Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text Msgs only show Sender's name (RESOLVED)

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 9/12/19

Hey all!

We're still investigating and working on a fix for this text notification issue on Android. 

In addition to not receiving the correct text notification, we're now aware this is also affecting call notifications. Some of you may only see a previous caller's name and not the person actually calling you at the time you're receiving the notification. 

When we have more information for a fix, we'll announce it here in this thread. Please stay tuned for updates! 

Fitbit Update: 7/30/19

Hi everyone.

We're aware of these issues with receiving only the sender's name from your text messages. This appears to have started with the Fitbit for Android app version 3.0. If you're experiencing this yourself with your Fitbit device, please know we're working on a fix. 

While our team investigates this further, we just ask for your patience. Once I have information for a fix, I'll make an announcement here on this thread. 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
795 REPLIES 795

Well just to be a little more clear if you do the factory reset you'll only lose what's on the tracker that you haven't currently synced with the Fitbit app. If you're all synced up, you would only temporarily lose what you see for the current day on the tracker until you resync. All data is stored on Fitbit's servers so factory resetting clears everything from the tracker, but syncing directly before and after gets you right back to where you left off.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have tried everything - resetting - downloading the 2.95 app and nothing
has worked - good news - I have not lost any of my history
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for posting instructions. Still not working for Android 10 and app 3.7 though.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you do these suggestions,  you can get your fit bit working properly:

First do a reset of your Fitbit ( the Fitbit symbol on screen 15-20 seconds)

Now have your user name and password available. 

Then go to your phone and delete the Fitbit app, then do a reinstall.

And when you get into the app again , tap your picture, the you will see devices ,

Tap your device and scroll down to notifications and activate the ones you want.

I use an Ionic on my Samsung S8 and all the notifications work properly after this .

Best Answer
0 Votes

We're all super happy for you. None of that works for us. You are still not dumb so I'm sure you can read that we've tried this already.

Best Answer

Sorry I was just trying to help so many others who are having problems. 

Good luck 

Best Answer

LFH - 2.95 did not fix it for me but 2.90 did. Everything works just fine - calls and texts.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Great 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ya, Richard I can read, my suggested post was only to help others when I found my fix...... and I have gotten quite a few emails and posts from people I have helped with those suggestions. 

But sarcastic people like you,  make it 

Like I bothered you. 

Fine, I really don't care fix it or not. 

Best Answer

Looks like someone incorrectly marked something as a "best answer" because they can't fix it. Time to open a new topic?

Best Answer
I had the same thought. Seems suspicious when the first notice of a post is
to say it was voted a "best answer" presumably as it was posted. I think
it's an admission that they have zero clue how to fix it and really wish
we'd stop talking about it.

It used to be a nice feature. I can't imagine the nightmare of programming
to interface with so many devices with so many versions.
Best Answer

My phone is fully up to date.

The Fitbit app is fully up to date.

My Charge 2 firmware is full up to date.

I went so far as to clear cache and data before removing the Fitbit app, rebooting my phone, reinstalling the Fitbit app, and then restarting my Charge 2 before syncing.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I did disable and then re-enable all of my notifications.

Message and calendar notifications are still not working, at all.

This is my third Fitbit. I've loved my whole Fitbit experience up until now. This has been going on for months. I was considering upgrading to a newer tracker but this issue seems to exist on newer trackers as well, and Fitbit clearly has no intention of fixing this particular issue, or at the very least, isn't taking it seriously.

I'll be buying a new tracker next month, and if this isn't resolved by then, it'll probably be a Garmin.

Best Answer

I love getting updated that there's no update.

Honestly, this is a fitness tracking device and it still does that well enough. The problem is that I paid extra for a device that would give me a couple of notifications from my phone. I could have paid less just to have a fitness tracking device, but I paid more because it could do more. It said that it could do more than just fitness tracking right on the package.

And it did that well enough for a good while but now that functionality has been taken away, well outside of any return window and well outside of the warranty period. We have no recourse (in the U.S.).

