Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorola Moto G5 (2017) can sync with Charge 2

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Just in case some of you are considering the new Moto G5 (5th gen. 2017): I received mine today and my Charge 2 had no problem syncing with it, although it is not (yet?) listed as a compatible device. Same with my Surge, btw.

For those of you in America, only the bigger Moto G5 Plus will make it there. However, I assume the internals (OS = Android 7.0 + Bluetooth) are the same as far as Fitbit is concerned.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
79 REPLIES 79
Maybe I should trade in my blaze for the charge 2 (naa). I still don't get
phone call notifications and am resigned to the fact that fitbit will always
be an apple lover.
Best Answer

Regretfully my Moto G5 Plus is NOT compatible with the Alta HR that I returned today after numerous attempts to sync it. It would sync once and then forget that "it had" and I would have to start trying everything again. Not worth it, now I'm left with a bitter taste from Fitbit I don't know if I should give them another chance.

Best Answer
Either buy an iPhone or a different sports watch. I gave up on trying to
sync my blaze. I just use my phone to do phone stuff and blaze to do what
it can do.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, thanks for the advise, but I'm an Android user and believe that if Fitbit wants me as a client, they should appeal to as many Android phones as possible. I'm lucky to be an Amazon Prime member, so I returned the Alta HR easily, I will now see what my next step is. I may go down market, rather down go up market. thank you.

Best Answer

I just got the Alta hr and randomly got it to sync with my g5 but now it won't. I wish I had looked this to ahead of time. I love everything else about the Alta. I had the surge and that also had problems syncing, but I eventually could get it to. Weird though it does pair with my phone but won't sync to do steps

Best Answer

Let me know if you find a good path!

Best Answer
0 Votes

It’s possible there’s something specific to Alta HR <-> Moto G5. My Moto G5 has been able to sync with the Charge 2, the Surge and now the Ionic, but its Bluetooth cannot even see the Alta HR (which I sync via my iPad).

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer
I've been able to snyc my blaze consistently but the phone alerts never
really work. Get an iPhone and Fitbit works fine. I'm not sure what other
tracking devices work with Motorola phones
Best Answer
0 Votes

Dominique, The issue I have had since I got my phone is the ability to get phone call alerts. Syncing for steps and text messages works fine with the G5

Best Answer

I can add my voice to the others that the Alta HR has significant problems syncing to the Moto G5 Plus. Will be pursuing an exchange.

Best Answer

I'm about to return my Alta HR as well. It will sync once, then I have to delete the device and re setup if I want it to sync again. Pain in the....

This is my first fitness band and I'm definitely not happy about it not syncing. 

Best Answer

Buy an iPhone and then you get all the functionality of the Fitbit 😀...if you find a sports watch that works with your phone, keep me posted.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Chalk me up as another annoyed customer whose new moto g5 plus will not sync with the Alta.   

As a software developer that spends a good chunk of time doing QA work on mobile, I am really dissatisfied with fitbit. The moto g line is the king of budget smartphones, and one of the most recommended phones, and as a consumer peripheral maker, fitbits devices should be compatible. The fact that some devices work, and yet my g5 cannot even find the Alta on Bluetooth after initial pairing shows that fitbit is using poor arcitectual practices. For the record, my $10 mifit band paired without an issue.   

What phone specific issues are you having that prevent creating software that works across all Android devices?   

Apple makes developers jump through more hoops, and testflight is more cumbersome than side loading Android apks. The biggest problem with Android is probably getting all of the devices in house, and having a large enough QA team for testing. It is unacceptable for a company the size of fitbit to run such an old compatability list. The fitbit project managers should feel embarrassed.  

Hope whatever road blocks that are in need the way get sorted out, and fitbit figures out how to support at least the top 10 most popular phones. 

Best Answer

Hey @Damy67, have you seen the "compatible device list" thread? https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Android-App/Compatible-Device-List-Last-Updated-10th-July-17/td-p/18...

It's baffling. Basically no android device works from any brand and no device has been added in ages. I've been trying for ages to get a statement from fitbit regarding what's the underlying issue to no avail.

Seriously, I've got a Hauwei, which overtook Apple as market share the last quarter, and it's not just unsupported, it doesn't sync at all!

Best Answer

So I ended up following the recommendation I read in another thread after I returned my Alta. I bought a Charge 2 and it has worked fairly seemlessly with my Moto G5 Plus. I say "pretty" because notifications don't come through reliably, but otherwise it is syncing fine. I hope that this helps, if you are willing to live with that compromise, which I feel is ridiculous. But notifications are not the reason why I bought my fitness tracker, so I'm willing to let it slide.

Best Answer

Apparently you were lucky. I've got a charge 2 and it just doesn't sync with "new" (post 2015) android phone. But I've indeed read that the charge 2 works for some others. 

I also don't care at all about notifications. But syncing and connected GPS are fundamental for me. Not syncing is like not having it.

Best Answer

@luca85 wrote:

I've got a charge 2 and it just doesn't sync with "new" (post 2015) android phone..

What is your "post-2015 Android phone"? In this topic, we’re talking specifically about the 5th gen. Motorola Moto G (2017). I have one (I’m the topic starter) and I’ve had no problem syncing with the Charge 2, Surge and now Ionic. I didn’t try notifications with Charge 2 and Surge, but they do work with the Ionic. Here are Gmail and WhatsApp notifications:

ionic motog5 notifications.jpg

However, even if notifications didn’t work, it wouldn’t be the end of the world for me. Like @gonzalezebra, the main purpose of my Fitbit is to track my activity, not to alert me of every single incoming e-mail or text.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
0 Votes
You are correct in the statement that my fitbit blaze is used to track my
steps and workouts and it does a really good job of it. Its just that when
fitbit advertises all the features of the blaze that includes alerts when
you get a phone call, I considered that when making my purchase. Had I known
that it doesn't fully work with most newer (post 2015) motorola phones, I
would have considered another product.
Best Answer

My Alta HR worked excellently with my Moto G5 plus for months and months. It’s synced constantly and reliably gave me alerts. Suddenly a month or two ago it stopped working. Every few days it randomly syncs, but not regularly. I'm well past any return period. Now I’m stuck with a Fitbit that  used to work and now doesn’t. All Fitbit had to say was the standard it’s not listed on our compatible devices page, try a compatible device. 

Best Answer

Same here.  My alta hr worked great with my moto g (3rd gen).  I upgraded to a g5 plus and now it has trouble syncing and pushing notifications.    

Obviously Fitbit is not interested in the Android business anymore.

My phone is more important than my tracker, and I'm not going to choose a phone/platform based on what Fitbit feels like supporting.  Very disappointed as my overpriced alta hr is now basically garbage.   Last time I buy a Fitbit.

They could support these devices, they choose not to for whatever reason.

Best Answer