Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant connect to Aria WiFi

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
Most people seem to struggle to connect to their home WiFi but mey problem is connecting to Arias WiFi. I have tried both setup methods. One with a laptop using the downloaded program & the mobile web page on a mobile phone with mobile data switched off as per other posts. I get as far as the devices unsuccessfully attempting to connect to the Aria's WiFi. With the laptop it eventually comes back with limited connection but then the step thereafter fails as there is no network connection apparently. With the phone, it gets as far as "Obtaining IP address" & thats as far as it goes till it gives up. My router is set to cover b, g & n. I've been through the help pages & YouTube videos but nothing seems to cover my experience. This is very frustrating for an expensive scale. Can anybody help or am I returning this tomorrow?
Best Answer
76 REPLIES 76
Absolutely! I have had my scale for 3 years. It worked great with the old WiFi protocol, but not the new! I still use it everyday, but have to enter the data into my Dashboard manually. FitBit really is getting way behind and will continue to loose market share if they do not wake up!
Best Answer

Thanks for posting these instructions. New scale user. I didn't realize I also need to connect to Aria after I had Aria connected to my wifi. So I was following these steps but my scale does not show up under the wifi list on either my phone or my laptop. When I try to reset the scale, it says connected and "tap to change". It doesn't say tap what so I tapped the display. Nothing. Still no "Aria" network to connect to so I'm stuck.

Suggestions?

Best Answer

I have to exact same problem. I am a network administrator and connect many devices daily to WIFI.
I have never seen anything this stubbern.
I have all the correct WIFI requirements 802.11b, DHCP but it is will not connect.
I have tried it with my tablet, my laptop and my phone, both ways, via app and via web site.

IT DOES NOT WORK!

I only have the new geneartion 802.11 ac routers in my house (E.g. Verizon Quantum G1100) but htey do support 802.11g on the 2.5Ghz band.
Has anybody go it to work with a G1100?
Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, Ive just bought a new Aria and prior to its arrival this morning, I was getting a little worried about whether I had invested in a lemon. Thankfully, I haven't, because getting it going was as simple as taking it out of the box, downloading softwarre to my Windows 10 Surface Pro, pulling the tab on the batteries, launching the app, naming my scales and filling in my wireless password. Job done.

I've stepped on them, they've weighed me and sync'd back to Fitbit, so I'm a (lucky?) happy bunny.

Best Answer
0 Votes

To update:  I was able to connect to Aria about 30 minutes after I originally posted this and it's been working fine ever since.  The two solutions that worked for me:  1. I searched other user replies for a solution to the tap issue. Found another user who said to place the Aria very near the wifi, wait for the instruction to tap and press down with both palms on the bottom half of the scale. I put mine on the coffee table next to the router and tried it. That worked. 2.  "aria" never showed up for me under the options for existing wireless network connections but I was able to setup a new network that linked to it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Mine also worked well originally and for a couple of years until Time Warner upgraded my WiFi.

It also goes through batteries faster because it attempts a sync several times after I use it.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Holy crap. thank you so much. I've been trying to figure this out for an hour now!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

This does not work for me. It simply will not connect.

I connect to Aria, but it isn't online.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So while it shows up on my wifi network as trying to connect as its been mentioned this product doesnt support the "n" protocol, however, it does support g - well everything else on my network is n, so Im very disapointed that something bought in 2016 doesnt support the n protocol given it was released in 2009..

of course having your network support both protocols means its likely running at the lower speed .. not what you need for anything else..

Best Answer
0 Votes

I do not have the facilities or knowledge to build or programme fitBit equiptment. That is why I pay FitBit to do it for me.

I take exception to having to spend 2 hours getting my Aria to talk to my new wifi router. Why have I paid you so much in excess of normal electronic scales if I have to do so much programming myself?

I setup 2 PCs, 2 Android devices, an iPad and a smart tv in under 30mins. Why does it then take me another 2 hours to setup the Aria scales.

Try hiring some programmes.

Best Answer
It's almost more that they cheaped out on paying for the wifi connector in the unit. One that uses a more modern protocol and is more readily accepted probably cost a few tiny scraps more.

In getting the response from the support guys saying it only supports wireless mode b I nearly returned it. N has been around a long time and is the standard for anything made since then pretty much. Having to lower my wifi network to allow this has had impacts.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey you @bugfinder @Srete @MattFarmer84, hope you're doing great! If you're getting this wifi err when setting up your scale, I would recommend which is the Protocol that your router uses. The Aria scale works with the Protocol 802.11b and some other routers run the protocol 802.11n or 802.11g. If you don't know which is the protocol that your router uses, you can get in touch with your service provided an they can check on this for you.

