Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria shows a "SENSING, THINKING, ERR" message

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I purchased my Aria a few years ago and have not had any problems but when I moved a year ago I changed WIFI providers. Now I'm trying to connect the scale to my fitbit account. Once I thought I finally got it connected I tried to use the scale but the display shows "Setup Active", then I goes to "sensing, thinking, err".

I have removed a battery and waited 10 seconds numerous times and even tried pushing the small reset button but I can't get this scale to do anything but repeat the same message over and over.

What else am I missing?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
36 REPLIES 36

I’m having exactly the same problem. My batteries died. I replaced them and now I can’t get it to work. Just says sending, thinking then ERR. 

Best Answer

I suddenly have the same problem. Why? Someone said it is due to Fitbit having a new program,

Best Answer

funny, I am having the same problem. Tried reconnecting to the scale after not using it for a while today and I am getting the same error. 

FITBIT what is the deal!?

Best Answer

This is SUPER frustrating because it isn't a problem with my WIFI. When I go to the fitbit app, it HAS communicated or synced with the app and it shows that. The only thing the scale will NOT do is display the weight AND it will not send the weight. The display on the scale can clearly show the LEDs because it is able to form the words STEP OFF... THINKING... SENSING... ERR. It just will NOT show or register my weight. I've tried reinstalling the app. I've tried connecting and resetting through a laptop, a computer, AND a phone... I've tried resetting to the factory default through that little hole... all with the same frustrating lack of success. I AM able to sync and I do get a green checkmark saying everything has worked, but it hasn't. It seems like in the process of just replacing the batteries... the scale has forgotten how to take a weight measurement. I find it ludicrous that replacing the batteries would "break" the weight sensor. This is outrageous and probably a design flaw but because the Aria is past its warranty.. I'm not getting the feeling like the Fitbit company cares. REALLY UNREASONABLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. And I don't need a "thank you for your feedback" kind of reply. I want a SOLUTION like... "Here's a patch or update... download this code so the scale will remember how to take a weight again. I am totally disgusted by the thought that this scale might now just become an expensive piece of electronic garbage in a landfill somewhere. I thought Fitbit was about being healthy and this is not healthy... not for my stress level nor for our environment. Are we really just this disposable society. Does the Fitbit team REALLY not care? I'm super aggravated but still hoping to hear of a solution from the Fitbit team.

Best Answer

I engage the same problem as Jan. Scale is re-connected to Wifi after changing router. This worked well and scale is syncing with app. However if standing on the scale the message 'sensing, thinking, err is displayed. Weight and user-initials are also not displayed. Help is required as more and more people are having same problem. 

Best Answer

I'm having the same problem. Changed batteries and now I get this err message. How can we fix it?

Best Answer

In case anyone is interested...

I was having this same issue and I spoke to someone on Live Chat and went through all possible issues and they ended up replacing my Aria with an Aria 2.

I bought my Aria in late 2015 but they replaced it anyway!

Needless to say, I’m pretty happy with this outcome!

Best Answer

I just had an extensive conversation with a Fitbit support representative who could not do anything for me except offer to pay the shipping on an Aria 2 or Aria air!! They didn’t seem to care that the identical problem was happening to lots of us. Even tried to suggest that it might be a “coincidence” that the Aria stopped working when I changed the battery!!!  So extremely frustrating!!! I’m going to go to all the stores in my area and tell the salespeople of my experience so they can counsel others to buy something different. I’d feel differently if they were remorseful or acted like they cared. 

Best Answer

I have the same issue.  Changed the batteries and got the same message:  Sensing, Thinking, ERR.  

Take batteries out, wait 15 seconds, re-insert.  It recognizes the WiFi network.  Good.  Step on scale, same error.  

Rep. said step on, step off 5 times.  No luck.  

Best Answer

Can you tell us who it was that you sent your info to and who you delt with

Best Answer

I assume that question is for Mikaela. You don’t want the person I dealt with because he was absolutely no help at all. He claimed that he didn’t even know that lots of people were having the same problem. I suggested that he needed to read the forum for Aria scales.

I’m still waiting to hear back from Fitbit support because I questioned how or why Mikaela would get a free replacement scale when the rest of us got nothing. It does not seem fair at all. I think they should take responsibility for their design flaw even if the scale is past its warranty. 

Best Answer
Yes I sent off a help request so I will let you know

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer

I totally agree and am having the same problem !!

Shame on u fitbit & your customer service is rubbish.

I have been trying for 2 weeks to solve the same problem without any joy

Best Answer

I've been communicating with https://contact.fitbit.com, Mynor A and the Fitbit team.

Final answer is:

1.  You've done all the troubleshooting we recommend.

2.  Your scale is out of warranty

3.  We don't offer repairs or replacement parts

4.  We'd like you to consider our new Aria 2 scale.

End result is this ERR message is making existing scales obsolescent and unusable, and boosting the upgrade cycle for new scales.

Best Answer

Which is really frustrating and unfair because look at the results Mikaela got! 

We all have experienced the same problem. I’m very disappointed in the Fitbit team not realizing that what is happening with our scales when we change the battery is just WRONG and shameful.  😞

5598BA23-3B5A-4428-8D98-70ADDB24E5FF.png

Best Answer

 PROGSTER!

Definitely don’t fall for their suggestion!!! Look at THIS post from an Aria 2 user!!!!! This is so outrageous I want to tell the world!!! They’ve created products that only last as long as a set of 4 double A batteries!!! Not just the Aria but the Aria 2 as well!!!!!

Disgusting on SO many levels; environmentally, economically but also pathetic company business scam to try to force people to upgrade, 

66B4BA14-04DA-44D9-94C7-8D05BE4AA788.png

2551D26B-236C-4675-B62A-A823EAC5ADE5.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

02D0C922-301D-488E-8F85-1DD7511668AC.png

The company doesn’t seem to care. They just say - too bad you’re out of warranty. The nervy thing is they’re suggesting upgrading to an Aria 2 but look at what an Aria 2 user posted in another thread!!!!

AE03C3A7-06DA-42DA-9336-811556987734.png

Best Answer

Suffered same issue. Glad I wasted 2 hours trying to fix. Discovered this is a common known problem with no resolution.

Done with Fitbit.

Best Answer

Same issue for me as well.  I've reviewed half a dozen other threads on this issue and gone through all suggested steps multiple times with no luck. 

Best Answer