Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracker won't sync under Android 11

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have a Pixel 2XL and I upgrade to Android 11 last Sunday 9/13...  since then my tracker (charge 2) will not sync reliably.  If I plug the tracker into the charger and leave it with my phone for a few hours, it might sync during that time, otherwise I cannot get it to sync no matter what I do. 

In addition, when I go running, it will sometimes track GPS while the app is open, but if I lock my screen, GPS link stops until I unlock my phone and reopen the app.  Obviously this isn't something I want to do while running, I want my phone locked and put away.  All permissions are enabled for the FitBit app and location is enabled all the time and no battery saver settings are enabled.

It seems to me that both problems are related to Android 11.  Restarting Bluetooth, restarting my phone, removing the tracker from bluetooth device list, and even deleting the App and reinstalling it multiple times have not helped.  I have also restarted my tracker multiple times as well.  Nothing helps.

Edit:  I was able to correct the problem by installing the FitBit app from the Windows Store onto a Windows 10 PC and syncing there.  Afterwards, it now syncs fine on my phone and GPS is also working correctly.  You don't need to delete the tracker from your phone, you just need to get a sync from a PC/Mac and that seems to resolve things.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hey folks.. I'll keep updating but it seems like this works.. my fitbit is getting everything now.. so read my post above. You will need to download the fitbit app on either a Mac or PC (I used a Mac.. I just mean to say don't use a mobile os.. haven't tested on the PC version but I imagine it will work)

I logged into my fitbit account through the web. Deleted my charge 2 from my account. Uninstalled the app on my phone. Installed the program on my MacBook. Added the charge 2 back through os x. I had to keep trying and restarted the device. After I finally got it synced to the MacBook.. I turned off my MacBook and then installed the Android app. It was actually already connected and I didn't have to re-pair it on the phone. Required a reboot of the phone and device and everything is working fine it seems. If it doesn't sync all your data immediately or saying it can't sync.. just give it some time. Ignore it for a while.. it should work. 

Good luck 👍

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
26 REPLIES 26

Having this issue as well with charge 2 on pixel 2 with Android 11. I found a work around but it still does not sync properly.

Download the app on a MacBook (assuming you have one) and then sync it over there. Unfortunately you will not get all your data. I can finally sync to my phone but heart or sleep data doesn't show at all. Only steps. Periodically I'll get some correct battery info but most of the time it says fully charged. 

FYI, when I synced my data with the MacBook the first time I got everything.. having issues with it again. 

Best Answer

Same issue with Pixel 3, Android 11, Charge 4.

Best Answer

Yes, am getting similar issues with my Pixel 2XL after upgrading to Android 11 this morning. Some things sync, others don't.

Best Answer

Hey folks.. I'll keep updating but it seems like this works.. my fitbit is getting everything now.. so read my post above. You will need to download the fitbit app on either a Mac or PC (I used a Mac.. I just mean to say don't use a mobile os.. haven't tested on the PC version but I imagine it will work)

I logged into my fitbit account through the web. Deleted my charge 2 from my account. Uninstalled the app on my phone. Installed the program on my MacBook. Added the charge 2 back through os x. I had to keep trying and restarted the device. After I finally got it synced to the MacBook.. I turned off my MacBook and then installed the Android app. It was actually already connected and I didn't have to re-pair it on the phone. Required a reboot of the phone and device and everything is working fine it seems. If it doesn't sync all your data immediately or saying it can't sync.. just give it some time. Ignore it for a while.. it should work. 

Good luck 👍

Best Answer

I had this same issue. Compounding the problem is that I deleted my Flex 2 from the Andoid Fitbit app and tried to readd it, but it won't complete adding the device. After it finds my Flex 2, it goes back to the settings screen, skipping the "Tap to pair" step. I was able to download the Windows Store app and sync it that way, but I hope that they fix this soon. It's Fitbit's recommendation that you use the most recent OS version for Android and iPhone, but it's apparent that it was not rigorously tested before the Android 11 release.

Best of luck out there! I'll let you know if/when it's fixed.

Best Answer

I was finally able to try this -- using the windows 10 app -- and I did get most of my data synced, though I lost my data from last Saturday, 9/19.  We'll see whether my phone will start working again tomorrow, but if I just have to manually sync from a laptop every few days it isn't the end of the world.  And I'm not sure if this will affect the GPS problem either.

Thanks for the tip, appreciate it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a Fitbit Sense since yesterday and my Pixel updated to Android 11 also Yesterday.

