Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug in Android Fitbit app logging swim?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

i've been using a Samsung Galaxy 4s running the current android app since I bought my Charge 2 a year ago.  I migrate the app to an SD card because I need all the 16gb built in ROM I can get.  In the last couple of days I got an update to the app. Now, for the first time since I stated logging my three times a week swims, the log will only let me enter three digits in the distance line!  I log 1000 yards.  It always worked in the past!  FIX IT?

Best Answer
26 REPLIES 26

I contacted customer service over this and yesterday they said they are aware of it but might not be able to fix it very quickly. They are monitoring it to see how it affects users, so maybe we all need to keep bugging them to let them know how frustrating it is! 

It didn't sound like they were particularly interested in fixing it. 

Best Answer
I personally have a "work around" because my 45 minute workout in the
pool is very, very close to 999 yards.  It is the "milers" that will
need to complain.  What I do not understand is why/how that field got
truncated.
Best Answer

I don't understand either, and by the sound of it, they don't know either. 

My swims are usually 1500+metres often 2500 so it's really annoying. 

Perhaps everyone needs to email them. 

Best Answer

I'm having the same problem, so I've created another topic about it. I usually swim 1000-1500m, this is a huge thing for me. Additionally, cannot post my swims to social media anymore, since swimming 150m instead of 1500m in 33mins isn't something to be proud of now, is it?

This should be an easy fix, I'm a programmer so I know. It's either the entry field or the database field that is misconfigured. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Such a shame. I considered buying a new Fitbit to track my swimming laps, now I'm not so sure anymore...

Best Answer
I'm betting it gets fixed in relatively short order.  It takes
nit-pickers to keep programmers on their toes!  I know, I'm one.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the exact same problem.... Seems to have happened after the latest update to the app.

I usually have to correct my swims (deleting the auto logged swim from my charge 3) as it logs them 1 or 3 lengths short.... Which I know is a fault as I only swim even numbers of lengths! 

Went to delete today's log and put the correct distance in and was met with not being able to log 1000m... Instead I had to put 999m in....

Best part is Fitbit support can't find my account even though I emailed from the same account that I am logged in with making this post.... 

Best Answer

I wasn't even aware of an update on mine. I input the details manually for swims as I'm on a charge 2 and use a Garmin swim tracker. ( I'd bought that before the charge 2, and that usually logs an extra 2 lengths no matter how far I swim) 

It is definitely annoying not being able to correctly record distance. 

I'm liking the look of the new phlex edge swim tracker, can't wait for that to be released.

Best Answer
0 Votes
That does not help us right now, does it?

I have the Fitbit app on a Windows 10 portable computer that has
bluetooth but I have not checked to see if the Android bug is unique to
my old Samsung Galaxy S4
Best Answer

>They are monitoring it to see how it affects users,

they don't know if its important enough to fix???  How it affects users - um it prevents people from doing a basic function...

this is why I tell everyone to avoid fitbits... all of the fitness related stuff is done halfway... (or in the case of swimming 0.0000000000001% of the way...

I picked up a Moov and was blown away by the information a $50 item could provide about swimming.. not only does it provide the time per lap instead the stupid calorie per lap but it tells you swim vs turn time and rest time!!

Best Answer

I'm going to have to look at that.  I wear hearing aids that can be linked via Bluetooth to my phone.  Using Pandora on walks is great, and hearing phone calls, etc.  I'd love to have waterproof audio and better swim tracking, but right now, all I have is a Fitbit Charge 2.  It has held up pretty well except for the original wristband that started giving me skin problems after about a year.

Best Answer
0 Votes

the moov won't give you audio but i was super impressed with my first use!  you set up the swim on your phone in the locker room and it really didn't register anything until i was actually swimming and tracked well.  It even tracked most of my kick drill lengths (saw them as breast stroke)..  really drove home how piss poor fitbit does with swim tracking

for audio I like the Finis duo mp3 - its bone conduction which might work well for you depending on your hearing issues - I know bone conduction tech is often hearing aid compatible

Best Answer
0 Votes
I will check your recommendations out.  I'm 76 years old and swim 1000
yards three times a week, so simply recording a 45 minute 1000 yard swim
on the log is adequate for me. My hearing loss is probably related to
years of motorcycle exhaust noise and is much worse on the ear that got
the worst of it!  I expect the bone conduction approach would be as good
as the amplification I'm getting from a pair of outrageously expensive
audiologist tuned little behind the ear devices that were recommended
for me.  I'm a fan of old fashioned heavy magnet bass speakers in solid
wood cases, not the new tinny stuff that connects to digital audio using
bluetooth.  Analog rules when it comes to sound.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone!

Thanks for letting us know about this issue. We’re aware of it and are working to identify a resolution as quickly as possible. 

We're sorry for any trouble. We appreciate your patience and look forward to getting you back on track.

Please let us know if there's anything we can do to assist you in the meantime.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
At what point is fitbit going to realize they need to actually have a
competant QA team. It's ridiculous that people who paid for a product are
stuck being unpaid QA staff.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I've been "debugging" stuff since 1961 when the device was an IBM 1620
and the software was a two pass card based FORTRAN with no numbers or
letters after its name.  We upgraded the 1620 to 32 K from 18 K 32 bit
words of RAM and the compiler became FORTRAN II. Those were the days! 
I'm willing to report bugs to this day, but I ain't fixing any I did not
create myself!
Best Answer
0 Votes

This is a pretty basic function of the product.  I'm not sure why this is taking so long to fix.  When will it be fixed?

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Fitbit versa was recently stole at a swim meet and I had to go back to my old Alta and today I tried to log my swim practice and it did the same thing! Hopefully enough of us will post about this problem and Fitbit will fix it.

Best Answer

I have also noticed similar thing on my device as well, using One Plus 6.

Best Answer

Hello everyone!

Thanks for bringing this up and sharing your experiences.

At this moment we do not have any details on the matter but please know that as soon as there are any details on the matter we will be sure to let everyone know.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer