Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing pace and distance after using GPS tracker

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

So, this is the second day this has happened to me.  I go for my walk.  I turn the Tracker on and wait for the GPS to find my location.  I go for the walk, checking occasionally my pace and distance.  It seems to be all working fine.  Then when I end the walk on the tracker and wait for my pace and distance stats, NOTHING happens.  It's like all the distance and pace information is gone and the only info left are calories. time and steps.

Should I delete the automatic exercise detection??

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

@honeygirl  Which tracker are you using?  Also, what version of iOS is on your phone?  What version of the Fitbit app do you have? 

There have many complaints about the connected GPS when iOS 11 was released.  But your issue seems to be very new.  A new version of the app was released on Dec 13.  Did your problem start with the newest version of the app?

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have an Android version 7.1.1.  Just realized this was in the IOS forum.

Also, I use an Alta.  Went outside for two test walks and when I stopped altogether at the end of the walk, the exercise was recorded fine.  But in the earlier walk, I walked around for maybe 1 minute more.  That's really strict.  I am almost tempted to take the tracker off until I see the walk exercise recorded. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@honeygirl  I will move your post to the Android forum.  I think it might get the right kind of attention there.

Do you get a map with the walks that are missing the data?

I do not use an Alta.  You should also browse the Alta forums to see if others are having the same issue.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks.  No, the map is missing.  Today, after my walk I took off my Alta and then ended the tracking.  That seems to do the trick.  Just so weird.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@honeygirl  Although I do not own an Alta, I am familiar with the features of the different trackers.  One of the things you are saying doesn't add up for me.  You say that you are starting your walk on your tracker.  To me, this means using the multi-sport (exercise) mode.  The multi-sport mode uses connected GPS.  This is not a feature of the Alta/Alta HR.  The Alta/Alta HR can auto-recognize certain activities.  There is no map/pace with auto-recognized activities.

Can you describe in more detail how you are tracking your walk?

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LZeeW: This issue happened when I wear my Alta as well as use the GPS exercise tracker in the FitBit app.  I use the Alta to track the steps and the Track Exercise feature in the FitBit app to track distance and pace.  

After my walks now, I talk the Alta and stop the exercise tracker in the app and everything goes fine.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@honeygirl  I am going to go out on a limb here -- I think you are getting conflict between the auto-recognized walk picked up by your Alta and the data collection of the app.

If you always start and stop your walk with the app, then I think you should turn off the auto-recognized feature of the app.  I'm pretty sure the Android app is the same as iOS for this function.  From the app dashboard tap on account, then go down to Exercise.  Tap on Walk, then toggle it off.

When you use the app, you will have a firm start and stop time.  Auto-recognized activities have some built in allowable pauses, but don't stop until you stop moving for a short while.  If, for example, you stopped your exercise walk, but continued walking in your house, your tracker senses this as still walking and continues collecting data. 

Here is a link to the MobileRun help page.  MobileRun is Fitbit's name for tracking in the app.

I hope this answer helps you.  Like I said, I am going out on a limb -- I don't have an Alta and I am an iPhone user! Smiley Happy

Update:  I found another post where a Moderator said that MobileRun (the app) is not supposed to conflict with Smarttrack (auto-recognized activities).  But that post is over two years old.  Updates in the app and device firmware might have made that post obsolete.  I still vote for using the app and turning off the auto-recognize function for walking.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same issue with my alta when manually starting activity tracking on my phone, if i turn off bluetooth on my phone during it will report route/distance/splits correctly but when leaving it conected i get the the end and stop logging and it fails to sync the data

Android: 8.1.0

fitbit: 2.63

Alta firmware: 21.21.40.2

Best Answer
0 Votes