Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria Wifi ERR solution for new routers which support 802.11ac

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

So I spent a little while trying to get my Aria re-connected after making some changes to my router.

I have one of the new models with two radios (2.4Ghz and 5). It uses 802.11 b/g/n on the 2.4Ghz band and ac on the 5Ghz band, and offers to "intelligently" use the correct band for the device connecting. I set it up on a newish laptop running Windows 10. Apparently there's something that Aria doesn't like about this whole setup, but I finally got it working and this is how:

1. Turn on the guest network in your router and make sure it's set to use the b/g/n mode. (or no more than 54Mbps, or compatibility mode, or whatever they call it in your router.)
  2. Give your guest network a name that only includes letters or numbers. (There's no real reason for this; it seems Fitbit just decided that would be easier for them.)
  3. Make sure there are no hackers in the near vicinity.
  4. Turn off any security for your guest network.
  5. Make sure your guest network is visible (is broadcasting its SSID)
    1. If you don't own your router or have some means of accessing the settings, try calling whoever does and asking them to please change the settings for you, ideally while you're home, during working hours. We're using the guest network because 802.11b is a slower protocol and you'll want to keep using the faster ones on your secure home network. 802.11b was only superceded by faster protocols in 2003, so it's understandable that Fitbit needs a little time to catch up.
  6. Put your Aria in setup mode by taking out one battery for 10 seconds.
  7. Bring your scale, router, and laptop to within 10 feet of one another.
  8. Go to http://www.fitbit.com/setup/aria (I used MS Edge, because enterprise software teams tend to develop for Microsoft first and it doesn't allow plugins. If you don't have Edge, try IE8) (I know we're not dealing with enterprise software here, but it feels the same, so work with me here.)
  9. Clear your cookies and restart your browser. Throw a pinch of salt over your left shoulder and spin around three times counterclockwise.
  10. Follow the prompts, giving your Aria a name that reflects your feelings towards Fitbit. Be honest.
  11. Take a break and send an email to Fitbit support asking why they couldn't just use WPS like printers and music streaming boxes and everything else that needs to connect to wifi without having a keyboard.
  12. Connect to the network starting with "ARIA", hoping that there's only one. You might have to wait a bit for the network to show up.
  13. Hope that no wise guy has called his router "ARIA501b" or something to trick you to connecting to it.
  14. Let it scan for networks and select your guest network. Status messages will be displayed on the scale.
  15. When the webpage shows your guest network, select it.
  16. When prompted, go to your wifi settings and connect to your guest wifi.
  17. Go back to the page and click continue.
  18. Hopefully you'll get a success page, but we're not done yet. Go have a cup of tea.
  19. Put your scale on a hard surface somewhere
  20. Stand on it.
  21. Step off when it tells you to step off.
  22. Watch the display to see if it gives you a checkmark after displaying your weight, BF, and initials, then doing the little "sending" animation.
    1. If you get a little x above a wifi symbol, it didn't work. Contact support or go to step 8 and try, try again.
  23. Go to your fitbit dashboard or open the app and see if it logged your weight.
  24. Go back into your router settings and change your guest wifi to WPA2 and give it a simple password with only letters and numbers (again, this appears to be just because Fitbit decided that would be easier for them.)
  25. Repeat step 8 through 20, including the cup of tea, but this time, when you select your guest network, the scale (or whatever device is broadcasting a name starting with ARIA) will ask for your wifi password. Give it your guest network password. (This is why step 2 is very important. If it turns out to be a honeypot device, at least you have only given it your guest wifi password, which you totally aren't using anywhere else, right?)
  26. Enjoy your new time and effort saving scale!
Best Answer
125 REPLIES 125

I had the same issue.  After several attempts and getting the same error symbol, I just about give up.  Then I found the solution.  It's kinda of technical.  The FITBIT ARIA use WIFI signal 802.11b.  I recently changed my 2.4 Hz signal to 802.11n only (the faster data wifi) on my router.  Once I realized that ARIA only use 802.11b, I went back into my router for the 2.4 Hz signal and changed it to MIXED (get all the 802.11b, c and n).  After the router change to 802.11b, the ARIA linked up quickly.  Problem solved.

