Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calories upon waking up

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

When I wake up I automatically put on my Fitbit, past few days I notice there are 287 calories posted already,  how is this possible if I havent worn it all night

Moderator edit: subject for clarity 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

As well as tracking calories burned through activity your fitbit also tracks your BMR calories. These are the calories you burn just keeping your body alive (even when asleep). They are calculated from your profile settings for age, height, weight etc so you needn't be wearing your fitbit to get them. What you are seeing in the morning is the total BMR calories burned since midnight

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

As well as tracking calories burned through activity your fitbit also tracks your BMR calories. These are the calories you burn just keeping your body alive (even when asleep). They are calculated from your profile settings for age, height, weight etc so you needn't be wearing your fitbit to get them. What you are seeing in the morning is the total BMR calories burned since midnight

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Steve, 

I am also struggling with the calories issue on Charge 3. I understand your reply in principle, but how could anyone burn 500 calories sleeping. I am struggling to set my Fitbit so that it actually shows the calories as I understand, for example that during a workout I burned 350 calories . My Charge 3 displays 2250 calories burnt at the end of the day, which is impossible. Please could you help with advice on how to set Calories at 0 at the start of the day and the realistic number at the end of the day? I thought I needed to change settings but the settings are set to calories, not kilojoules. 

Many thanks. Anna

Best Answer

@AnnaBJ BMR calories confuse most of us when we start with fitbit but having several hundred burned by the morning is quite normal. See what fitbit say in this help file http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1381

Calories reset to zero at midnight and I'm afraid you can't reset them again. 

My BMR calories add up to 1440 per day out of an average total of 2000 and for most people they are more than half of their total. 

They are not a fitbit thing so it might be worth spending some time on google in the hope that you find a site that can explain it better than me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

HI Steve, 

Many thanks for your prompt reply. 

I will read about it, as you suggested as the whole concept is beyond me at the moment. Hopefully, it will become clearer soon. Your reply has been helpful, however. Thank you. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

How do you turn it off so you just know how many calories you’re actually losing. I don’t believe I’m losing 1500 calories from sitting at a desk all day.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Jpostay I'm afraid you can't turn off BMR calorie tracking. I burn around 1400 BMR calories in 24 hours even if I don't get out of bed so burning 1500 per day doesn't sound that excessive to me. Most people find that their BMR calories amount to more than half of the total calories burned.

Best Answer