Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with bar code scanning with Nexus 5x

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've tried several times to make a food diary entry using the bar code scanner with my new Nexus 5x. Here's what happens, and what I've done.

I attempt to scan a bar code, the fitbit app shows the barcode .... like forever, displaying the message: "still working" until I finally give up.  Once in a while, it will actually take the picture, but then says the item is not in the database and asks me to take pictures of the product, nutrition panel, etc. 

I tried using a bar code scanner app (not fitbit) on the 5x and it worked instantly, providing complete info about the product. 

I tried using the fitbit app with my moto x (2013).  It worked perfectly.  Each time it recognized products correctly and entered them into my food log.  The same foods that the fitbit app did not recognize using the 5x.  I find this bizarre. 

Bob B

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

Hi @OldBob3301

Have moved this thread from the Charge HR to the Android App section to increase the chance of getting a solution.

Your post will get more attention here.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks.  I'm new to the forum, so I'm just feeling my way through.  I am aware that the Nexus 5x is not in the fitbit compatibility list.  On the other hand, fitbit is apparently aware of the 5x and the 6p phones, since they are listed in the help files as being working with MobileTrack.  The ONLY problem that I've found with the 5x and the fitbit app is that I cannot log food by means of the barcode scanner. 

I have tested the phone with other barcode scanners without finding any issues.  I do note that they are all slower to lock on the barcode than when testing on a Moto X, but not by much.  I have had the app apparently read the barcode, but could not locate the scanned item in the food database.  That was not true with the moto x. 

It's too bad, because I really do like to scan some of my food items.  Using the food lookup tool does drive me crazy at times. 

Best Answer
Having the same issue and not sure if it is because of compatibility. Really missing this feature, but everything else is working great. Any solutions out there??
Best Answer

I just got a Nexus 5x with Android 6.0.1 and am having the same problem... barcodes were not being recognized.  After a bit of trial and error, I found that if I rotate the phone so it is perpendicular to the barcode, it scans correctly every time.  Very strange.  But at least it works.  I would be interested to hear if that works for anyone else.

Best Answer
Perhaps my problem was a blessing in disguise. Frustration drove me to look for a different solution. I discovered that myfitnesspal plays well with the fitbit app and is (at least for the present) much superior to the fitbit app for food entry. The two apps talk to each other and I have the best of both worlds. Myfitnesspal does not have an issue with badcodes and the Nexus5x, plus it shows me lots of other nutrition info in my daily food log. This is not to dis the fitbit app, but just to point out an alternative with benefits.
Best Answer

Confirmed that rotating the barcode works for a Nexus 5x. So weird but at least it works now. Thanks!

Best Answer