Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing sleep time changes other sleep categories time

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi there

I have mentioned this before but hope for an answer this time.

I notice that Fitbit does strange things when I edit the wake time to (correctly) match the time I actually awoke as tracked by the Fitbit.

Screenshot here shows an incorrect waking time (and this includes time after I wake up as time awake during tracked sleep). It showed I was asleep until 6:34 when I was then awake from 6:34 until 6:43. I actually woke at 6:34. My time awake was shown as 12%. My time asleep was shown as 6 hours 55 minutes.First incorrect one including time actually awake at the end of the nightFirst incorrect one including time actually awake at the end of the night

Time after returning to screen changed after first editTime after returning to screen changed after first edit

I then edited it to show actual waking time as 6:34 (only removing 9 minutes of actual time awake at the end of the night). The end of the night showed a period where I was asleep (correct). The awake time changed to 11%. The other times didn't change I don't think, but I forgot to take a screen shot at that saved screen.

I then began to write this post, having backed out of the sleep screen to access the community through the app. On returning to the sleep screen to take the second screen shot it's all changed again and it incorrectly shows I was awake from 6:30 to 6:34.

Giving up after editing again as the app insists on adding awake time at the end of the night (when I was actually asleep as shown by Fitbit the first time I checked.Giving up after editing again as the app insists on adding awake time at the end of the night (when I was actually asleep as shown by Fitbit the first time I checked.

Time awake was then shown as 13%. All the other time values are changed too. And total time asleep is now reduced to 6 hours 47 minutes. Editing it again to try to drop the time awake at the end of the night just messed it up more. The final result is obviously out, but surely editing only to remove a bit of time awake at the end shouldn't do this kind of thing?

Ellie

Moderator Edit: Format / Updated Subject For Clarity

Best Answer
2 REPLIES 2

Hello there @Elliekennard, good to see you are visiting the Fitbit Community! My apologies for the late response to your sleep variations concern.

Whenever you edit sleep data recorded by your tracker, note that this will not only eliminate awake time, but will recalculate your overall sleep data and you might loose existing information as the screenshots shown.

If you previously tracked sleep with Fitbit, your log included the time spent awake, restless, and asleep. We’ve fine-tuned the mechanism we use to track sleep in order to estimate your sleep stages by including heart rate and other data. As a result, we’ve combined the time you spend awake and restless into total awake minutes to give you a better sense of your sleep cycles. 

You may notice more awake minutes in sleep stages than in your previous sleep data due to this change.

Hope this helps to address your concerns. Catch you later.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for your reply, @RobertoME

I am not sure, however, what this means for this issue.

The fact is that it showed time awake as time awake. However this time awake was leading up to the official 'awake' time. 

When I removed that from the 'sleep' time (as it was when I had already woken) by editing the time I awoke, it then added extra time when I was, supposedly 'awake' at the end of the sleep. I was asleep at that time, as it correctly calculated before I edited it.

This is presumably just the way software is, so is only a very rough estimate of the sleep, despite fine-tuning? If my edit of waking time, to show actual waking time (as shown to me on the graph) then alters the fact by adding awake time at the end, then is this an 'alternate' fact? I mean it is clearly wrong, even by the app's calculation initially.

Thanks

Ellie

Best Answer