Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 2 sync issues since 07/2018 updates

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Using Charge 2 with app on Galaxy S7. Since all of the July 2018 updates (I've checked for new ones-up to date as of this AM) syncing is very poor and inconsistent.  I have all day sync turned on but no syncing for hours (2-4)at a time. When I try manual sync, it frequently still does not update and leaves me with the (!) icon.  Trying to use sync data with MyFitnessPal so need it to sync more frequently. Have tried logging out, restaring phone and Bluetooth....nothing fixes this. I can't understand how Fitbit programmers have so much trouble getting this app to work. Without it, the Fitbit devices are basically useless. I like the devices and app, when they work, but have begun to reseach alternatives.

Best Answer
33 REPLIES 33

Hello @Blade0854

Thanks for bringing this up. I'd say that we try to restart the connection between the two, not only the app or the Bluetooth. You can do this by removing your Charge 2 from your S7's Bluetooth and then running the setup once again. Please try this after you have been able to sync successfully as any details that haven't been synced will be deleted after doing those steps. 

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Works when I do it, but had to do it EVERY time I wanted it to synch. No continuous, all day sync like before. It actually went 3 hours w/o synching until I manually did it by following above procedure again.  After most recent update (2days ago), it would not synch at all by any means. Tried signing out and back in to app as that sometimes help....wouldn't even complete log in....nothing but spinning circle.  Uninstalled an reinstalled app and it seem to be working better. still does not synch automatically as often as before, but manual synch works. Has a longer lag time to synch with MyFitnessPal app...not sure which app is causing that, though.

Best Answer

Same products, same issue. The only thing that works for me is to restart my Charge 2 several times each day. To get it to work after the update I had to turn bluetooth off, restart my S7 phone and restart my Charge 2 then do a new setup. Any other sequence would not allow me to reset up my Charge 2 after removing my Fitbit device via the app.  I am also using an Amazon Fire and it would also not sync whenever my S7 would not sync.. It syncs after the Charge 2 restart. When syncing doesn't work neither device can connect to the Charge 2 via bluetooth. It is the Charge 2 bluetooth that is not working properly. Hopefully, the next update fixes the problem. Restarting my Fitbit several times each day is not a good solution.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Bob1217 and @Blade0854.

@Blade0854 In this case I'd like to ask you a couple of questions:

• Are you using any other Bluetooth devices?
  • Have you synced your Fitbit to another phone or a computer? 

@Bob1217 Please keep in mind that the Amazon Fire is not currently on the supported devices list. I'd recommend that you try the steps I mentioned above and remove your Fitbit from your tablet's Bluetooth  settings and then run the setup again on your S7.

It is important to mention that as long as a device fulfills the minimum requirements, Android 4.4 and Bluetooth 4.0, there is a possibility that it will sync but we cannot guarantee it. Some users have mentioned that following the steps shared above can help your Fitbit to sync.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes I have my Fitbit bluetooth paired to a Samsung Galaxy S7 and an Amazon Fire. I have the switch for syncing all day switched on for both devices. They were both being kept close to each other. I have separated the devices by 50 feet or so and I have not had a problem since separating them.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer
I have both the Charge 2 and the Flex 2 connected to the app. I needed to
get the Flex 2 for swimming and other water activities since Fit bit can't
seem to make a waterproof Charge 2 . (Your other waterproof device is way
too large and clunky for daily wear.) I was assured that this should not be
a problem and it was not, prior to July. It would be very inconvenient to
disconnect, reconnect every time I go to the pool! I am no longer using the
Fire tablet and removed the fit bit app from it prior to giving to my
grandson after switching to Glaxy Tab A, which is supposed to be supported.
No longer having issues with manual sync most of the time. However, it will
go hours without syncing until I do it manually, even with all day sync on.
Prior to your July app updates, this was not the case. Sync updated on it's
own throughout the day without any action on my part.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Blade0854 and @Bob1217.

Glad to read that everything seems to be working correctly for the time being. 

@Blade0854 As for the Fitbits not syncing automatically, you could try to turn the Bluetooth off and then back on. That should definitely help in getting everything to work on its own.

If you have the time, maybe you could  visit one of our Discussion boards, lots of different topics to talk about with other users.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been having troubles with syncing recently as well.  I have turned bluetooth off then on, unpaired and repaired the device.  Unpaired an older fitbit one that I haven't been using lately anyway.  At this point I have all day sync on and it will sync better on demand now but it used to work that if I had the app open and walked around you could actually see the step count going up as you walked.  This is no longer working for me.  Anyone else seeing similar issues?

