Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery drain/Notifications - Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 09/3/2017

Our team is still actively investigating the root cause of this battery drain with Blaze and the Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+. I'm sorry that many of you are still having issues with a shorter battery life, but rest assured this is being looked at as high-priority for our team. My apologies for the inconvenience, and thank you all for your patience! I will provide an update as soon as there is more information available. In the meantime, please continue manually syncing your Blaze trackers only when needed. This will help preserve the battery-life.

Fitbit Update: 08/14/2017

Hi everybody!

Thanks for reporting your experiences with a rapid battery drain on Blaze trackers and your Android device - Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+. Our team is aware this is affecting Blaze users and they are investigating the root cause. I will update this thread when there is more information available. 

As a temporary workaround, turn OFF "Always Connected" and the "All-Day sync" features. Make sure to manually sync your devices at least once a day.

Thanks for your patience! 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
743 REPLIES 743

I don't use Smart Lock, it popped up bc the BT sync as a device by itself randomly which alerted me that something changed. Notifications via text work flawlessly, I don't use GPS bc I work out at a gym. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
They deserve a little patience ? You do realize this has been going on
since July? And it isn't just a S/8 problem.u have a S/7 I actually had
the heart rate sensors burning my wrist on top of the short battery life
of 2-3 hours, not syncing and not getting notifications. So far there
solution has been to ignore it, send you a replacement Blaze that will
have all the same problems or 50% of a new product except it the new
Ionic. So I an soon but I think that is a big problem, a little patience
expired months ago!
Best Answer
0 Votes

My issue wasn't with my blaze battery draining,but my phone battery draining. I only made a suggestion  to try to help.

I also don't use smart lock and from what I have read it seems to be a Bluetooth issue. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

...  Then don't use it lol. That's again an android thing not a Fitbit or even Samsung thing! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes I do realise this has been going on since July but it takes time for them to identify/confirm there is a problem (and most likely 90% of the things that get reported are not fit bit problems but mostly user issues so it takes a while sorting the wheat from the chaff) and then even if they work out whats wrong and produce a fix it takes time to go through quality control etc. They're a massive company with product sales in the millions. You have no idea how much red tape they probably have to go through to get a new firmware version out,  it doesn't just happen overnight. You have to be realistic honestly. I know it's frustrating but consider how many people and departments this has to go through before the fix is on your wrist! You can sort the problem out in the mean time by turning off all day sync. I've done it. I've got an S8 and a blaze. And yes I prefer having it on. But now it lasts a few days I've got no problems. So it really isn't the end of the world. Getting stressed over it isn't worth it and will just cause you problems. Chill out a little. Smell the roses. Life is too short. If you are really thoroughly disappointed then go by a Garmin,  Tom Tom,  Withings (Nokia), Moov or anything else and then when you come across another problem that isn't solved over night maybe accept that this one wasn't that important,  lol... 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes I do realise this has been going on since July but it takes time for them to identify/confirm there is a problem (and most likely 90% of the things that get reported are not fit bit problems but mostly user issues so it takes a while sorting the wheat from the chaff) and then even if they work out whats wrong and produce a fix it takes time to go through quality control etc. They're a massive company with product sales in the millions. You have no idea how much red tape they probably have to go through to get a new firmware version out,  it doesn't just happen overnight. You have to be realistic honestly. I know it's frustrating but consider how many people and departments this has to go through before the fix is on your wrist! You can sort the problem out in the mean time by turning off all day sync. I've done it. I've got an S8 and a blaze. And yes I prefer having it on. But now it lasts a few days I've got no problems. So it really isn't the end of the world. Getting stressed over it isn't worth it and will just cause you problems. Chill out a little. Smell the roses. Life is too short. If you are really thoroughly disappointed then go by a Garmin,  Tom Tom,  Withings (Nokia), Moov or anything else and then when you come across another problem that isn't solved over night maybe accept that this one wasn't that important,  lol... 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Bik3rjon wrote:

@Bik3rjon Woow, to much text for me to read, a least when there are no tips or tricks to get around the problem. If you also read other post in this thread you will find out that this is not only a problem for Samsung Galaxy S8, other Androids and even iPhone has this problem.

And, No. Not from july! From april if you look at first post (thread starter). But it took to july befor Fitbit started to notice the problem. 

