run or hike??

Ive updated ghe app...its a Fitbit charge 2

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity and format 

Best Answer
113 REPLIES 113

Yes @missperu and you will need to manualy start the bike mode and let the tracker connect to the GPS on the phone. This is explained in the user manual

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks so much for reply
Best Answer
0 Votes

I did a 20km ride and my fitbit versa 2 showed 9.8km. I'm surprised the issue still exists especially after more than an year after it was first bought to notice. It's more surprising as many apps are already doing this by auto detecting activity type and distance with precision. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Any watch will have to either  have a sensor on the front wheel or GPS to determine distance. In case of Fitbit, gps is needed. So without knowing the a accuracy of the map that Fitbit displays. I cant comment. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been having this issue with my Versa 2 for 6 weeks. I have contacted Fitbit numerous times, reset my phone, reset my Versa 2 at least 6 times and NOTHING is working. When putting in bike mode, after 5 minutes Versa gives me a message that it can't connect. Beyond frustrated. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I believe the issue is with, will not issue but go on your maps settings and make sure your location history is on and functional ie deletion date isn't set to immediate, it should be sorted then.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you very much for your reply, I have resolved issue now.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I just biked 27 miles, UNfitbit told me I walked 2.1 miles but it does show bike activity in terms of time, BP, and calories burned.  I really regret this purchase.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same problem with my UN fitbit 3 as well.  Regret the purchase, wish AAFES would take it back.  27 miles and all I get is 2 miles, 4,000 steps???!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same problem with my UNfitbit 3 as well.  Regret the purchase, wish AAFES would take it back.  27 miles and all I get is 2 miles, 4,000 steps???! Yes INFURIATING...perfect description.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

When it comes to biking and distance, the user must manually start the bike mode on their tracker. 

Because the tracker on the arm has no way to know what the wheel of the bike is doing, the tracker needs to get the bikes distance another way. For fitbits this would be gps. 

The user will want to manually start the bike mode, wait for a gps connection and then take off. 

If the user does not receive a map of their ride, no distance will be recorded. An auto detected exercise will not display a distance. 

When it comes to steps while biking I agree, it is dumb to count The bumps in the road as steps, however their are several very hot requests on this subject. 

Some users want every pedal stroke counted as a step while others want every step removed, and a third group wants bike rides converted to steps. With the last group they can not agree on the conversion rate, some want a mile of riding to be converted as if they walked the mile while others want the conversion based on calories. Whether Fitbit does something, or nothing, Fitbit will offend 4 of third 5 groups of opinions. I think Fitbit has stepped back. The hood news is that bike distance no longer gets added to the daily totals of walking distance, however this move also have users that object. 

What would you do. If you where Fitbit and make a decision on biking, steps, distance. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

If I were Fitbit I would remove the ability to track the bike. I simply does not work. Don't advertise what doesn't work. I upgraded my wife's from 3 to 4 for that sole purpose.  False advertising period. . . . . . . 

Best Answer

I have no issues. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Apparently you have one of the few that work. There are so many others that have posted about this issue. No need to respond. I think we'll just simply find another way to track.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is there any resolution to this prob

lem yet?

Best Answer
0 Votes

same issue, tired of fitbit not doing what it is supposed to do. You guys are just ripping people off. Fix this along with the many other issues and you might keep my as a customer. Very frusterated. I have a Fitbit inspire 2 for reference.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit did loose me as a customer. I totally agree with you. They just don't care about their customers. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

For distance, the user will need to use the manual bike mode, making sure that GPS has connected. 

The user also should be able to view a map of where they have rode. 

Some tracker models, like the Sense and Versa 3, have built in GPS, while others depend on the phones GPS. 

I find a restart of the phone for me is the best way to get connected, if the watch isn't connecting. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don’t even have the option to track biking manually in the app. There is only run, walk, and hike. How can this product claim that you can track biking? Its a total scam

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JBStan The bike option, as well as about 19-20 other exercise options will be found on most trackers. Excluding the Alta, Flex, and One. There may be a limit as to how many can be installed. 

Instructions are found in your trackers user manual

Or on the unline searchable interactive user guides. 

How do I use GPS on my Fitbit device?

How do I track my workouts with my Fitbit device?

Best Answer
0 Votes