Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need for Location to Sync

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

When will you correct the need for Location to sync with the app? According to posts here you've known about this issue for at least 5 months. Your product is worthless to me if I have to have the location on to get the information in the app.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Take a look at this post from last October. It looks like the need for location services was a decision made by Google rather than Fitbit. 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
18 REPLIES 18

A warm welcome to the Community @grnid_grl. To sync your Charge HR, you just need to have activated the internet connection and the bluetooth. If by having these things on you are experiencing syncing problems, I recommend following the Syncing Troubleshoot.

I hope this helps, let me know the outcome! Woman Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for your response that did not address my problem. My fitbit will sync if I have Location activated on my phone. I never activate the location on my phone unless I am using my phone as a GPS device. When will fitbit address the problem of the requirement for the location to be on in order to sync. According to other posts on the forum this has been a known issue for at least 5 months since Android 6.0 started releasing, my phone just updated to 6.0 and I have not seen a satisfactory answer as to when you plan to remedy this issue. If my fitbit doesn't automatically sync it is worthless to me. 

Best Answer

Take a look at this post from last October. It looks like the need for location services was a decision made by Google rather than Fitbit. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I'm in the same boat. Looks like I'm dumping Fitbit, because I refuse to have location on all day and it's draining my Flex battery if I don't.
Best Answer
Ive had my fitbit for a few months now with no issues. But this week my Flex just started being extremely unreliable, it needs the location on to sync all of a sudden, and it's not tracking for major chunks out of the day. I can't have my GPS on all day, all it does is drain my data and my battery. I'm not a happy camper. What's the deal fitbit?
Best Answer
0 Votes

@SapphireSundae Welcome to our Community! If you are running Android Marshmallow on your phone then please be aware that Google now requires location services to be turned on to sync bluetooth devices. You can check their website for more information. This is not a bug nor is a change made by Fitbit.

Regarding the Flex it should record your activity and save 7 days of minute by minute data and 23 additional days of general data. If it isn't working as it should try restarting it by doing the following:

1.- Plug your charging cable into the USB port and insert your tracker into the charging cable.
2.- Insert a paperclip into the small pinhole on the back of the charger.
3.- Press on the pinhole for 3-4 seconds.
4.- Take your tracker out of the charger and insert it back into the wristband.

Let me know how it goes!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

How come all my other bluetooth devices don't require location services to work? I'm pretty sure this can be corrected.

Is fitbit trying to correct this? Or would that disrupt the ability to track our location?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@bgraham111 Welcome to our Community! As posted above you can read google's developers page where it shows that location services is required. This wasn't required before to sync and if you have a compatible device running Android Lollipop (5) you should be able to sync without location services.

I'll be around!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Unfortunately, location on is now required to sync (comes up as a pop up in the app).

And it is exceptionally unnecessary.

Best Answer

Blaming google is not a solution. 

This seems like a game of hot potato - just with blame instead.

How many customers do you think they would lose when people find out you have to give up your location to sync data? This is rediculous. 

Best Answer

I am not buying that this is a google issue. My wife told me her fitbit was not syncing so after looking at it found that she was correct. I also have the same fitbit she does and mine was working fine. So I went and updated the FITBIT app on my android phone and guess what, now I am required to have location services on. How can that be a google issue when I only updated the fitbit app.

I too will be getting rid of my fitbit if this is not corrected. My wife will also get rid of hers.

Best Answer

If you choose to leave your GPS location off, will the Fitbit charge 2 still track the data throughout the day and sync up once you turn the GPS location back on?

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner, it isn't the GPS that needs to be on, it is Google Location Services that needs to be enabled. Yes, the Charge 2 will track data throughout the day without the phone even being on or near it, as long as you don't plan to use the Connected GPS capabilities. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Last December I bought a new phone that is an Android device as was my old phone. It is a different version but neither was Marshmallow. I now have to have location and internet connection to sync my flex. The biggest difference between them is the old phone was a Motorola and my new phone is a Samsung J3.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Completely agree with your problem. Have it too. I just turn on location at the end of my day to sync my steps. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry, I'm not buying the Google blame game either.  I noticed the message about requiring location to sync in the Fitbit app sometime ago, but also observed that it continued to sync with my One just fine when the app first opened.  So all I had to do was open the app to sync.  I've always kept the OS on my Samsung Galaxy S6 up to date - currently 7.0 which I've had for a while now - no problems.

Now today it refused to sync even when opening the app.  What changed?  The app was updated over night.  This is completely a Fitbit desire to collect and probably sell my location.

I'm fine with you getting all the data you can from people willing to give it.  But if you can't honor my desire for privacy, I guess I'll be looking for another pedometer.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was frustrated yesterday and chimed in too soon.  I don't know what changed but the app is working again - successfully syncs with my One when I open the app with location services turned off.

Best Answer
0 Votes

its not solely a choice made by google. if not other fitness trackers wouldn't sync without location. but there are other trackers that do.  polar360 garmin and a few others all sync with bluetooth only and no location.

Best Answer