Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Supported devices list says Galaxy S8 doesn't support Connected GPS - Is this correct?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am looking to purchase either the Versa or Ionic. When reviewing the Fitbit "supported devices" list it says that the Galaxy S6 supports Connect GPS however, I am looking to upgrade my phone to the Galaxy S8 , when looking at the supported devices list there is one less option that is supported which happens to be Connected GPS.

Is this correct, if so, there seems no point in buying the Versa as this doesn't have in built GPS so I wouldn't be able to track runs etc

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for this, been on live chat and they have confirmed it's not supported.

Thought I'd post my finings here just in case anyone else has the same questions.

Looking back at other posts it says 

"currently S8 Active is not listed in our Supported devices. However, some Android devices may meet all the requirements by the system and will sync even when they are not listed. This sync may not always be successful or some features might not be available."

Looks a bit hit or miss at the moment as to whether S8 will work so don't think I'll take the risk in getting the Versa. Looks like I'll need to pay the higher price for the Ionic which has the built in GPS.

Thanks for your help.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

@Mrs.A Hi and Welcome - Not sure if it is the same thing or what you are looking for but I have a Galaxy S8 and have tracked a bike ride via my mobile phones GPS with a charge 2 a new feature called Mobile run allows mapping and all sorts but remember to take phone with you and to have mobile data switched on there is more information here should you wish to take a look

https://blog.fitbit.com/introducing-mobilerun-and-enhanced-food-logging-for-the-fitbit-app/

you need to have both running this may help you with your decisions

https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/2099/?q=Mobile+Run&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1

and finally

https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1874

Hope these help and I am sure another community member that regularly uses these function can clarify a little more

Sorry I could not give a definitive answer to your enquiry but hope I have give enough information for a decision

Kind Regards

Wayne

Charge 2, 3 - Windows 8.1 - Samsung S6, S8, S9 - Each day we learn something new is a day not wasted
Best Answer

Thanks for your reply. I wonder if Fitbit haven't updated there screens with the latest connectivity updates then. I can see from old posts in 2017 there were problems with GPS snd the S8.

Would be good to hear from Fitbit just for clarification, no point in spending money if it's not going to work.

Thanks again

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Mrs.A Your quite welcome and fully understand as it is a lot of money to fork out - you may get a quicker validation if you contact support I have provided the link below for ease of finding

customer support phone number will appear once the office is open (usually 0800 - 1900 Mon-Fri and 1000 - 1700 weekends in the UK)

https://help.fitbit.com/?l=en_US&cu=1&fs=ContactUs

This is for the UK but should you need to change country scroll to the bottom and look for United Kingdom with a down arrow next to it and click on the arrow now you can select your relevant country and the page will refresh

Kind Regards

Wayne

Charge 2, 3 - Windows 8.1 - Samsung S6, S8, S9 - Each day we learn something new is a day not wasted
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for this, been on live chat and they have confirmed it's not supported.

Thought I'd post my finings here just in case anyone else has the same questions.

Looking back at other posts it says 

"currently S8 Active is not listed in our Supported devices. However, some Android devices may meet all the requirements by the system and will sync even when they are not listed. This sync may not always be successful or some features might not be available."

Looks a bit hit or miss at the moment as to whether S8 will work so don't think I'll take the risk in getting the Versa. Looks like I'll need to pay the higher price for the Ionic which has the built in GPS.

Thanks for your help.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Mrs.A Thanks for adding your findings yes it will help

I think they need to sort this soon as the S9 will soon be here if not already lol

All The Best

Wayne

Best Answer

Hi, @Mrs.A, although it seems you cannot use "Connected GPS" with the Samsung Galaxy S8, you can use "Mobile Run" as described by @ashwolve.

The only difference between Mobile Run and Connected GPS is that with Connected GPS you can start your activity directly from the Fitbit, whereas with Mobile Run you must start the tracking from the Fitbit app on your phone.  Both methods require you to carry your phone and both methods use your phone's GPS.  At the end of your activity, once you sync, your steps will be taken from the Fitbit, and your distance and pace from the app.

Please see the screen shot below to confirm that you can use Mobile Run with the S8:

IMG_0775.PNG

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

just to add to what @Julia_G posted on the S8 once set up if you click on track exercise on the top right you will see a stopwatch symbol with a + to the left of it if you click that you should get to the tracking page the pictures are as sequenced below if that also helps

Screenshot_20180722-104835_Fitbit.jpgScreenshot_20180722-104921_Fitbit.jpg

as you can see next to you to choose between run, walk and hike the picture provided is zoomed out but on the normal picture will show your current location

Kind Regards

Wayne

Best Answer
0 Votes