Best Answer

No one expects an overnight fix. BTW issue was first raised March/April!

This type of problem re hardware/sofware compatibility is common but the main issues relate to the way its been handled by Fitbit.

1. Whilst the issue with S8/S8+ was acknowledged on this thread by Fitbit the support team continued to be in denial.

2. The S8/S8+ was only added to the Fitbit list of compatible devices around July by which time Fitbit were well aware of the ongoing issues.

So yes, I accept this may take time, however Fitbit have scored an own goal PR wise so don't insult people with the "chill" and "smell the coffee" guff.

Best Answer

@Bik3rjon wrote:

I think someone wanting the features to work as advertised is not a crazy idea.  Sell me notifications, give me notifications.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've found the perfect fix! I gave away my Blaze and went back to my Samsung Gear (1st generation) and everything works as it should. It's a shame I had to leave the Fitbit community but I do what I have to do to satisfy MY needs. Fitbit, you're ruining your reputation by stringing our the Bluetooth 5 issue.to date I've prevented 37 people from buying your products. By the way, anyone want a Fitbit scale?

Best Answer

I'm done with my Blaze. I tried to wait it out hoping for a fix to these problems. I give up. I've just ordered a Samsung Gear Fit 2 Pro. 

Best Answer

Screenshot_20170914-095224.png

Another app update... Wonder if it'll help anything.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Since evidence seems to suggest at using Smart Lock (Android feature) is the way to correct the defect in the Fitbit. Resulting in Fitbit forcing usage of Smart Lock to correct a defect they refuse to officially acknowledge. So yes it is a Fitbit issue. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

No, you do not need to use Smart Lock. My FitBit Bluetooth somehow randomly started working and triggered the option to use it. 

Notifications work flawlessly. Took my Blaze off the charger around 12am and it's now 830am and I have a full battery. It looks like it's back to normal. I did nothing to fix it like others have said. 

My FW is 17.8.401.3. I also did the app update on Monday or Tuesday. 

Best Answer
Where do you get 90% are not fitbit problems? Did you pick that figure out
of the air.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had no dramas with notifications at all. what I found is the device doesn't like being rushed. whilst messing around looking at the power drain drama I impaired my fitbit. when I tried to add it back in I had a nightmare or was syncing and not getting notifications etc so what I did was leave it for an hour with always connected and all day sync turned on. eventually the fitbit paired itself with my phone and notifications have been flawless since. I've now turned always connected off and still have flawless notifications. The power drain has been reduced slightly but the broken Bluetooth audio has gone completely. 

I just charge my watch overnight every other night and it's doing fine. not worth getting my knickers in a bunch over. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Fortunately for fitbit I don't happen to have $200 lying around to spend on
a competitor's product, so I sit and wait and charge my Blaze every
morning. But yeah, I couldn't let a friend buy one right now.
Best Answer
0 Votes

OMG you're so right.  Never seen so many whiners.  Geez!  Samsung smart watches and Apple watches have to be charged Daily (and many times don't even last a full day)  Yes, it's annoying that I have to charge at least every two days vs the week plus that I used to but it could be worse.  I like my fitbit and I enjoy doing challenges with friends.  That's the motivation.  Isn't this about getting Fit?  For the most part my notifications sync up to my phone regularly so the only annoyance is the battery life.  And that's NOT too bad.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@jessebearbctx wrote:

OMG you're so right.  Never seen so many whiners.  Geez!  Samsung smart watches and Apple watches have to be charged Daily (and many times don't even last a full day)  Yes, it's annoying that I have to charge at least every two days vs the week plus that I used to but it could be worse.  I like my fitbit and I enjoy doing challenges with friends.  That's the motivation.  Isn't this about getting Fit?  For the most part my notifications sync up to my phone regularly so the only annoyance is the battery life.  And that's NOT too bad.  

But dude, I specifically bought the Blaze over those other devices because you didn't need to charge it every day and that what it was advertised to do. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It is now 230pm. 6hrs since I last posted and my battery is still 100% with All Day and Always Connected enabled. Tons of texts coming through.

I really wish I had an answer for what fixed it but I don't. I'm happy it's back to normal but I know what you guys are feeling bc I've been feeling it too

Best Answer
0 Votes