Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forcing Fitbit accounts to become Google accounts

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit by Google was announced when the new devices were released. If you buy a new device you have to use a Google account from 2023, all others can wait until 2025. In their statement they refer to Googles binding commitments when it comes to data sharing.

"We plan to enable use of Fitbit with a Google account sometime in 2023. Google accounts on Fitbit will support a number of benefits for Fitbit users, including a single login for Fitbit and other Google services, industry-leading account security, centralized privacy controls for Fitbit user data, and more features from Google on Fitbit. Consistent with Google’s binding commitments, Google will not use Fitbit health and wellness data for Google Ads."

At this point they have said nothing about which features those migrating to Google Account will get, but I guess it is something that is hard to say no to.Why? 

In the commitment made with EU Google promised that Fitbit data would be kept in a "Data silo" seperated from other Google services. Our data is valuable, and many would like access to our health data, and are willing to pay a lot to get access to them. 

Do I trust Google to keep my health data safe, and not selling them? With their history in Europe - Goole has been fined more than they have paid in taxes. They make so much money on our data that they don't mind to pay several 100s of millions dollars in fines. My answer is: No I do not trust them, but I think they will not sell health data from their European users..

Do you trust Google to keep your data safe?

Moderator Edit: Word choice

Fitbit user since September 2019
Sense2 Sense, Charge3, Android, Windows
Best Answer
2 REPLIES 2

https://www.fitbit.com/global/us/technology/compatible-devices.  That is where it is explained, with more information here - click to read.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 9

Best Answer
0 Votes

What? That explains absolutely nothing.

Fitbit user since September 2019
Sense2 Sense, Charge3, Android, Windows
Best Answer
0 Votes