Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sense - Notification Service Not Running

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Every day, my notifications stop, and I see the message saying "Notification service not running. A phone restart is required to re-enable notification on your tracker" when I click on the Sense in the app. I am using an android phone. My apps are not optimized. I've restarted my phone numerous times. I've reinstalled the app. I've cleared the cache and storage. However, every single day, I am blessed with the message of my notification service failure. Why is this happening? I can't possibly be expected to clear the cache and restart my phone every time this garbage occurs (which, once again, is daily). I believe that this started with the latest update, prior to that it was working fine. I'm sorry for the tone of this message, I'm beyond frustrated.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@Anujita Welcome to the forums. I will gladly help you with the notification service of the Fitbit app.

Earlier on this thread I was able to find the following suggestion. Make sure that the app is in the internal storage. It seemed to have helped other users. 

I also recommend that you try the tips in the following article: . Pleas make sure that the Fitbit app is allowed to run in the background. Else the connections will be interrupted automatically by your Android device: 

RodrigoM | Community Moderator, Fitbit

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
33 REPLIES 33

I had the same problem when I moved Fitbit app data to memory card. Problem dissapeared when I moved Fitbit app data back to phone internal storage.

Best Answer
  • First, the you should make sure their phone is within 30 feet of their Fitbit device and notifications are turned on.
  • If your phone is unlocked, their Fitbit won't show the notification.
  • Do Not Disturb/Sleep Mode must be off on both the Fitbit and the smartphone.
  • If there is more than one Bluetooth connection, it can cause issues with the Fitbit.
  • You should try force quitting the Fitbit app.
  • You can also turn Bluetooth off and on through their smartphone's settings.
  • You can also try to turn 'Share System Notifications' off and on.
  • Restarting or sometimes resetting the Fitbit can resolve this issue too

Best Answer

@ckowy42 Welcome to the Community Forums. @avantgardo and @LeVuong It's good to see you here.

@ckowy42 Thanks for every step tried prior to posting. I understand how frustrating this can be and I'm sorry for this inconvenience. To look into this situation, may I know the model and OS version of your phone? Because you mentioned this started with the latest update, do you mean the Fitbit app or your Sense? Even though you've tried some steps, please make sure to exhaust the tips described in this help article.

@LeVuong and @avantgardo Thanks for stopping by and sharing these great suggestions. I'm sure other members experiencing similar issues will find your post very helpful.

Hope this helps.

Best Answer

Hi there, thank you for helping me to address this frustrating issue. I have a OnePlus 3, Android version 9. The issues started with the last Fitbit Sense update. I've tried everything in the help article, and yet every day, I am seeing the same message telling me that my notifications service is not running.

Best Answer

Hi @ckowy42. It's good to see you again.

You're welcome, thanks to you for getting back with the requested information. I'm sorry this issue persists with your Sense. While checking, it seems our team was informed of this issue experienced with Huawei devices and it's odd you're getting the same message. Given this situation, let me recommend reconnecting your watch to your account to monitor its behavior:

1. Forget your Sense from the Bluetooth settings.
  2. Turn off other Bluetooth connections and force stop the Fitbit app.
  3. Restart your watch to refresh its performance.
  4. Open the Fitbit app, tap your profile picture > Set Up a Device.
  5. Select your Sense, tap Replace Device and follow the on-screen instructions.

Once this is completed, set up the notifications one more time and try receiving a notification on your Sense. Make sure the Fitbit app has been allowed to run in the background as described in this help article.

Hope this helps.

Best Answer

Thank you for the suggestion, I've just followed your instructions, hopefully this solution works. I will update in a few days. 

Best Answer

Hi there, @ckowy42.

You're welcome! Thanks to you for taking the time to try the suggestions shared above. Please monitor the behavior of your Sense in the next days and let me know if the issue persists, so I can continue helping you with this matter.

Have a good day.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

I'm having similar issues.. I tried all of the steps mentioned in this thread, but nothing seems to work..

Fitbit and Fitbit app are on latest updates.

I have a Xiaomi Mi 9 Lite, running android 10.

Any idea what could cause/solve this?

Kind regards,

Jarl

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is battery management turned off for the Fitbit App?

Best Answer

This was indeed the case! Changing this and doing a restart + turning messages off and on again did the trick. Thanks 🙂

Best Answer

This definitely helped! Thank you so much! 

FYI using a OnePlus 7 and Fitbit sense

Best Answer

Hi there @Superdude_92 and welcome to the forums, @Tsjarly@Rich_Laue Thanks for your great help!

@Tsjarly and @Superdude_92 Thanks for your efforts while troubleshooting the Sense. I'm glad the steps shared by our friend worked for you and I'm sure your comments will also help other members visiting the Community.

By the way, let me invite you to visit our Health & Wellness board. In this place you can share your experiences, meet people and create new topics.

Have a good one! 😊

Best Answer
0 Votes

actually, it worked initially, but after 2 days it stopped again. I don't think the idea is to keep going over all these steps every other day 😅

Best Answer

Hello, is this still an issue for huaweii devices please? 

This is happening every day for me too? What can I do please? 

Thanks

Best Answer

Hi there, @Tsjarly@Jess2013 Welcome on board.

@Tsjarly Thanks for keeping me posted. I understand your point of view about constantly troubleshooting your Sense and appreciate your feedback about this situation. Because you have a different phone's mode, I'd recommend contacting our Support team so they can investigate and see what can be done for you. They're available via chat and phone, just click here to get connected with them.

@Jess2013 Thanks for joining this thread. This is an issue that is affecting our Huawei users and I'm sorry you're also having this experience. Our team is aware of it and they're currently working to identify a resolution as quickly as possible. While there isn't a time frame, please know your feedback will be passed along to them.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same issue. My phone is Huawei. The notification just worked once. And then totally died  

I read all the messages above and tried every method mentioned.

It is annoying to lose the notification function. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm not sure what has been tried @H----

Power management is disabled for the fitbit app? 

Have you disabled notifications and set them. I again? This is the easiest way to get the correct permissions set. 

Best Answer

Hi there @LizzyFitbit,  Has this got a solution yet?, as its exactly what is happening with my new Sense on my Huawei phone and its very frustrating as it was one of the reasons I changed to this watch!

Best Answer

Hi there, @fig46uk.

Thanks for joining this thread and letting me know about your Sense. I understand how frustrating this can be and I'm sorry you're going through this experience. Our team is still working on this situation and while I don't have further details, please know your feedback will be passed along to keep them informed of the impact to you and other members.

I appreciate your efforts while working on this matter and if you haven't done so, please check the suggestions shared by @Rich_Laue.

See you around.

Best Answer