Best Answer

Welcome to the Forums @MRGFit.

Thanks for bringing this up and sharing everything that you have tried.

I'll be sure to let the rest of the team know about this situation. If there are any updates on the matter we'll be sure to let everyone know about it.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Since the last update my Charge 2 randomly stops syncing for days at a time. The only other device my phone is connected to bluetooth with is my car and its not a constant issue. But when my Charge 2 does quit syncing it will take endless attempts to re-connect it. It currently isn't syncing again after I just fixed it a few days ago. I am afraid to go through the procedures again because I had to delete the device from my account and try and reconnect it and it would not reconnect. I've restarted the device, my bluetooth, and my Samsung galaxy s8+. I've also tried connecting it to my laptop previosuly. At this point I'm tired of troubleshooting this watch. When it works it is awesome, but when it doesn't it is incredibly frustrating!!! 

Best Answer

Welcome to the Forums @drakaj.

I can definitely see how this can be very frustrating, thanks for letting me know what you have tried however.

It could be that the Bluetooth connection is having issues so we could try to restart it. You can do so by following the steps I shared in here.

Hope you find this useful! Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I've been having same problems syncing, restarting, blah-blah-blah, with my Charge HR since July. Been successful several times with the restarting/unpairing device, but growing very weary of the process every other day, and searching for a new device.  Seeing that Charge 2 also has the same problems, which I was looking to purchase when Charge 3 came out.  Not sure if it's worth it, if Charge 2 will have same problems. As I have mentioned on the Charge HR sync problem thread... I believe Fitbit is intentionally sending out faulty updates, so that everyone updates to Charge 3.

Best Answer

Hello @Soo59.

Thanks for trying all of those steps when you've had these issues.

I'd like to ask you couple of questions to better understand what is going on:

• What phone are you using to sync?
  • Do you get any sort of error message when you try to sync and it fails? If so, what does it say?

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have a Samsung Galaxy s8+. No error message occurs. It just stops syncing
and then wont re-sync with all the steps taken. And then it takes a long
time trying to re add it to the account if I delete it.

Donna Rakaj
Best Answer
0 Votes

I only sync to my MacBook. Everything worked fine for my first Charge HR, which electronically lasted about a year, but the exterior crumbled apart.  Then used my husband's HR for about six months, until July 2018 when all the problems started (i.e. when there was an update).  HR wouldn't sync, would restart displaying wrong time, wouldn't hold charge for more than half day.  Have gone through literally dozens of restarts - will restart with wrong time, then can't sync. Laptop just says failed sync, try again, blah-blah-blah. Have gone the unpairing route twice - that procedure worked, but the repairing took multiple times as well - couldn't get the code, laptop would sit for hours searching for device.  I would be elated when it was successful, but then device would die by end of day when I was doing all my exercising.  Was very happy with the HR and all the app stats, but it's just too much work now to get it to work. Can't even use it as a watch because it keeps restarting with wrong time/date.

Very reluctant to upgrade to Charge 2 or 3.

Best Answer
I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 phone with an android OS. At the moment syncing
is occurring on demand. I do see the step count go to 0 before the number
syncs but I understand this is a known issue being worked on.

What does not seem to be working as it used to is the continuous all day
syncing. I used to be able to walk around with the phone app open and
watch the step count climb. That is no longer happening but no error
messages either.

As a software developer myself, I get that it may take some time and
investigation to resolve. Just wanted to make you aware so it could be one
step closer to a resolution.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Mine is doing exactly the same since the update.

Donna Rakaj
Best Answer
0 Votes

Forgot the +, my phone is a Galaxy S8+. Seems like this is an issue for others as well.  Good to know it's not just mine.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I believe the issue is with the app, not the Fitbit itself as it does the
same things when I'm using my Flex for water activies (Charge 2 not
waterproof and, except for Flex, the waterproof Fitbits are way too big and
clunky) Since the update last week, it seems to be working better, although
when I first open the app it gives me a huge number of steps (total for the
whole week, perhaps?) then changes to the number that matches what's on the
Charge 2 for the day. Wierd, but I guess I can live with it as long as it's
syncing better.
Best Answer
0 Votes