Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sleep data with new layout

I suppose there was an update. The app presents sleep data differently.  Have others noticed this?

I miss seeing how long episodes of awake, light, REM and deep sleep are

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity.

Best Answer
781 REPLIES 781

The new update is horrible. It’s harder to read at a glance. I was hoping there was a way to revert back to the old. 

Best Answer

The new displays in the ap are absolutely horrible and a significant downgrade from the old displays on iPhone. From sleep tracking to the daily step page, everything is much worse. Can we go back?

Best Answer

I hate the new updated sleep recording . It's not accessible, harder to read and I've given up. 

Best Answer

I’ve been designing software/UI for 25 years and the changes to the sleep graphs are shockingly bad. You should never break up bar graphs with text in between the bars. The brain doesn’t process data well when you have to alternate between reading text and bars. Much better to have text at the left axis (dimensions - Deep, Light, REM, Awake) and/or as a label (value) at the end of the bars. That allows you to keep the bars together for easy comparison. Stunned that they got rid of the reference band/line values. What’s the point of a reference band if you can’t see what the values are at the upper/lower end of the range (which you used to show). Now my sleep is being compared to an unknown blob. Same thing for the reference point for my 30 day average. I used to be able to see what my 30 day average is (as a number) but now it’s just a random dot. I know it’s supposed to be a percentage of total sleep, but if I were new to Fitbit, I wouldn’t even know whether it was meant to be my number of minutes or % of sleep over the last 30 days (again, no clarity on either what it represents or what the value is). The old graphs worked. The sleep time series stinks, too. Same issue - breaking up the line with text, so it’s no longer a time series line. I don’t know what you’d call it. It was beautiful before. The only change I kind of understand is the change to color-blind-friendly colors, but even there it would be nicer to have an option, because the old colors made more sense for a non-color- blind person. Tweaks to make: you HAVE to label the reference lines/bands with values. I’d even be happy if I could click on the band or point and see a values in a tool tip (though still wouldn’t be as good as the original graphs). You also have to remove the text between the bars and put them at the axis and/or end of the bars. Data visualization principles 101, Google! 

Best Answer

The new sleep dashboard metric look is cheap looking and rather useless compared to the former look. Google strikes out again. Worst decision ever for Fitbit to align with Google. Bring back the original format and leave Google in the dust!

Best Answer

With with the new Fitbit update and over a thousand negative reviews Fitbit just doesn't care as we are stuck with a useless watch and they've already gotten their money from our subscriptions. What options are other people looking at for switching out of a fitbit? Two major issues with this update. I used to be able to easily look at how many steps I had a day and it would bring everything up so I could look at my history all at once. Now you have to tap on week month Etc and it's not efficient. But the worst part is the update on the sleep. I can no longer see what times of night I'm awake and for how long at a time. I've complained to Fitbit numerous times as they do have the ability to offer an option to either roll back to that or included as a second option as I have had this happen with other apps. Again Fitbit just doesn't care because they think they've got us all over a barrel.

Best Answer
Thank you for the info. Makes it a little better!
Best Answer

Thank you so much for making my words so much clearer as I didn't have the programming/designing background that you do. You've put my criticisms and suggestions in language that Fitbit's designers might better absorb and understand.

I've already seen some computer mags talking about this issue so it' now getting out in the public and will certainly affect the Google bottom line.

Since they will never consider reverting back to the original version, I've recommended the following:

1) understand the best parts of the older version. Most of that input is already in thousands for forum posts. Just read.

2) incorporate those best parts into the new version so we haven't lost what we most needed.

3) change the problematic issues in the new version (read brentpj1 for sure)

4) so this creates a NEW product with the best of both worlds

5) use beta testers this time before you release the new version to the public. There was no excuse for new updates to not have been tested by verified owners before release to the public. Had this been done, and had Fitbit taken pre-release testing seriously, Fitbit would have been BETTER off (as would we), not WORSE off.

MODERATORS ARE YOU LISTENING?? PLEASE PASS OUR CONCERNS ON...ESPECIALLY BRENTPJ1 AND OTHERS.

Best Answer

At this point, it appears that they won't revert to the earlier version. Doing so is not in Fitbit's nor Google's culture. Doing this right is just not a priority. However, that said, I've recommended an update that had the best of the past with fixing their mess of the present. It's the only way they'll be able to retain good will and retain their current users and possible future.

They don't see this as the right thing to do for their audience, nor even the right thing to do for their marketing/advertising/sales. So, I think that Google will eventually absorb Fitbit into their Google watch line and do what they want. Google purchased a company then ran it into the ground.

If they consider my ideas as I've posted we may all be saved as would the departments above. Let's wait and see what happens within the next 30 days and by then we'll know the writing on the wall because it would have been enough time for several updates/fixes.

So far from reviews I've read as well as posts, no one in the market place currently has an exceptional sleep program...what Fitbit was known for.

If anyone out there has purchased a smartwatch that has the depth, user-friendliness and accuracy as our early Fitbits, I'D LOVE TO KNOW.

Best Answer

After posting the negative review yesterday, my Fitbit 5 froze up and nothing could bring it back to life. Amazing coincidence. I’m moving on to Garmin

Best Answer

Hate the new Sleep update. I was giving it some time, but it just doesn't make me happy. 

Best Answer

Exactly. Successes to clients require product suppliers to listen to feedback & deliver the best product tailored to the best interests or majority of client needs…….Business 101……every great enduring & evolving product was built on this principle. Simply keep the best/most useful desired features, build trust in that relationship, and bring it to market! Not rocket science here!

Best Answer

Right you are. Why change what works? Who’s the client and who keeps the business running? Trust is enduring, unwillingness to listen to feedback is ultimately a path to failure when another developer markets a product that meets clients essential needs. 

Best Answer

@Terrycw. To accept it means Google wins. They won't with me. I will be leaving Fitbit as soon as I determine the closest sleep tracker to what Fitbit USED to be. Google bought Fitbit with the sole purpose of destroying their biggest competition in the tracker trade. One by one, they have taken useful features away. I have a sleep disorder which is why I bought Fitbit in the first place. It is useless to me now. Also, forcing us to use only Google mail is taking away another choice. 

Best Answer

@DedeDisch Fitbit WAS better than this but it is no longer Fitbit. It is only Google now.

Best Answer

@RiekoC  No matter what, the new system is totally useless for my purpose and my sleep doctor agrees.

Best Answer

Agree! I got an Apple Watch (a friend had one she wasn't using). I prefer the display to the FitBit (black and impossible to read for the purpose of telling time), but I'm not wild about the highly rated/recommended sleep app, ShutEye. I'm also using "Sleep" in the Apple Health app. Not useful at all. I'm going to try out some other sleep apps to see if I can find anything similar to and easy to interpret like the FitBit before the updates. If anyone here finds a sleep app similar to FitBit before it was destroyed by the updates, please post it. Chances are it'll be blocked by FitBit or I won't see it (since I get so many FitBit Community notices every day and can't read them all).

Best Answer

They sold out. Google ruins everything they touch.

Best Answer

Does anyone else dislike the new sleep graphics? They are terribly glitchy and don’t seem to give the same level of information since they changed it a couple weeks ago.

Best Answer
Yes, that’s what I’m complaining about.
Best Answer