Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps not showing in bar diagram

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have a fitbit luxe, bought last summer and use the fitbit app (what else) on my samsung galaxy s22 ultra. 

in the last couple of weeks i noticed that the fitbit counts my steps as it should and it also syncs the steps in the app, at least the total steps. but when i want to check the diagram for the day, it has gaps. for example, i made lile 10k steps, and at least 2k of it in the evening  but the diagramm doesnt show any steps in the evening. that happens multiple times a week. 

but today for the first time, the diagramm showed no data at all but only a text saying "this diagramm has no data". 

how? and why? 

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity.

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

I'm experiencing the same issue and getting different counts on the daily step chart vs. the daily step list. Weekly view shows the correct total step count per day and so does the dashboard, but the daily activity graph is missing chunks of steps. See photo - today I had 8787 steps but the graph shows 4304:

Screenshot_20230124_200834.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes

Greetings! I can't say that I use this feature, but I would suggest force stopping your Fitbit App, and then clearing the Fibit app cache from you mobile device, before launching the app, again.

I am also curious if you see the same problem with the data if you look at the web dashboard.

CharlesKn | Mid-Atlantic, USA
60+, strength and cardio
Charge 5, Android, Windows

Best Answer

Thanks for the suggestions. I followed your instructions to force stop the app and delete the cache. Still have mismatched counts but will check again tomorrow. The dashboard shows my steps with the total count from my device on both the step tile and detailed step graph: 

Screenshot_20230125_185200_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230125_184834.jpg

Also wanted to add, the reason this is an issue for me is that I'm trying to export my steps to another app and it was seems to pull the lower count rather than the real step count.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the tipp, i tried it, but it hasnt fixed the problem for the past days. i will see, if in the next couple of days it will be okey. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The screenshots are really helpful @Prdycool 

• In theory, the app is supposed to display the steps that are stored on the Fitbit servers, and it appears that the web dashboard is showing the same steps as the app. The app cache speeds up the process by not downloading data it already has.
  • If it seems the missing steps are just the most recent steps, I would make sure your fitbit has synced recently. You can force a sync from the app dashboard by swiping down.
  • If you go back to previous days, are all the steps displayed? If so, this would point to it being a sync timing issue.
    • I have continuous updates enabled in the app, under my settings, but I would have to check where that was, exactly.
  • I would also ensure you have the latest app version from your app store. If the problem persists, it might be worth uninstalling the app, and then re-installing. Make sure you sync before uninstalling the app to help ensure none of your tracker data gets lost in the shuffle. After re-installing, you'll have to add your tracker back to the app, but it should automatically see your tracker and prompt you to do so.

Sorry I don't have a definitive solution for you.

60+, strength and cardio

Best Answer
0 Votes

I can confirm that it isn't a sync issue- force sync will change the total step number but not the number on the graph. If I go back to previous days, the graph counts are all missing steps. The only thing I can correlate with is that I started used a treadmill for part of the day. My fitbit device tracks these steps and adds them to my total, but they do not appear in the step graph. I just did 4000 steps on my treadmill and they are not on the graph at all. On days where I don't use the treadmill, the step count and graph count match. Is it possible that it's tracking my treadmill time as an activity and not adding those steps for some reason? The time/steps are not showing up in the activities list either.

I'll reinstall the app and update my tracker next.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Good to know, but it shouldn't NOT displays steps from a manually or automatically tracked activity. The activity dashboards are supposed to display all your steps, distance, calories, etc. in the appropriate 15 minute increments. In my case from Sunday, I ran a 5k, and I have steps for the day, including the 5k, at about 9 AM, which you can clearly see.

As a precaution, I would also restart your tracker.

Let us know what happens with the re-installation of the app. Hopefully @YojanaFitbit or @RodrigoMFitbit will comment.

charleskn_0-1674767484815.png

60+, strength and cardio

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, I had firmware update pending so I did that which I believe restarts the tracker - the step count was the same (7000ish). I wanted to see if it wasn't counting because it couldn't detect heartrate over my pants while walking (not on wrist due to standing desk, wrists still while typing) and I accidentally started a walking exercise on the luxe and immediately stopped it. When I went back to the main screen on the luxe, it had downgraded my steps from 7000 to 3000 - matching it to the graph step count and not the real step count. Not sure if it was a delayed response from the firmware update or something to do with starting the exercise. After that I walked on the treadmill and it was counted on the graph. Bummer that I lost 4000 steps today, but at least the two numbers appear to be back in sync. 

Best Answer

@charleskn Thanks so much for your help. Much appreciated. 

@Pinkhair @Prdycool Thanks for reaching out about the step count on the bar diagram. 

I can confirm the same thing with the graph happens to me. I believe there is a delay in the graphs. The information might be taking longer to update on the app, since the online dashboard shows the same step count. I am glad to read the numbers are now back on sync. 

@Pinkhair Please make sure that you have the latest app update. I will also check for updates and see if that helps. I can also confirm that my Fitbit device is pending a firmware update. I will get this installed and monitor the situation on my app. I will let you know. 

Have a nice day!

RodrigoM | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer
0 Votes

After a few more days of playing with the steps on my luxe, I'm pretty sure the issue was wearing it over my pants. When I wear it against my skin, the luxe, step count total, and bar graph counts are all in sync. If I wear it over my pants or have it in my pocket while walking on the treadmill (or anywhere), the steps count on the luxe and step count total reflect all steps but the bar graph only shows steps where I had skin contact. Is it supposed to function this way? 

Best Answer
0 Votes