Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Body Fat

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hey - I’ve been using my aria scales since 2016 & always measured in the early 30%’s for body fat. Recently, I’m reading (bit late) that with this reading I’m obese! I don’t think I am! I’m 5’7”, weigh 138 lbs & have a bmi of 21.5. I’m fit & exercise regularly - why am I classed as obese? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

There are different ways of classifying "obesity". 

Most common is probably BMI, by which you are well within the normal range.  The limitation with BMI is that it only considers height and weight, with no regard to whether the weight is fat or lean.  I.E. a trim body-builder might be in great shape but be (mis)classified as obese via BMI.

Perhaps better from a health standpoint is body fat %, but this is less commonly used because it is not as readily available.

One source I see says:

For men, a percentage of body fat greater than 25% defines obesity, with 21-25% being borderline. For women, over 33% defines obesity, with 31-33% being borderline.

which might put you in borderline or lower obesity.

There are different ways to measure body fat % and no single way is the ultimate correct answer.

But if you do regular aerobic exercise, you might try adding some strength training to your routine to increase muscle mass and see if that lowers you body fat %, realizing any change like that would take some time to show consistently in measurements.

Another thing is to take your weight/body fat % measurement in the morning consistently before eating or drinking, to get the best consistent result because body fat %, as measured this method, is sensitive to body fluid, but since you have been getting consistent results, you are probably doing this already.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes