Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to update Inspire HR with Moto G5

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've finished talking to one of the guys on the Fitbit helpline for the second time in a week. Both were friendly and helpful but neither have been able to resolve my issue where my Inspire HR no longer connects to the app on my Android phone, it hasn't been able to connect long enough to update since the latest Fitbit software update a couple of weeks ago. The connection has always been flaky, usually taking anywhere between 2 and 4 hours to update, but now it doesn't update at all. I've left the Bluetooth connection on for days now and they still won't talk, it's like dealing with a pair of 14 year old lovers. I've tried all the suggestions in the help forum and also the steps the guys on the call have suggested, but it still won't connect. The last guy I spoke to said that my phone (Moto G5) isn't compatible with the Fitbit app, I pointed out that they have been talking to each other for a year, albeit begrudgingly (I've had the Inspire HR for 13 months now) and the issue I'm having only began with the last Fitbit software update. There is no option to uninstall software update either so it looks like I'm stuck with it. The guy I spoke to suggested that maybe the last Android update was the issue, but seeing as that was months ago and the Fitbit update was only a couple of weeks ago, I think it's safe to say what has caused the problem. He also suggested trying to connect the Inspire HR to another phone, the implication being that I should buy a new phone to resolve the issue. I could do that, I suppose, or maybe, just maybe, Fitbit could ensure that their updates are backwards compatible? Needless to say, I'm really not impressed.

I've tried uninstalling the app, switching Bluetooth on and off, rebooting both the Fitbit and the phone countless times, plus a few other tricks mentioned online and from the help guys, but they're not talking anymore. I paid something like £80 for my Inspire HR and as it's more that 12 months old I very much doubt I'll be able to get a refund, the guy on the phone told me as much. Even though, as far as I am concerned, this was cause by the most recent Fitbit software update. I am not saying that they deliberately caused an issue (*cough* Apple) but is there going to be any attempt to resolve things? Or am I really expected to but a new phone (and/or Fitbit)? So although it was good when it worked, it's now pointless and I no longer get my weekly reports to see what I've achieved, which, is surely the point of these devices, isn't it? I appreciate that my phone is 3 years old and isn't the latest all singing, all dancing kid on the block, but it's a far from primitive device. Is is really that old that it's considered obsolete by Fitbit? The phones' Bluetooth still connects with my car and TV happily enough just not my Fitbit anymore. Unless anyone has an idea that I have not yet tried I'll likely have to buy a new fitness watch. 

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @SunriseRun457, I noticed that you quoted your price paid in £. If that is correct and you purchased your fitbit in the UK your warranty is for 2 years. If you have your receipt take it back to the shop. Or if you got it directly from fitbit get on to them again.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

here is something a moderator posted about phones being compatible:

"Please note that your phone or tablet is not on our list of compatible devices. We confirmed that the devices on this list are fully compatible with all features of Fitbit devices and the Fitbit app. While a phone or tablet may not be verified as fully compatible, the Fitbit app may still work with your device. 

We routinely test new devices to ensure full compatibility with Fitbit devices and the Fitbit app, and are constantly working to confirm compatibility with new phone models. Be sure to verify that your phone or tablet meets the minimum operating system requirements.

If your phone supports Bluetooth 4.0, we provide assistance and troubleshooting steps. Because your phone or tablet is not fully compatible with Fitbit devices, we can't guarantee syncing and other Fitbit features. "

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

Hi @SunriseRun457, I noticed that you quoted your price paid in £. If that is correct and you purchased your fitbit in the UK your warranty is for 2 years. If you have your receipt take it back to the shop. Or if you got it directly from fitbit get on to them again.

Best Answer

Thank you for the detailed reply, Oddyssey13. However, my phone did previously connect with my Inspire HR, the connection was slow and temperamental but it worked if you were patient. What has annoyed is that since the last Fitbit software update a few weeks ago - which is the only variable that has changed - they now refuse to talk to one another. And although the guys I have spoke to were helpful and went through numerous different things to try to resolve things, they have not been able to resolve my issue. As such my Inspire HR is nothing more than a pedometer. It won't even sync to correct the time so I can't even use it as a watch! 

I appreciate that my phone isn't the latest model, but it's capable of streaming 4K video to my TV via Bluetooth, which is surely a more demanding task that streaming some numbers from my Fitbit, so why is it now incapable of doing so since the last Fitbit update? 

Is there a way of uninstalling the last software update? Or at least being able to synch my Fitbit to my PC via the USB connection (I've tried both but cannot seem to do it, are either way possible?)?.

I'm sorry but asking user to buy some new hardware to resolve an issue that was caused by one of Fitbit's updates is a PR disaster that will soon come and bite Fitbit in the bum. Why should we have to buy something new when we didn't cause the issue?

Fitbits seem to be more common among the more mature members of the population (I don't seem many under 40's wearing them), and as a sweeping generalisation, older people tend to be less tech savvy. And as I'm sure I'm not alone in having this issue, I can't see many people seriously following that advice (i.e. buy a new phone). No doubt a few will, but I suspect many more will simply give up on Fitbit, which is what I'll be doing if this issue cannot be resolved. 

Best Answer

Thanks Lilbiddy, I bought my Inspire HR through Amazon UK so I'll contact them to see where I stand in regard to getting a refund. It'll be a shame to lose it as it was great when it worked but being told (albeit indirectly) to buy a new phone doesn't do anything to endear Fitbit's business practices to me. 

Best Answer

@SunriseRun457  you can't go backwards on firmware, but you might be able to use your computer. Check the link I sent about phone requirements and see if your computer has the basics. Older computers may need a dongle to help bridge the data from your Fitbit to the Fitbit servers. It might be your solution.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

Thanks again Oddyssey13. My PC doesn't have Bluetooth so that's a no go, my works laptop does have Bluetooth but I don't have admin rights to download the Fitbit app onto it! I'm going to look into getting a USB dongle for my PC, I can't find any in the UK other than from eBay so I might take a chance on one of those. Failing that, I guess eBay is where my Inspire will be going! 

Best Answer