Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone using their fitbit to improve health through Chronic illness

I have severe ME and Fibromyalgia, I have been mainly housebound and sometimes bedbound for the last 5 years. I have bought my fitbit to encourage movement and improve pain levels by trying to improve my muscle health. I have to start very slowly and am working with Oxford Pain clinic to rehabilitate my body. I will never be "normal" but I hope to be able to control my illness and do the best I can to gain some strength back.

Is anyone else using their fitbit in a similar wayCat Wink

Best Answer
155 REPLIES 155

Yes, I'm trying to increase my activity because I am a very sedentary person which is NOT GOOD. I need to move and I'm using this device to increase my stamina. I have a rare lung disease and need to increase my stamina as I've recently been in the hospital and need to get stronger. You can do this if you have the motivation to get better. We can both get better; it is hard, but the outcome is worth it. Blessings on you my friend.

Best Answer

You can do this!!! Hang in there; don't give up.

Best Answer
Are you going to work out today? I am going to try to work out today...I
missed working out thursday...

--
Sincerely,

Emily Collins
678-983-1925

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help enough
other people get what they want." Zig Ziglar
Best Answer

Yes, but my workouts are very limited - only on my stationery bike. I hope you have a great workout.

Best Answer

You are a survivor; you are a fighter; and yes, you are on the right track. I cannot imagine what you must have been through and continue to go through each day of your life. I cannot even begin to understand what you go through each day, but I know that you are not alone in your journey. God is with you each step of the way through the valley you are in, but He will walk you through to the other side where it is good. He will never leave you alone; Tashapus, I understand about illness myself. I have been sickly my entire life and in 2004 found out that I have a rare lung disease and that my immune system has been compromised my entire life. When I get a respiratory infection or even a tummy virus, it takes me lots of medications and a very long time to recover. I don't have a lot of stamina and must pace myself. It's something that I have to live with, and even though my issues are nothing to compare with yours, I do understand and I do empathize, Tashapus, and I know that you will get better with the strong determination that you seem to have. I wish you God's best, and if you ever want to talk, I'm here on Fitbit. Blessings on you my Fitbit friend!!!

Best Answer

Cheers to all, waking up each day wanting to fight to make each new day better than the last for ourselves and others.  Each and everyone of us chronics are survivors.

Personally, I hate to even think about my illnesses, but prefer to view myself as a daily survivor. If it is one step,100, or more each day, we are taking that step to fight to take back the life that we want. Struggling to take that first step can often be the worst, but with momentum and a bit of support I hope each one gets a bit better for each and everyone of us.

Best Answer

My FitBit is new for me, so it's more that I *hope* to use it to overcome my own illness.

Besides mental illness issues (which it is highly recommended to live a balanced lifestyle that includes good sleep, healthy eating, solid routine, and consistent exercise in order to stay happy), I have asthma and chronic bronchitis, Sensory Processing Disorder (mostly physical), and hypoglycemia. The lung problems make exercise so difficult because an asthma attack could be fatal -- I've been hospitalized before and almost died once (I'm only alive because someone came by after I collapsed; which is really scary to think about). I also have lordosis (basically my spine curves too far inward); I've often been told to "just stand up straight" but correcting a spinal problem isn't that simple. So I've never received much sympathy for any of this throughout my life; I was just told to "overcome it" or "get over it", despite it's critically affected my lifestyle. I'm trying to take back control of my own health now.

Best Answer

Where do you live? I hope you get some relief. 

Best Answer

Yes!

And I'm glad I'm Not the only one. 

Having a long term illness/condition isn't easy but keep strong Hun.

Mine motivates me to move about.

It also helps me relax and track heart rate.

Best Answer

Thank you n good health to you!

Best Answer

Have you tried Acupuncture and Chiropractic Care? They have helped me a lot. Melatonin helps me to sleep. Also, eating a Paleo Gluten free diet has made a huge difference.

Best Answer

Have you tried Acupuncture? That has helped me.

Best Answer
I have not but thanks for the reminder
Best Answer

I'm glad you started this thread. I've been looking for users that are fighting against chronic illnesses. I use my Versa to manage my type 1 diabetes and it's been quite the progress. I've only had my Versa for exactly one week today, but It's already helped me become more active than I have ever been before. Today also marks my 46th day on my healthy eating and working out streak. I didn't read everyone's post, but if there are any other diabetics, add me! Or if anyone else has room for another friend, give me an add! Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer

I am sorry to hear that. Keep up the healthy eating and workouts. 

Best Answer

I suffer from atopy (the chronic exposure to heavy pollutants) which has caused asthma. 

after suffering a major attack I decided it was time to get my life back in order. so I got a fitbit blaze, 

at first i was pretty skeptical about the notion, but after getting the lighthouse achievement and overachiever on my first day I thought to myself "WOW I can really do all of this"  I've been out hiking, and eating well!, I'm been tracking my food, I actually eat really good now!. 

I feel good. with blaze cheering me on while I reach my goals hiking has become like a video game for me!   I cant ask for a better device. i do wish there was an asthma tracker to help me determine ahead of time when I will have an episode. but I really enjoy how this is changing my life. 

Best Answer

Hi i am on my computer and i havent seen this as an option on my phone before so please friend me so i don't lose you..... i have fibromyalgia and severe arthriits *they thoiught it was psoriatic arthritis ...and now aren't so sure.... anyway i have also neck and lumbar fusion.... please friend me ... i have a couple of friends on here who are struggling with chronic pain and illness too. i wish there was a goup for chronic pain and or ilness.. sorry my typing is so bad....the arthritis.....

just got a FitBit Ionic today for my anniversary ......I am confused....but I think I like it......

Best Answer
I’m not sure I can be of any help because I don’t have chronic pain issues. I have a lung disease and I use my FitBit to help me with exercise and diet only. I wish you well but I don’t feel I can offer any advice to help you. My only advice would be for you to pray for God’s help in your situation. The Lord is my helper and sustainer each and every day of my life. I encourage you to seek Him.

May you be blessed.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
Thank you anyway. Good luck!
Best Answer

You're doing great, keep on moving and doing any little bit of exercise to the pain because that's the best drug for pain relieve

Best Answer