Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria is unreliable in its weight measurements

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

It often takes several tries to get two measurements that are the same on my Aria scale. If I don't like what the scale says, I just step off and get back on for a new weight. Usually I get a lower reading if I step on with my left foot first. Now, I have had this scale for a year and if I weigh regularly, the general trend line is accurate. Over weeks, I generally know if I am losing or gaining weight. And I don't usually need to know exactly what I weigh. The scale response varies only by a couple of pounds. However, this is the most expensive scale I have ever bought and it fails at its most basic function, measuring weight accurately. I would not buy another one or recommend it to others for this reason.

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
51 REPLIES 51

The idea they would suggest I actually gained that weight in seconds, and it's actually more accurate that way is ludicrous.

Best Answer
Absolutely ludicrous. Yes.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

Actually I decided not to return it... but... thinking of another one to get along with my aria air...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Omron-BF214-Body-Composition-Monitor/dp/B00B2YHE5W

Omron BF214... It calculates both body fat percentage and BMI at the same time, it is much easier for me...

Off white (slight shade of green) is 39GBP!

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had mine for a few years, maybe it's time to upgrade to another
company.
--

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer

So I've been having similar issues with mine. And decided to Google it to find this thread, and my experience matches these others.

in fact I hadn't even thought of the issue between getting on it with my left or right foot. It turns out I can get the result to swing by more than half a pound just by getting on it with my right foot. Over the past 45 minutes my weight has fluctuated by more than a pound. No wonder my results have been inconsistent!

I get that weight loss is a long-term trend line kind of thing, but I agree with the other posters in this thread. If your scale is going to display measurements to the decimal point, and isn't even accurate to the whole number - and you know this full well - there is no definition of reliable instrument that applies. And you are misleading your users.

For a company that is focused on making measurement and health devices, this is pretty bad form and rules out Fitbit for me for future health tracking purposes. I don't want to be patronized by false precision that you know you can't deliver.

Best Answer

I disagree with this statement its utter rubbish, you might have convinced me if the fluctuations where not almost instant, the fluctuations are massive and only you only have to step off and back on again to see this somtimes kgs apart and the body fat fluctuations by up to 5% it does fail at its basic function as is far more costly than better products on the market 

Very disappointed by this product I too will not buy another and would not recommend to anyone else Garmin offers accuracy and consistency 

Best Answer

I'm having the exact same issue. The first time I step onto the scale, it will give me a reading that's consistently 4-6lbs higher than my rea weight. The fat % is the same issue....every morning it shows up around 30% and then I step off, step on again and then it comes back to 23%-ish

How can a scale have such a MASSIVE difference both in weight and body fat within SECONDS of measurements? It's become a habit for me to get 3 readings and then use the 2 that are most consistent, then go to fitbit.com and delete the wrong entry. Do not recommend to anyone. Fitbit shouldn't be selling scales with decimal points....perhaps just have 150-ish, 160-ish and so on as part of your readings.

I'm sorry Matthew, but with all respect, this answer doesn't make sense. As I posted above...I'm having the exact same issue. The first time I step onto the scale, it will give me a reading that's consistently 4-6lbs higher than my real weight. The fat % is the same issue....every morning it shows up around 30% and then I step off, step on again, and then it comes back to 23%-ish How can a scale have such a MASSIVE difference both in weight and body fat within SECONDS of measurements?

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
Another comment referred to a difference between accuracy and consistency. I.e. A scales may be inaccurate if it is always wrong, but still consistent if it is always, say, over by 0.1lb. So, I have checked my scales against a set of calibrated medical scales in the same area, with measurements being taken at the same time (literally stepping off one and then on to the other), wearing the same clothes etc. The average discrepancy is +1.8lb, in a range +1.4lb to +2.4lb.

In short, the Aria Scales are not accurate or consistent in their inaccuracy. And both the average discrepancy and range of variability are at a level that is statistically meaningful to a person, like me, that targets a weight loss of 1lb per week.
Best Answer

I have a medical need to track any sudden weight changes (due to cardiac issues leading to fluid absorption in body tissue), greater than 2 lbs in 2 days or 4 lbs in a week. Long term trends, BMI, etc. are great to know, but not my critical concern. This morning, I got 217.4, then seconds later, 219.0. If there is a real fix for consistency, please let us know. If the sensor itself has a real accuracy range this broad, can Fitbit please just tell us so that I (and others in a similar position) can buy a different scale? Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

They have replied that the scale is performing as designed. Replace the
scale with a different brand is the only solution.--

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks @The1gofer . Maybe time to just give up and move on.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had the same issue with using it to detect weight gain from fluid over overload due to heart failure with my Mum.  It was constantly half a kilo off.  I gave up and bought a set from a medical supply shop (in Australia) which is much more accurate. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Your weight will fluctuate from day to day. That does not mean you are losing fat or muscle. This is likely just water weight that comes and goes throughout the day and from day to day. The heavier you are, the more of this you'll see. Weigh yourself first thing in the morning every day and look at week averages instead. 

Best Answer

You didn’t read the posts did you?--

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was actually replying to comment below. For the same reason no one knows who the "you" is in your post, you can't tell which comment I was replying to. 

"Ok, but here is my issue. Real Case Scenerio. Last Monday, I got on the Aria, and got 329.9. Tuesday,... Got 328.5,... Wednesday,... instead of stepping on and seeing numbers being calculated, the scale read, Thinking, then, Step off, and then told me 324.0. Then Thursday, 327.9. Friday, 327.4. Saturday, 326.9. Sunday,... Thinking, Step off. 324.0. 

Is there a way to turn off the bull**ahem** weights. I'm not a little girl who gets motivated by a tremendous glob of bull**ahem** to make me feel good. I need real stats. I need a trackable, real path. The Fitbit has awakened a real fever for getting the weight off. Almost an obsession. It is frustrating, though, when my tech is not in the game. HELP!!!! Is there a way to disengage, "the bull**ahem** algorithm?"

Best Answer
0 Votes

So you’re suggesting that our weight actually fluctuates that much in a
matter of seconds stepping in and off the scale?--

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did you even read the comment I pasted that I was replying to? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My weight is off by 10! Pounds! I would love to believe this to be true, but my common sense and "acustic" scale says otherwise. This is very expense and not get an accurate weigh. Please advise.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Get a Renpho scales. They are consistent, very accurate and sync with FitBit Dashboard!!
Best Answer

Juan, we are all having the same issue and all the “work arounds” and resets just don’t work. I like all the other people in this thread are warning people not to go near the Aria.

if Fitbit are serious about making this right you would put out a recall, refund or exchange program.

Best Answer