Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria body fat percentage questions

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi, I have a question on whether it is really possible I'm made up of 33% body fat (according to the aria scale).  Here are my stats:

51 year old woman

5' 6"

132 lbs.

currently wearing a size 6

33% body fat according to the charts means I'm obese.  I don't feel obese.  I know I need to lose 8 more lbs. to be at my ideal weight that I feel best at, but this 33% body fat has been pretty consistent the whole time I've been dieting.  Even after I lose 8 more lbs., I do not think it will be much less than 33% body fat on the aria scale.  I'm definitely not lean, so I know selecting the "lean" category in the settings would not apply to me.

I'm fine with just ignoring this and feeling good about the lbs. I've already lost, but every morning it's still a little depressing to weigh yourself and think how is it possible that 33% of my body is pure fat.

I weigh myself bare foot, dry feet every morning before I shower.  I do not move the scale.  It is sitting on the floor in my bedroom, same spot as always.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
356 REPLIES 356

I got my Aria yesterday and it worked fine with the set up and initial measurements. I moved it to the bathroom and the weight stayed consistent but the BF jumped 15% and has stayed there.ever since. Any new updates to what's going on?

Best Answer
No info from the Aria/ Fitbit crew.

Sent from my castle in the sky.
Best Answer
0 Votes

My Aria is quite inconsistent too.

- It almost always happens that first measurement is always almost 1kg more than subsequent (5) measurements.

- BF measurement is so totally out of wack (33,34,35%) depends.

I am 33y old Female, 67,8kg by other scales, 168cm high - yep I need to lose some 7kg or so, but BF this high makes me "obese" wich is not the case...

For thing to be even more funny, sometimes Aria's BF measurement is 16-18% (when my Aria thinks I am my boyfriend, who's weight is about 100kg).

Completely unaceptable, and I am all together thinking of returing the product as it doesn't offer consistency in measurements.

Best Answer

See Tall Guys post above.  Could condensation from moisture related to the shower be affecting your readings?  Unless it's a spacious room, it may not be the best location for the scale?  Also it must be placed on a firm surface and not a mat.

Best Answer
0 Votes
The interesting thing is that my % BF measurements are consistent with more professional measurements that I have done. I'm 5'4" and weigh 127. Generally lately 33% BF- so obese. As I exercise more my % BF goes down. As I exercise less my % BF goes up. When I was consistently doing CrossFit 3x/ week my %BF was about 22. I was in great shape and looked and felt good. My weight was about the same as it is now. I think the % BF on Aria is fairly accurate.

Sent from my castle in the sky.
Best Answer
0 Votes

is there even a point of buying this scale? I love the idea but if it doesn't work than whats the point.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It works as a scale that links to your fitbit, nothing more. I would not buy it again. Not worth the money

I have tried all of your recommendations without success.

Bottom line is that this scale has an issue  with body fat measurement.

Are you working on a fix or should I return it?

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm getting a body fat percentage that I know is 5% points out which is unacceptable. I'll be returning as I bought it for trending my body fat. 

Best Answer

Hi Carrie,

join the club. The really annoying aspect is that the device is clearly faulty and makes claims it cannot fulfill. I can cope with this and just use the scales, but titles like accepted solutions and solved are clearly unfathomable. Solution? Solved? My arse! 🙃

Best Answer

Yes calling it "solved" is a bit of a cheek. For £100 i expect the scale to be one of the most accurate scales one can buy. Continuously selling a product that is knowingly faulty is theft in my opinion. 

Best Answer

thank you all for all your replys I've decided not to waste my money..... I really wish it worked I could use something this to help with my goals right now but this just isnt it. 

Best Answer

So I recently calibrated Aria's body fat measurement by having a DXA body composition analysis for about $40.  This is the gold standard BTW and readers should google it if you don't know already.

My own results validate Aria's results and I know this will be unpopular.

you see, the technology underlying the scale was never intended to be an absolute test of total body fat and should only be a ball park estimate and should be used for trending weight changes.  This allows us to assess whether there is net gain or loss of fat.

Best Answer
0 Votes

No that's not good enough when other much cheaper scales are much more accurate. A 5% inaccuracy is a large inaccuracy when measuring body fat percentage. If you look at body fat charts accepted by government health boards a 5% difference can put you from middle of healthy fat category to a large portion into obese category. I'm sorry but this is not acceptable.  If what you are saying is correct in regards to the accuracy then I think you are a small number of lucky customers that have a non faulty scale. 

Best Answer

Is the BF measurement accurate on your new one?  Curious if these replacement models are working correct.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@laurelz wrote:

Is the BF measurement accurate on your new one?  Curious if these replacement models are working correct.

Im not sure.... non of the fitbit items are 100% accurate my blaze heart rate isnt even close to being right and in return my caloric output it way off so it screwed up my diet... its pretty much a 200 and something dollar step counter. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the SAME issue and its very frustrating.  I am 5'5.5 and weigh around 129-132 and also always at a BF of 32% etc.  When i am lowest at 129 it has a lower BF when I am at 132 it is at a lower but still never below 30% which just doesnt seem correct at all.  I have been using this scale for about a year now so it should have adjusted by now if we are going based off of what the other person keeps saying.  This information should be accurate as that was the whole reason I bought the scale to begin with.  Very Very Frustrating. 

Best Answer

Is there any answer to why Aria is measuring to high fat levels?

I think we all understands calculation factor itself and the water levels impact on weight.

But non of these explanations really answer why fat levels are to high.

Workarounds like removing the battery isn't a solution, so is there a solution to the issue?

Best Answer

Trading standards?

Best Answer
I know I'm losing body fat. I'm on a nutritious course and can tell the difference (so can my husband so I know I'm not imagining it) but my scales show a higher BF then ever before. I'm doing another DEXA scan in a couple of weeks which should (hopefully) provide me with an accurate and encouraging report. My last report had me at 18% BF which is in the healthy range buy currently my Aria is showing 34% - that's quite a difference- I just use my scales now for my weight....nothing more....which is sad considering I paid more than I would have for all the extra bells and whistles. I could have saved some money by just getting a regular set of scales!
Best Answer

To you all having "surprising”/fluctating fat values:

I’m out in unknown waters as I do not know exactly how the scale does this but I am guessing that it sends a small current through one leg to the other. The resistance is then calculated and combined to your height and weight. Fat has a different resistance vs muscles (so the relation between fat and muscles will effect the resistance).

If I am right, the “contact area” (I.e. your feet) will have a huge impact on the result. A very dry/dusty/sandy foot will give a high “fat value” and a moist, sweaty (salty) foot will give a low fat value. A newly washed foot would give something in between.

Anyhow, IF I am right, these values will differ from day to day, the “important” thing is thus the trend (which should be true over time).

Just my 2 cents (guessing).

Best Answer