Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria 2 display and sync weight different

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Why does my Aria 2 display my weight and body fat numbers different than what gets synced to the App?  It's not a rounding error.  For instance the Aria 2 display might say 166.6 pounds and 17.4% body fat, but after syncing to my iPhone the Fitbit app will display 165.4 pounds and 17% body fat.  I was told some months ago that this is a known issue.  If I had known this when I was looking for a scale I wouldn't have bought the Aria 2.  What is the status of fixing this?

Best Answer
30 REPLIES 30

Hi @troutteaser, I don't know what the status is for that, but I've noticed it happening on my scale too.  What usually helps me is to log out and then back in on the app.  Have you tried that?

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer

@troutteaser Welcome to our Fitbit Community! I'm sorry to hear that your Fitbit app doesn't show the same numbers as your Aria 2 itself.

Our team is actively working on a fix to this issue. We don't have a time-frame when it will be released. However, please make sure that your phone has the most recent Fitbit app version installed.

I really appreciate your patience and time with this.

Thank you for your help @DramaQueenDiva!

I'll be around if you have any questions! 😀

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

For me it is not the weight which is synced different, it is the body fat. On my Aria 2 it shows 20.8% but it synced 20.7% with my Fitbit Account. 

Weird

Weight is synced correctly.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MrPuma Thank you for joining us in this thread Regarding the discrepancy between your Aria 2 and the app, please follow the workaround that I shared in my previous post. Make sure that your Fitbit app is up to date. If the app is up to date, please log out of the app, restart your phone, open the app and log in.

Finally, weigh yourself 5 times in a row and see if your scale and your app show the same numbers.

Keep me posted on the outcome! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JuanJoFitbit I raised essentially this same issue in a couple of different places and have received no acknowledgment that it is a known problem, unlike what you said earlier in this thread.  I have observed over the course of experiments five days in a row that 87% of the time the synced (recorded) weight is precisely 0.1 lbs less than the displayed weight, while the other 13% of the time it is the same.  I've been working with the support group and not received terribly satisfying responses.  Their latest request is that I ship it back for a replacement, without anyone acknowledging that it is a known problem or with any explanation for what might be causing it.  I just now stumbled on this particular thread and it is the first time I've seen anyone say they have a similar problem, although it doesn't sound exactly the same since the discrepancy between displayed and recorded weights, when it happens, in my case is exactly 0.1 lbs rather than the range of differences the others have reported.  Can someone back at Fitbit undertake a simple experiment:  weigh yourself, note the displayed weight, and then do that again, for, say, 15 weighings in a row. (I would be very surprised if they were all the same; I'd expect a variation of 0.1 to 0.3 lbs. But that's not the issue.) Wait for the last weight to be uploaded.  Go to the app or web and compare the recorded weights with the ones you noted.  What do you find — are they all the same or do some (how many?) differ?

Best Answer

At least Fitbit support offered to replace your scale.  I made that suggestion to them months ago and they refused. It seems pretty obvious that there is a glitch somewhere that is causing a translation discrepancy between the Aria 2 display and the app.  Really annoying.  By the way, I did get a response from the Fitbit Community moderator as follows:

Thank you for joining us in this thread Regarding the discrepancy between your Aria 2 and the app, please follow the workaround that I shared in my previous post. Make sure that your Fitbit app is up to date. If the app is up to date, please log out of the app, restart your phone, open the app and log in.

Finally, weigh yourself 5 times in a row and see if your scale and your app show the same numbers.

Keep me posted on the outcome! 

I haven't had a chance to test this.  Would like to know if anyone else has tried this suggestion and if it worked.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@troutteaser yes I'd seen that response.  The support team had me reboot the scale to no effect. My phone has been restarted a couple of times (not that I can see what difference that would make, since the problem shows up at the website too) and I do have the latest version of the app (although again the problem shows up on the web too, so the app doesn't matter.)  My hunch is that the scale measures weight in some internal units (such as the voltage put out by the weight transducer).  That number is transmitted to the Fitbit database.  It is converted to pounds, separately, in both the scale and in "the cloud" and different algorithms are used; perhaps one truncates and the other rounds, but I haven't taken the time to experiment since another factor would be the precision (not the accuracy) of the internal measurement.  As I told the support team, I don't want to go through the effort of shipping it to them and waiting for a replacement unless they can convince me the problem is likely caused by a manufacturing flaw or subsequent failure and off-hand I can't really think of a hardware problem that would cause that kind of error;  I've asked if there is some way to completely restore the software on the scale (without sending it in) and not received any response one way or another, not that I can think of any software corruption that would cause that specific kind of problem (without doing much greater "damage.")  I guess we still don't know if everyone has the problem — I hadn't particularly had reason to compare the displayed number with the recorded number until I got the Aria 2: the Aria 1 was so much less precise I never bothered to pay much attention to the displayed value since I was always making several measurements and taking an average.