I have the Linksys AC1900ACS.   After several attempts and getting the same error symbol, I just about give up.  Then I found the solution.  It's kinda of technical.  The FITBIT ARIA use WIFI signal 802.11b.  I recently changed my 2.4 Hz signal to 802.11n only (the faster data wifi) on my router.  Once I realized that ARIA only use 802.11b, I went back into my router for the 2.4 Hz signal and changed it to MIXED (get all the 802.11b, c and n).  After the router change to 802.11b, the ARIA linked up quickly.  PROBLEM SOLVED.  I reserve the AC for faster products like iphone, tv, PS4, etc.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is driving me absolutely crazy. My scale stopped syncing two weeks ago for literally no reason, same router, same settings, same everything. I have tried every single option here. I have tried on unsecured networks. I have made cups of tea and cursed the FitBit gods ad nauseum. Nothing. Nada. This is ridiculous!!

Best Answer

Unfortunately this did not work for me. I'm so bummer by this. It was working fine for months. I made no changes and it just stopped working one day. Not only does it not connect/sync, my weight measurements vary by lbs even on a solid hard surface. I can't believe I invested so much money in this thing and it doesn't work in multiple ways.

Best Answer

Didn't work for me.

Best Answer

Neither one of these things worked for me.  I have spent over 50+ hours trying to get this scale connected to my wifi.  Fitbit support even sent me a new scale....same problem.  What a waste of time and money.  I am so dissatisfied in Fitbit for even considering these options as "solutions" to this problem!!!    I am not that technologically savvy and without the help of other people I could not have even TRIED these suggestions, which didn't work for me anyway.  So I not only wasted my time, but the time of those I had to enlisted to assist me.  Shame on you Fitbit for making your consumers jump through hoops in an attempt to get your inferior product to perform the tasks that you claimed it would do and we paid a significant amount of money for, and then end up with a pretty scale that doesn't do anything more that the 30 year old, $20 scale I had before I spend $130 on this piece of crap.    

Neither one of these things worked for me.  I have spent over 50+ hours trying to get this scale connected to my wifi.  Fitbit support even sent me a new scale....same problem.  What a waste of time and money.  I am so dissatisfied in Fitbit for even considering these options as "solutions" to this problem!!!    I am not that technologically savvy and without the help of other people I could not have even TRIED these suggestions, which didn't work for me anyway.  So I not only wasted my time, but the time of those I had to enlisted to assist me.  Shame on you Fitbit for making your consumers jump through hoops in an attempt to get your inferior product to perform the tasks that you claimed it would do and we paid a significant amount of money for, and then end up with a pretty scale that doesn't do anything more that the 30 year old, $20 scale I had before I spend $130 on this piece of crap.

I did that first thing and it didn't help at ALL. 50+ hours of trying every fix on this forum and suggestions from Support and all I have is a pretty $130 scale that doesn't work any better than the $20 I had before it.  Glad it worked for you.

Moderator edit: merged replies

Best Answer

Shame on Fitbit!! I sold off my Aria for $40 and bought a $19 walmart.. After using it for 4 months now I wonder why I spend $150 on a **ahem**ty product. 

I can feel your pain.

Shame on Fitbit!! I sold off my Aria for $40 and bought a $19 walmart.. After using it for 4 months now I wonder why I spend $150 on a **ahem**ty product. 

I can feel your pain

i have made so many complaints to Fitbit but noone bothered to hear me out.. 

A company who cheats their customers is doomed sooner or later.

Best Answer
I feel your pain too. I have spent many hours with no success and am a sucker for punishment and revisited it serveral times thinking I must have missed something and there is no way they could put out a product this bad.

As I perviously indicated this Aria scale will never connect to a Linksys WRT3200ACM router with the current firmware 39. I will try again when I notice they have released a new firmware version. My solution is to run a second wireless network with an old Dlink DIR655 just to connect to the Aria.

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ smartphone
Best Answer

Switching off 802 protocols worked for me too. Thanks a lot!

Best Answer

AMEN.  Thank you for solving this.  Worked perfectly for me.  Shocked and awed!

Best Answer

Tried this method and didn't work for me - I suspect it's because my router has no 802.11b support at all (Linksys WRT3200 ACM).

WRT3200ACM doesn't have 802.11b support, just A, G, N, and AC.

Best Answer

Or just throw the piece of **ahem** out the window

Best Answer

So Fitbit sent me a new scale.  Still had problems syncing it.  Had to delete my account, set up a new account and that did the trick...the new scale synced. It worked fine for 6 months and now it stopped syncing and after hours of trying all the suggested fixes, it still does not sync.  So now I two ugly paperweights.  So done with Fitbit products.

I did this and it did not work for me.

Best Answer

throwing it out the window 100% worked for me.