Have a nice day!

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

For anyone using Ubiquiti Access Points, the new firmware and controller may have broken support legacy devices.

To be fair - Aria's wireless is very legacy...

http://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/AC-LR-FitBit-Aria-Scale-not-working-with-5-x-releases/td...

Best Answer

My fibit aria can literally see evry wifi network except my own!?! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

"The problem is Fitbit is using a $20 GS1011 SoC (System on a chip) from Gainspan, and that module only supports 802.11b instead of the $25 GS2000 — these prices are QTY 1, Yes I get it, if you product 1 million of these, even an extra dollar is 1 million dollars in extra cost."

https://cantechit.com/2015/06/27/disabling-802-11b-for-performance-and-the-fitbit-performance-tax/

Best Answer

Same story. New 802.11n router that Aria cannot detect. There must be millions of Aria's out there. How long before they all quit connecting?  

Best Answer

Fitbit Tech Support came to my rescue. I succesfully able to connect to my dual band Netgear modem.   I think putting new batteries in the Aria also helped even though they registered as "medium" strength.  This is what Tech support instructed me to

"We'll gladly assist you to set up your Aria scale with your new Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Router.

Thanks for providing your router details. Please note that the Aria scale is only capable of connecting to wireless routers using the 802.11b standard, which falls into the 2.4 GHz frequency band. You indicated that you are using a dual-band router, which offers both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. We would like you to proceed through the following instructions, so that we can connect directly to that 2.4 GHz frequency.

Please open your router settings and assign a unique wireless channel to each of these two frequency bands, making sure that the channel used for 2.4 GHz is lower than the one chosen for 5 GHz. Also give the two frequency bands individualized SSID names, so that you can specifically choose the 2.4 GHz SSID during the Aria setup process.

Once you have saved these settings, proceed through the Aria setup process again by directing your WiFi device to http://www.fitbit.com/scale/setup/start. When you reach the point at which you are asked to select your local wireless network, you should see both of these SSID options available. Choose the name you have assigned to 2.4 GHz and submit your password to complete the setup.

When you reach the step that asks you to place the scale in "SETUP ACTIVE" mode, please follow the steps below: 

1. Remove a battery from the scale, and wait at least ten seconds before reinserting it. 
2. Your scale should briefly show your previous network name, and will then display "TAP TO CHANGE." 
3. When you see the word "TAP" appear on the display, press down firmly and briefly on the scale's two bottom corners. 
4. Your scale's display should go blank for a moment, then read "SETUP ACTIVE." 
5. At this point you may continue with the on-screen instructions to set up your scale with your new network. 

If the scale's display goes blank or shows weight measurement information during these steps, you will need to remove a battery and return to Step 3 to try again. Once the scale reads “Setup Active,” you can proceed through the rest of Aria setup as normal. 

If you need any further assistance to set up your Aria, please let us know. We'll be happy to continue assisting you.

Sincerely,

Adriana A and the Fitbit Team"

Best Answer

Setting your router to 802.11b is a glorious thing as long as you only want 11mb out of your network speed.

802.11n which has been out for many many years, is 300mb.  Wired networks these days are 1000mb.. so, before that 100mb.. so, sure, if you have <8mb broadband you wouldnt notice a difference, although your speed between devices on your internal network would suffer you can get away with this

anyone else? if you go mixed rate the network lowers to the lowest device on the network, so fire up your scales, and now those films and netflix are coming in at at best, 11mb.

it is such a shame these scales have such an old chip in them.. as Ive paid for really expensive non networked scales as I need the network speed thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Agree, can't get mine set up either. Fitbit says my router ssid can't have any special characters so changed that with Comcast but it also wants an 802.11b protocol and Comcast says if they change it to that so I can use the scale, it will severely degrade my internet speed. Fitbit needs to update their interfaces so it works with newer routers. SO FRUSTRATED. Like you, I have a pretty scale that doesn't talk to the computer. I tried linking to my phone but you can't JUST do that. At the end, it made me link to my home network which doesn't work for the reason above, so I'm dead in the water either way.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Finally after about an hour, CleveW was the hero in posting how to clear the scale for REsetting up from a previous network.   I moved a few weeks ago and  I thought it was just not recognizing me but then realized that it hadn't been downloading/uploading data to my app or the website.

Best Answer
0 Votes