Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Fitbit keeps stopping' - Android

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

i've been using the Fitbit app without any problem for almost 4 years. No change to my Fitbit, nor to my (Android) phone, but in the last couple of weeks I'm getting a message whenever I try to open the app:  'Fitbit keeps stopping'.

Advice, please? Thanks.

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity.

Best Answer
0 Votes
10 REPLIES 10

Hello @gmc1 

I’d try turning off your android phone, wait 1-2 mins then restart your phone and try getting on the Fitbit App to see if that fixed the issue. Hopefully so. If not I’d try uninstalling the Fitbit app and then reinstall it. You won’t lose any data doing so. 
Hopefully this works for you and provides you with the best answer. Let me know. 😃 Happy Stepping! 

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner 

If the phone is running an older version of Android, re-installing would not be an option.

Removing the device from the phone's Bluetooth Settings, then Clearing Cache and Data in the phone App Settings for Fitbit should be the first thing @gmc1 tries, then they would need to setup the device using the app.

Gary D.| Feeding Hills, MA MBG PE

Charge HR, Charge 2, Charge 3, Inspire 2, Charge 4, Charge 5, Pixel Watch 2

Best Answer
0 Votes

@gdio53 @SunsetRunner Nice to see you again here. Thanks for your help. 

@gdio53 You are correct, if the Android Version is below the minimum requirement, uninstalling and reinstalling is not an option. 

@gmc1 Welcome to the forums. I beliebe the app is being forced to stop. Please make sure the app is up to date. You can check that in the Google Play Store. I am interested in knowing the Android Version of your smartphone. Minimum requirement is Android 10 now. If you have not changed your smartphone in 4 years, it could be that your Android version is outdated. That could be causing the app to stop, since it is no longer supported. Compatible with Fitbit - click here.

Have a nice day!

RodrigoM | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer
Thanks so much for the helpful responses. Since my initial post, I've
now managed to install an updated version of the Fitbit app. Now it will
open - progress! HOWEVER, once in the app, it keeps telling me
'Bluetooth Not Available', despite bluetooth being turned 'on'. So I
can't sync my Charge 2.

My phone is running Android 10.

Thanks again.
Best Answer

Hello again @gmc1 

First and foremost I’m thrilled you were able to get a new version of the Fitbit App installed on your Android Phone!! Have you tried turning your Bluetooth off then back on again? Is the Charge 2 showing at all in your Bluetooth list?

Let me know 😃

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes, I'm afraid I have! It's still saying 'Bluetooth Not Available'.
What I also notice is that, under 'Settings' and 'Connected devices with
Bluetooth', my phone keeps relegating my Charge 2 to 'Previously
connected devices'. I change it back to 'Currently Connected' but it
defaults again after a minute or two.

Could it be the Charge 2 which is faulty?
Best Answer
0 Votes
The Android version is 10 and the app is the most up to date available
for Charge 2 in the Google Play Store.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello again @gmc1 

Lets set up your tracker as a new device: 

1. Go to the Bluetooth settings on your phone and check if your tracker is on the list of paired devices. If it is, tap on it and select Forget this Device.
  2. Open the Fitbit app and tap on profile picture at the top left corner of the screen, then tap on "Set up a New Device"
  3. Choose your tracker and follow the onscreen instructions to continue
  4. When the app asks you to replace your current tracker, tap replace it and continue with the process.
  5. When a pop-up appears asking you to Pair your tracker to your device, tap on Pair and continue.

Let me know how it goes 😃

Best Answer
0 Votes
Again, thanks so much for your willingness to help! I'm afraid I can't
see the Account symbol in the top right of the screen (Fitbit app).
Instead I have an envelope symbol which takes me to Messages and
Notifications.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Please read again, I edited that…it should read tap your profile picture at the upper left for step 2

Best Answer
0 Votes