I can sync it but my heart rate information and history doesn't update anymore in the dashboard.  It updates on my iPad or PC but not on my Pixel 4 so I guess it's because of the Android 11 update.  I spend my whole morning chatting with several Fitbit support agents but they don't have a clue.  They escalated my support case and will contact me by email.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I don't know if this will help you but my Alta had the same problems, wouldn't sync with my pixel 3 after I updated to android 11 and like you it removed my tracker from Bluetooth list, after removing the tracker from the Fitbit app I couldn't re-add it so after many hours of trying I dug out my old phone (pixel 1 without android update) and added it to the app without any problems, I then signed back into app on my pixel 3 and hay presto it's all back working and syncing everything

Best Answer

I have a Pixel 3XL and I updated to Android 11 and a Charge 3 and I experienced the same problem. I looked at my paired bluetooth devices list and I couldn't find it, so I did the following

1. Cleared the User Data from the Charge 3 and Rebooted the Tracker

2. Removed the tracker from my Fitbit account

3. Deleted and reinstalled the app.

4. Added the tracker again

5. Once the tracker was added, made sure the permissions for the app were correct (Location is the only one I allow for the app)

6. Made sure the tracker was back on the Paired Bluetooth list

The sync and the connected GPS started working again correctly. Hope this works! Best of luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Awesome tip. After trying every method listed on this page and others, this method worked for me as well!

Best Answer

This is happening to me too, and I can't sync via Mac since Versa 2 can't be synced through the MacOS client... Haven't found any solution that works

Best Answer

Darn, wish this would work for me. I don't have a PC available, and the macOS app has a broken relationship with Bluetooth. It tells me to turn Bluetooth on, even though System Preferences says it is on, and indeed being used by my keyboard to type this message.

Guess I'll need to wait for a fix for the app.

Best Answer

I have this same issue.  Updated to Android 11 and this started happening, but it took many days before it started happening.  Time is always way off.  Every now and then I can get it to sync.  Tried the Windows 10 app, but that is not working.

I'll be honest, this isn't the first time I've had a Versa 1 die on me, and these are the same exact symptoms.  Bluetooth starts to randomly not connect, for awhile a combo of rebooting phone/versa gets it to pair.  Then that starts to only randomly work.  You can tell it hasn't paired in a long time as the time is way off(apparently it gets its time from the sync).  Then it stops pairing all together.  Had this happen to my first Versa 1 during warranty and was replaced.  Same thing happened to be replacement Versa right before the Versa 2 came out, so ended up replacing it with another Versa 1.  Here I am just out of warranty and it's happened to my third Versa.  I really hope the Versa 2 and 3 use a better bluetooth as the one in the Versa 1 is junk.

Edit: Forgot to mention, every time this has happened battery drain increases.  After a full charge in the morning, my battery would be in the mid 80% range when going to bed.  Now it's in the 60% range.

Best Answer

Alta HR user here. I did plenty of troubleshooting. Finally occurred to me it might be an phone OS build issue. 

I'm also an Android 11 user, but I was in the Android 11 beta throughout the middle portion of the year with my phone on Android 11 with no issues. So it was seemingly related to a change from the official launch/build released on Sept 8. 

Since my last sync was on Sept 7, and I upgraded my Pixel 3 XL on Sept 8 (the day it was released), I'm going to connect those two dots and say it is an issue with BT and Android 11. 

I even tried to sync my tracker with my older phone, Pixel 2 XL (also on Android 11), and met the same fate. No/incomplete syncing. 

My workaround is to get out that old mini dongle that connects over USB and use with the Fitbit Windows app on my computer. Once I did that, I completed a proper sync right away. Step count from every missing day showed up, but missing sleep data did not sync and is likely lost. The sync only produced about 7 days of sleep data, which I believe is expected. 

Best Answer

Also having the issue for a fitbit hr and charge 2 across 2 phones that both updated to android 11.

Tried removing the device and re-adding it. That fails. I don't have a compatible computer I can sync on.

Is Fitbit working on a fix for this issue?

Best Answer

I just noticed the issue tonight with my charge 2 on pixel 3XL that I upgraded to android 11 last week sometime. This is why I waited because I figured there would be bugs but this is the first one I've had. I synced it with ipad app no problems. I haven't tried any of the other suggestions yet but I will or hopefully fitbit will release an app update. I also use a Samsung Galaxy watch and no BT issues with it or other BT devices. 

Best Answer

have managed to sync with old iPhone that I am selling soon but it still won't connect by bluetooth to my pixel 3 or HP laptop - so frustrating but thank you to everyone for their suggestions 

Best Answer

The Android 11 update for some reason reset the Location permissions on the Fitbit app. You need to make sure that Location permission is "always allow" instead of "only when in use" when you're using GPS.

Best Answer

I have an Alta HR and a Pixel 2 and the device hasn't synced since the Android 11 update. 

Fitbit customer service has told me they are aware of an issue "for some users" but they aren't planning a fix and offered me a discount (like I'm going to buy a NEW device that won't work!? What the hell?)

Best Answer