Best Answer

This can't be Happening. After my fit bit flex died out of nothing after 1,5 year , Fit bit didn't want to give me warranty. so i have a  Samsung GearFit2 now $130,- so Cheaper and much more functionality!. and now my Aria scale doesn't want to sync anymore ether. It's like Fitbit product's are doomed to die after a year. not buying any more products from them. it's a waste of money!!!

Best Answer

I'm not PC friendly, so fiddling with my router isn't ideal - what a pain!

Why on earth do you need to go to all these lengths to simply set up a scales..... what a waste of money this has turned out to be 😞

Best Answer

I agree! I have been a loyal Fitbit user for years, but because of this and other issues with the app, I’m done. I now have two useless Aria scales. Such a waste of money. I just bought an Apple Watch. Expensive, but I love it! At least it’s not money wasted, like I wasted on Fitbit products, and I know the service, if I ever need it, will be oh so much better. So long Fitbit!

Best Answer

I was recently selected by the VA to participate in an experiment/wellness program called Stay Strong.  One of the benefits of participating is that the VA gave me a brand new Charge 2 (!) and a bluetooth scale.  The scale is made by A&D.  Connecting the scale, via bluetooth, to my phone took about 45 seconds, all told.  45 seconds.  Now, it doesn't integrate with the fitbit app, but it integrates with an A&D app.  So.... WTF, fitbit?!  I spent, cumulatively, about 24 hours trying to get my Aria scale to work.  I mean, look at the ridiculous 26-step set of instructions to set up the scale... THAT DIDN'T WORK.  The only way I would've been able to use my scale is to have turned off a safety feature that prevents others from using my router without a password.  I live in a densely populated neighborhood with 2 large hotels nearby (one is next door).  Any random person could've perpetrated any illegal act using my internet, which would've made me complicit; and for what?  So that I can weigh myself and have the data wirelessly transferred to my fitness app?  It's flabbergasting to me that in the 21st century, a 'tech' company like fitbit can't produce a scale that quickly, easily and, basically, effortlessly syncs with my phone or computer.  When is fitbit ever going to get their act together about this?  Seriously: it's been YEARS of this.  

Best Answer

I tried all of the above-mentioned solutions. At a certain point I considered it to be perhaps a device issue, thus I went back to the store and exchanged it. Rechecked all of the router settings... again and after TWO weeks of trying to sync the device and get it to connect to the WiFi - nothing! NOTHING! I contacted customer support two hours ago and after having me literally do nothing more than unplug my router, laptop and "restart" the Aria scale, I have achieved nothing more, than two hours of my life wasted on this set up TODAY and countless hours in the past TWO WEEKS! The customer support is questionable- at best! and the device is clearly more trouble than it's truly worth. I'd rather spend $100 more on something that actually works, rather than waste any more time and money on a product and a company that's evidently too new not to create devices and have customer service personnel knowledgeable on their own products! My recommendation: DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY!

Best Answer

I simply cannot believe that no one from fitbit has contributed to this thread.... Do they not care?

I have eventually sorted out my scales. My husband did the exact same process as instructed, on his iPhone (6) in exactly the same way.... And it worked... first time. Neither my iPhone (7) nor iPad (mini 2) worked.....

My only advice therefore would be to retry using a different device.... 

Best Answer
0 Votes

This worked! Thanks so much

@AaronPlant wrote:
I spoke to Fitbit support today, and the solution for me was so simple it made me cry.

The answer to allow the Aria to reconnect to a new WiFi network is actually to delete the Aria users from your account which has the effect of 'un-pairing' your Aria which will then allow it to connect to a new WiFi network. Please note that this operation is NOT possible via the IOS or Android mobile apps which do not have this functionality, so it has to be done via a browser on the Fitbit web site by logging into your account.

Just login and enter settings. Select your Aria from your device list and then click the 'x' against each and all users of the scale. When the list is empty, your aria should be removed from your device list automatically.

At this point you can then run the normal setup procedure to add a new Aria, which will take you through the process of logging onto your Aria itself via WiFi, and connecting it to your house WiFi again.

This worked flawlessly for me with NO special WiFi settings. I only have an alphanumeric WiFi passcode on my router so you may need this but I don't think it matters.

I also didn't have to disable ANY security settings at all, it just works.

You will not lose any previously synchronised weight measurements.

Until I did this - my Aria was flatly refusing to connect at all despite trying all the suggested 'solutions' I could find on the community forum.

Please let me know if it helps you!

Best Answer