Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calories Burned Messed Up?

Could someone please explain why the calories count doesn't seem right?  One day I walked 6,385 steps, 2.58 miles, no active minutes, 10 floors.  Calories burned 2,086.  Next day I walked 8,509 steps, 3.44 miles, 1 active minute, 18 floors.  Calories burned 1,860.  So, doing less burns more calories?  Doesn't make sense.

Best Answer
73 REPLIES 73
Thanks, everyone! It's fine now.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello 🙂

Todya is the first time wearing my FitBit flex.  Before even putting it on my arm this morning, it already showed calories burned.  As of now it shows 800 calories and I have only been wearing it for about an hour.  I am so confused and dont believe tis is accurate at all.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ItsMomo A warm welcome to the Fitbit Family! It's fine that you're seeing calories burned in your tracker even though you just starting wearing it, you can learn more about it by checking How does Fitbit know how many calories I've burned? 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for the reply.. I've been wearing my Fitbit for a year and half, so not new to the community.  Just a devoted user and it is a wonderful device.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been having this same problem.  However when i log into my dashboard, go to settings, and then preferences, i only see the options for Food Database and Friend Rankings.  There is no calorie estimation listed.  Where else is this located so that i can make sure it's turned off?

Best Answer
0 Votes

to clarify, i am not showing any difference in my calorie burn on the days i do intense crossfit activities for 2 hours versus the following day when i am taking the day off, but just walking the dogs about 3-4 miles a day (which i also do on the crossfit days)  I'm trying to get a true estimate of how many calories that i'm burning doing crossfit, but the total number is about the same on all days.  Also the active minutes seem to be grossly underepresented.  I'm not sure what the problem is, but i want to turn the calorie estimation off to see if that helps but i cant find it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@lewisgl1 wrote:

to clarify, i am not showing any difference in my calorie burn on the days i do intense crossfit activities for 2 hours versus the following day when i am taking the day off, but just walking the dogs about 3-4 miles a day (which i also do on the crossfit days)  I'm trying to get a true estimate of how many calories that i'm burning doing crossfit, but the total number is about the same on all days.  Also the active minutes seem to be grossly underepresented.  I'm not sure what the problem is, but i want to turn the calorie estimation off to see if that helps but i cant find it.

Hi @lewisgl1 which kind of Fitbit do you have (I have several)? And are you logging your Crossfit activity?

The answer may vary by your device. I have been using a Fitbit for years and have used a few different types. Most Fitbit devices don't really do well with resistance activities and those that do not involve step like motions. They do fine with activities involving walking, running, skipping, jumping, some types of dance, etc. Not so well with lifting weights, cardio machines with high resistance settings, calishthenics where you are not traveling (i.e. pullups and pushups), etc. I typically need to log those. The heart rate monitoring Fitbit devices do a better job with those activities, but not always.

Sam | USA

Fitbit One, Macintosh, IOS

Accepting solutions is your way of passing your solution onto others and improving everybody’s Fitbit experience.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have the charge HR. So far I have not been logging my exercises.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same problem. Although I cannot seem to find the "preferences" area in the settings to let me disable calorie estimation. 

Best Answer

I have the SAME issue and no where do I have a "preferences" link and no where is there anything that reads "calorie estimation."  Not a happy camper!

Best Answer

my dashboard doesn't show preferences nor calorie estimation as options; however, when I log my workouts it seems like they don't get added to the total and on days where I don't workout at all, I burn more calories which doesn't make sense. 

Best Answer

When I go to the setting, there is no "preference" when I scroll down. Did the setting change?

Best Answer

can I have an updated version of what you said for the Fitbit versa 2

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi I have my fitbit versa 2 for almost 2 months! It was calculating the calories right during my workouts average from 300 calories till 600 calories during 1 hour of workingout  until the beginning of this week, it's underestimating the number of calories burned during my workouts which is the same duration with the same insanity 90-110 calories during 1 hour of workingout! I t logged in the dashboard, clicked the gear bottom but I couldn't find the preference to change the estimated calories to disable!  Any help? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same observation

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hello I’m sorry I do not have any answers and I think I have different
problems because at the end of each day my calories are over estimated and
are like in the 3000s to 4000s even though I did no exercise for that day.
Anyway sorry I couldn’t help.
Best Answer
0 Votes

You mentioned to change calories estimates to off.. if calories aren't tracking accurately . Please tell me what this does and where to change this.. Because there isn't a gear on my app dash board and nowhere is this found in any of my settings.

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

Couldnt find it to disable. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello,I tried to disable it the way you said but my problem is that I don't like how it's set up in general,I would like it to be more like on MyFitnessPal,where it only shows calories burned from what you do all day (working out or even just cleaning and cooking).

Right now it's showing me every day I burned more then 1000 calories.

I can see the math behind this but I don't like it,like I said I would prefer it to be measured on when I'm active.

Is there a way to change that setting?

Best Answer

Hello, does this also work on the Vera 2? 

Please help, i have tried but Preferences is not an option on my profile, when i log into my dashboard and go to settings 

Best Answer
0 Votes