Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammers using Fitbit profiles

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I get multiple friend requests from men a day. If I accept 9/10 ask for my email within the 1st day to communicate on google hangout. Can we have a place somewhere where we report these people or does it exist. I changed my profile pic, it only had my face and no other body parts on it, I'm still am getting 5-10 requests a week. I know it can't be stopped, but I've used fitbit for years, this problem only started happening to the extreme within the past 6 months. Anyway we can also make it only for people who have fitbits? None of these people do, when you ask if they have a fitbit they play dumb or say a regular Fitbit watch. This is happening too often. I just did a google image search on one and he's a known scammer. Multiple accounts in different sites and using the pic of a dr from Turkey. What can we do about this? 

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi everyone, and welcome to our new members.

Thanks for your continued reports and feedback about this situation. Unfortunately, scammers and bad actors may cause issues in the Fitbit community. Fitbit is committed to continuously improving the safety and security of our community, and thoroughly investigates and takes action on all reported posts, comments, and profiles. We encourage community members to report specific profiles or content that violates our guidelines as this is best way to keep the Fitbit community safe. We continue to moderate activity and look for new ways to ensure the best possible community experience.

I'm going to close this thread from further comments. However, if you have another question related to a Fitbit device or service, please start a new thread in the Help Forums to receive help from the Community.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
24 REPLIES 24

Hello @CathyB1007, welcome to the Community Forums! 

Thanks for bringing this to my attention and the details that were shared in your post, I totally understand how frustrating this matter can be for you and even more if you receive several friend requests per week from such profiles. Let me share with you that you can now report inappropriate profiles, for instructions please check this article

Also please keep in mind that you have the option to block the user friend requesting you, in addition to not accepting the friend request. Instead, please choose to "ignore" the request.

Thanks for your patience while we look into this problem further. 

Best Answer

Thank you for your reply. I have blocked, I have ignored, I have not responded back. The fact that I actually did an image search and found that there is a scammer using someone else's pictures to represent themselves should be alarming. I know you can't monitor all of the profiles that come through Fitbit, however, sending me a message and at least asking who the person is would've been nice so it looks like your doing something about it. I know it's difficult to run such a large app and control what goes on. I have enough problems with a private facebook group I run and that's 2,000 people. But I can give you proof this person is in fact a spammer. So.....I'm asking you what can fitbit do about this? I know what I can do, and I do it frequently. But this specific person is in fact a reported spammer using someone else's picture to represent themselves. So what can we do about this type of thing besides block, or report their profile?

Best Answer

@CathyB1007  you may have already done this, but make your profile private or only available to friends.

Best Answer

Thank you I will make sure to do that. 

Best Answer

Blocking does not stop these scammers. They are ruining the quality of the community groups. If an account has multiple blocks Fitbit NEEDS to shut that account down!!! No activity means they DO NOT have a Fitbit product but are destroying the sense of community Fitbit has tried so hard to build. 

Best Answer

I agree which is why I wrote the original post! It's awful and I think ther needs to be a way that if you don't have a registered Fitbit device then you don't get to use the Fitbit app. You can't even post a picture of yourself without 10 or more friends requests of non Fitbit users trying to pick you up. I had my profile pic as my face, nothing provocative at all, I had to change my profile pic! I've finally stopped getting 5-10 new requests a week. There's dating apps if you want to pick someone up. I had a weird feeling about 1 particular person and did a Google image search found out be was using someone else's picture. When I said I know your a scammer, people like you seriously make me sick stealing other people's pics! His response was, yes my pic does get stolen a lot! Really!? Like I bought that! You can't do anything anymore and I'm not the only one upset about it. Thank you for not just telling me to block or make my profile private it's nice someone else is actually upset about this. I wanted Fitbit to do something!

Best Answer

Totally agree bc this is crazy! I get 5 a week with no activity, no posts, then i get messages of how pretty i am. Wtf! Fitbit really needs to put an end to this bc i think I am not using the community threds for support and motivation anymore. Its sad and my account is on private!

Best Answer

I don't even post to the community that often. I sign onto the app maybe once a day to check my sleep stats and my challenges and that's it. Since I changed my profile picture its stopped, but I shouldn't have to do that, I should be able to have a picture of my face without having to worry about scammers.

Best Answer

I fully agree with you! 

I've been back to fitbit since late April and this has been a real problem for me too. I've read other threads on this topic, far older than this one! And every time the moderators are saying, they are working on it! But why is nothing happening? 

Every time I post in a community, I get several requests with people messaging me! It should not be solely our responsibility to keep the community safe... especially when you have to report or block about 3 to 5 people a week! It's not enjoyable anymore. And genuine users start distrusting one another. I find no more help or support there because everybody seems to get uneasy or harassed.

Best Answer

I get those types of friend requests from men, too,  including those with no steps and no activity on their profile page, and when they ask to move to WhatsApp or Hangouts, I immediately block them. 

Best Answer

Can you share the initials of the person you are referring too. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

In last two day i got friend requires from females. They immediately started chatting and asked abut personal information like where do i belong, nationality, race, married / unmarried. They all ended up asking me about my phone number to have chat on whatsaap. I never gave my number. i suspected them as potential scammer as they are communicated to me in a same way. Two of them said they are in Iran deployed by USA military. They all have almost no activity on their fitbit but just 2 or 3 pics. One thing common i found in all those women that they had all boys in their friends. Just to warn you guys to be aware of scammers. 

Best Answer
I had that happen to me, but only men asked me similar questions and for my
WhatsApp. I refused and blocked them.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Excellent Cathy you express my own feelings so well ! I also check out their profile images and so many many scammers that I block, report but it continues. Doctor's, Majors, widowers with children.. The same profile picture (stolen of course) time and again with a different name. Pathetic

Barbara
Best Answer

One of the things I have noted is how so many are US-born but living and working overseas. 

Best Answer
That's interesting. I've noticed similar, like born in Germany, moved to
the US as a kid. :germany:
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Cathy.  This affects me also.  How can you do a Google image search?  Thank you 

it seems to be all these “men” have beards and are wearing sunglasses.  Thanks for your help 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I totally agree. There are “scammers” that pose as men and women.  You can never really tell who or where they are.  Disgraceful 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes and they all “own their own company” and tell sad stories of ha ing lost their spouse and children in a horrific car crash.   Disgusting 

Best Answer
0 Votes