Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When battery dies, device displays time incorrectly

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

When my fitbit batteries dies, I charge it up and wear it. 

If I don't sync it straight away after charging it, all the information it records is at the wrong time (obviously). 

But when I sync it after a couple of hours, it holds the incorrect timestamps (and all the associated information recorded at the incorrect timestamps) and does not correct the time.

An example of this is where the device died, I charged it up in the morning, go for a run, then come back and sync it. The app will tell me that I went for a run at 1am.

Please fix.

Thanks.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The app doesnt know when you turned the tracker back on.

The tracker records your activity at the time the tracker says that it was recirded.

The tracker does not know that it's time is off.

During a sync, the trackers time gets set to the phones time. There is no check to see what the time on the tracker was.

If the tracker I'd turned on and the time is wrong, the tracker records everything as if the time is correct, then sends these times to Fitbit after the next sync.

If you want the runs recorded at the proper time then you need to make sure that the clock is set correctly before you take off.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Hello @JohnDolan let's read your post again.

Your battery dies, this means that your clock is off, but you say that you do not want to sync. Therefore your clock is off. You go for a run, knowing that the clock is off. You sync the tracker, your run was recorded at the wrong time because your clock is off. However the sync has now corrected your watch's time.

The solution after a dead battery is to sync while the tracker is still on the charger or at the time of removal.

This will correct your time and your run will be recorded at the correct time.

The sync will correct the current incorrect time, a sync will not be able to correct any wrong times in the past.

You are seeing exactly what you should be seeing, there is only one fix and the fix is to sync as or before the tracker is put back on the arm.

BTW lithium batteries do not like it when the Charge goes below 30%, letting the battery die will cause internal damage to the battery.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Rich,

Sorry, but I have to disagree with your assessment of the problem and that ' there is only one fix' for this problem (perhaps I did not explain the problem in enough detail).

So, when the device dies, the clock stops, makes sense. However, when the device charges up again, without syncing, the clock starts are some time, lets say 00:00 (I'm assuming). 

When I then sync the device (after the run), the device knows how long it has not been synced for (let's say 2 hours, so it's now 02:00 on the device). So, once synced, it pulls the current, correct time from my phone. 

Surely the watch/app is able to shift everything forward by 2 hours so that all the values are at the correct timestamps? This seems like the logical thing to do.

Should the app work like this, or is it designed to work in some other way?

Also, thank you for your advice on the battery, I do generally keep it topped up above 30% but occasionally forget.

Thanks,

John

Best Answer
0 Votes

The app doesnt know when you turned the tracker back on.

The tracker records your activity at the time the tracker says that it was recirded.

The tracker does not know that it's time is off.

During a sync, the trackers time gets set to the phones time. There is no check to see what the time on the tracker was.

If the tracker I'd turned on and the time is wrong, the tracker records everything as if the time is correct, then sends these times to Fitbit after the next sync.

If you want the runs recorded at the proper time then you need to make sure that the clock is set correctly before you take off.

Best Answer
0 Votes