What I'd like from Fitbit at this point in time is an answer to the only question I've had for the past month or so...

What incentive do I have to pay for your trackers anymore when your competitors do the same things just as well and their premium, advertised features don't remain broken indefinitely?

Sorry if I come off as frustrated. I have been satisfied with your products and services up until this issue. Support has been entirely non-existent with regards to this problem. A major feature is broken, you clearly know about it and there have been many updates of the Fitbit app since the problem began and none of them have resolved or even addressed it.

Best Answer
Where did you find 2.90?
Best Answer
0 Votes

@LFH

There's a website called A. p. k. Mirror (except without the spaces or dots) that is trusted and keeps copies of old versions of apps. They also have a tutorial on how to install it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, this is NOT answered by any reasonable definition. An actual answer would result in a SOLUTION to the issue.

Fitbit has NOT provided a solution.

Retrospectively dropping support for many many devices may be a SOLUTION for Fitbit I guess.

I expect you will close this thread in a little while like you did the 'Fitbit doesn't doesn't synch with Android 9' thread.

Very dissatisfied and disappointed with Fitbit.

My Blaze is now just a watch.

Best Answer

Hello pizzaboy, I have been trying to help those frustrated people with their Fitbit devices and when I started having trouble with the notifications 

I found in the app store an app

Called Sync fix for Fitbit,  I bought and installed that app. 

I started with not being able to delete a phone call that was a week old on my Ionic.  I then did a reset on my Ionic and made sure that call was deleted on my s8. Then I could delete it on.my Ionic. Ok then notifications on texts were not working 

Then I  found a post from a Fitbit tech guy who said for Android you have to 

Delete the Fitbit app,  then reinstall 

Did that and now my calls and texts were not got to my Ionic. Another week goes by and no fix.

Now what. 

My fix was to follow each step of this

Fitbit device needs a reset. 

A delete of the app from phone. 

And reinstall the app.

After the reinstall comes the reactivate of notifications. My phone chose the wrong texting app, and calls was not active. And now my Ionic and my s8 working well. Must do that reactivate of apps .

Best Answer

Yeah, I don't want to revert to a previous version. I've reset and deleted plenty of times. This is not a solved problem. @RicardoFitbit  can you please change this thread back to open until the tech team has a real solution that doesn't include going to a third party site?

If other tracker brands can provide notifications functioning properly at a fraction of the cost, it's more than possible for this company to fix this.

In the meantime, this has been my first and likely last time owning a product from Fitbit. 

Best Answer

The reset is  good and 

The delete is also important. 

But then the final step of

(Reactivate your notifications is

A must do after you delete the app)

So some people were still having trouble, after that. So I added the 

"Sync fix for Fitbit app " 

I am not a tech expert,  but a Fitbit user just trying to help others fix those problems. Good luck 

Best Answer

As you will see, though, most of us have been having these issues since July, or even earlier. The VERY FIRST comment on this entire thread (33 pages ago) specifically states that they did the same process you are describing - rebooting the fitbit, deleting and reinstalling the app (which automatically requires you re-set up your notifications,) and then some.

We have all (maybe except for a few newcomers) already tried this. Multiple times. Multiple ways. I am thrilled it worked for you,but for those of us dealing with this issue for 3 months, and getting no support or solution from Fitbit, we are frustrated. 

Now to have a fitbit rep come in and say "we're aware, we're working on it" (again!) and then SUDDENLY that becomes the "best answer," and the issue is "solved" is complete garbage. Much like my Fitbit is now complete garbage. 

Waiting patiently for black friday to get my new Samsung Galaxy smartwatch. 

Fitbit, you're ridiculous. If in 3 months you can't come up with a reasonable patch, you need an entirely new programming/debugging dept. Yikes. Not at all surprising to see your stock has been in the gutter, and can't make any gains. You clearly do not care about supporting your customers or backing up your software claims. If games on the app store developed by college kids can run on ALL android phones, and you can't get your software to work on HALF of those phones, something is seriously wrong. 

Best Answer