Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driving is logged as exercise

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I log driving to negate steps that are recorded when I drive. However the driving is counted as an exercise and counts against the weekly goal. This does not make sense!
Best Answer
19 REPLIES 19

welcome aboard to our community @pjec. Indeed, the driving activity will be logged as an exercise and will count for your weekly goal, but only those calories you burned during the driving time. However, all your steps possibly recorded will be deleted. 

DRIVE.png

This screenshot is from my Dashboard and I have entered a driving activity to remove the steps my tracker recorded while I was in the road. As you can see only calories were counted toward my total count and the steps after 4:22 pm were removed, as the arrow shows on my graph.

Hope this helps and let me know how it goes. Robot wink

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
Thank you for the reply. I do understand that driving negates the steps and that calories remain. My point is that driving shouldn't be counted as one of the weekly exercises! Driving is something many of us do each day & it's not an "exercise" as such. I record my driving so that I do not falsely claim steps.

Peter
Best Answer

I was having this same thought. I ride a motorcycle and in the short 30 minute commute it logs about 1500 steps on average. I use a custom activity to negate the steps but it does log as an exercise and this results in me having to keep track of my exercise days in a separate log.

I would rather have a way to negate steps without having to log them as an activity, OR have the ability to negate the activity as an exercise.

Keep Steppin!
Sal
Best Answer

Welcome to the Community my friend @GSaldiveri Smiley Very HappyI'd like to share with you what I do in order to get rid of those annoying driving 'steps'. I have downloaded the 'DriveBit' app to my phone and I've got to tell you it has worked wonders since it does all the hard work of having to manually negate those steps.

The best part is that it's free and the only thing you should do before starting to drive is linking it to your Fitbit accounts. You just open the app and tap Start and Drive. When finished tap Stop/Cancel and it will automatically create a Driving Log negating steps and flights of stairs. As simple as that! Smiley Very Happy

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
Once again this completely misses the point. I too use drivebit. It's excellent but that is totally irrelevant! The point that no one at fitbit seems to see is that we don't want driving recorded as an exercise! Driving isn't an exercise (except maybe in patience). But if I drive once a day for 5 days Fitbit says I've crushed it. Peter
Best Answer
I don't have an issue with manually logging, it only takes a few seconds to do. I was agreeing that it should not be logged as an exercise. It takes away my desire to set exercise goals. Most of the time I hit them without even exercising.
Keep Steppin!
Sal
Best Answer

I have the fitbit change 2 for less than one week and I'm already being disappointed?

I have exactly the same issue and there's no official reply to something like this?

Driving is counting as a normal daily exercise and it is very annoying... I don't work out today but already have the daily exercise goal complete.... yay.

Fitbit app needs to ignore Driving as a valid activity for daily activity goals.

It's not that hard to understand and the support insists on giving ambiguous answers regarding this...  I really don't understand why.

Best Answer

Driving should not be considered a workout.

Please fix this issue. It makes the workout portion worthless for those of us that drive frequently. There's no way someone would consider driving an exercise (unless maybe they are in NASCAR?). This is not as much a feature request as it is a bug. Support says to make voices heard in the forums, and it seems that the moderators just ignore what is an obvious concern.

Please upvote this if you're having similar issues!

Best Answer

Just bought charge 2 and found my excercise goal met too soon as Im logging driving via drivebit.No matter I excercise or not it will show I did and kill all the motivation 😞

Best Answer

Im starting to think the moderators on here are just bots. Either that or they don't even read the forum posts. EVERYONE KNOWS ABOUT DRIVEBIT AND THEY KNOW IT REMOVES THE STEPS! 

The concern is why does driving count as exercise!

Best Answer

So... in 2 years no solutions to this huge problem?? 😞

Best Answer
Yep... really helpful group.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't experience this problem as I don't use GPS or location links. Can you not sort of unsynch while driving so that you appear sedentary? 

Sorry if this seems daft but I am a bit of a luddite and most tech talk goes way over my head .

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Lilbiddy sadly there's no way to do so. It's not a problem of GPS, we don't use it, but every time we take a ride in motorcycle or car, we make a looot aof floors and steps (i made 97 floors fot getting to work yesterday, in scooter 😛 ). We can only use a third party app that add en exercise "driving" in that time, so it mask the surplus of steps and floors, but in this way we have an "exercise" every time we drive, and so my fitbit is sure I make a lot of exercise. When not. And we can't flag this as not counting toward the goals, so we appear to do a lot of sport when not, and become difficult to trak the actual activity 😕

Best Answer
0 Votes

@abissinian, sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick. I have never had this particular problem when I drive or ride. I assumed it was because I never use the GPS or location things on my phone. I don't run or cycle as my knees are a bit past it. I only work out at the gym so I don't need actual tracking. However, I do appreciate how irritating it must be when all your good work is being corrupted by false data. 

Fitbit, help these people.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been asked to raise this as an issue to be voted for by fitbit. The more votes i get the sooner we can get a fix for this highly frustrating issue. Plus vote on the below link 🙂 https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Adding-quot-driving-quot-activity-without-adding...

Best Answer

6 years and counting!! Fitbit are money grabbing time wasters, I categorically DO NOT recommend fitbit to anyone, oh unless you never step foot in any type of vehicle of course 😉 

Best Answer

Exactly. Will never buy another Fitbit. Given such simple things don't get fixed.

Best Answer

Maybe now that Google owns fitbit... 

However I haven't heard of any other company that makes a feature to shut off step counting. 

Best Answer
0 Votes