Best Answer

You were right.  I recorded my Aria 2 readout weight versus the app readout over several weeks and I consistently had a 0.1 pound difference.  Silly that Fitbit folks couldn't catch that.  I think you mentioned they were going to send you a replacement Aria 2.  Did that happen, or did you just keep your existing?  Curious if the issue persisted with the new Aria 2.  Thanks.

Best Answer
I didn’t bother to take them up on the offer of a replacement for two
reasons. First, I would have had to send mine in before they sent the
replacement and, second, no-one from Fitbit, either one of the moderators
or the support staff, have said whether the Aria 2’s they have access to
exhibit this behavior or not. In short, they haven’t said if this is to be
expected or is truly a design problem, minor, I admit, though it be.
--
Sent from Gmail Mobile
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll give it a try.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I got an Aria 2 and have been noticing the weight in pounds to be off by 0.1 as well between what is shown on the Aria 2 and what is showing in app after syncing.

Best Answer

I have the same issue.  It appears that I paid $129 for a scale that doesn't sync correctly.  Thankfully, I can take it back.  I had an Aria 1 that mysteriously went into ERR mode and I went ahead and bought Aria 2 and now this!  Seriously - it's a code fix and shouldn't be that difficult.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LizziGleason wrote:

I have the same issue.  It appears that I paid $129 for a scale that doesn't sync correctly.  Thankfully, I can take it back.  I had an Aria 1 that mysteriously went into ERR mode and I went ahead and bought Aria 2 and now this!  Seriously - it's a code fix and shouldn't be that difficult.  

Liz — is your problem exactly the same, or something different?  In other words, is the problem that the weight displayed in the app or on the web site most of the time precisely 0.1 pounds less than the weight displayed on the scale (with the remainder of the times it being the same) or something else?  For the record, I have yet to see anyone from Fitbit say that they have compared the weight as displayed on the scale with the weight as shown in the app or on the web page, despite the fact that several of us hear have reported this discrepancy.  I think all those who have reported it have also said the difference is 0.1 pounds.  Dunno what happens with those who use metric weights or British (stone) weights.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes - that is exactly right.  Here's the interesting thing - when I log on to my pc and look at the dashboard, hover over the weight area - it reads the correct weight but when I click on the weight tile, it shows me the incorrect weight.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Since I was outside of the return window, I've just learned to live with it.  I actually have more of an issue with the automatic identification feature, which I find to be worthless for me and my son who are close to the same weight.  I don't understand, why Fitbit just couldn't put a simple button on the Aria 2 to allow for guest measurements. Eventually, I plan to buy a different scale that can do all that I need it to do, rather than what Fitbit needs!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@troutteaser wrote:

Since I was outside of the return window, I've just learned to live with it.  I actually have more of an issue with the automatic identification feature, which I find to be worthless for me and my son who are close to the same weight.  I don't understand, why Fitbit just couldn't put a simple button on the Aria 2 to allow for guest measurements. Eventually, I plan to buy a different scale that can do all that I need it to do, rather than what Fitbit needs!

On mine, when it can't decide which of the two of us just stepped on the scale, it will put up a question mark, show my icon, with a check mark on the right side and an x on the left (if I'm remembering correctly.)  If it's correct that it's me, I'm supposed to step on the right side, if not, on the left.  If the weight is too far off one of the existing weights (I haven't been able to get Fitbit to tell me how far is too far) it'll say "guest" and I'll have to go the Aria 2 device screen to re-assign the weight to the right person.  Does yours behave differently?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Because my son, who is not registered, and my weight are so close the Aria 2 automatically assumes it’s me. It doesn’t give him a guest option. So I end up having his weights mixed in with mine, which I really don’t like.   I would just love to have the ability to choose “guest” right from the start to avoid all of the confusion. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
OK, I understand.  If he were registered I am sure each time either of
you weighed yourself it would present you the ? option and ask you to
choose which of the two possibilities it was.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Wow this was April of last year and it’s still doing it? I just bought this scale brand new. I weigh one thing on the scale and it uploads a completely different number to the app? Lol awesome...! Wth??? The old scale could get it right, what’s the problem here?

Best Answer
0 Votes