Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blaze stops tracking in exercise mode

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Using 'Run...', start with connected GPS with my Samsung Galaxy 4, midway through the run it stops tracking. When I finish my run, on my fitbit dashboard, I see the map is there, but it's incomplete. Did the Bluetooth get disconnected midway? How do I fix that? It's happened twice on long runs (over 30 minutes).

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I've merged another mention of this post into this thread, for organizational purposes. 

I'd recommend keeping an eye on both your app as well as your device he next time you run a Connected GPS exercises. 

• If the issue lies within the device, then the activity you're recording won't provide you with data past the point of failure for said activity. 

I've seen instances of GPS connection going out, and it's much like the image posted above- you'll see a partial graph and the correct estimated distance. I'd also mention that it's worth checking in with our Customer Support team to see if they have a second opinion- they'll be able to look at the inner workings of your tracker. 

Community Moderator - English/EspañolEmerson | Community Moderator - English/Español

I run all over SF. What's your story?

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
39 REPLIES 39
I just did my first run with the Fitbit and about halfway through it stopped tracking. I didn't know that until i went to stop the work out. When I went to stop the workout it still said it was going. I don't think I hit any of the buttons. What could have caused it to stop tracking?
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey @PKB76140, my phone (same model) is doing the same thing too! Does yours look something like this where it tells you the final distance, time and everything but the map stops like halfway? blazemap.PNG

Best Answer
0 Votes

@PKB76140 That's a bummer, sorry to hear that. If the entire activity is being tracked on the watch, then I imagine the GPS on-device could be the culprit here. 

I'd recommend leaving the app open, running in either the foreground or the background (or the Android equivalent of those terms) while in exercise mode; I made the mistake of quitting the app a few time mid-activity, leaving me without a map. 

Community Moderator - English/EspañolEmerson | Community Moderator - English/Español

Best Answer

My GPS on device (Samsung Galaxy 4) is not the culprit. I use Mapmyrun on my phone and it shows me the entire map, time, pace, etc. So, first, the app is open on the device, and second, the device captures everything. Blaze on the other hand captures only part of the exercise. The map stops midway, the timer keeps running, the distance keeps 'running' but becomes inaccurate. It looks like the 'connected GPS' becomes disconnected, and Blaze tries to calculate the remainder of the run using steps.

Best Answer

Exactly the same problem - map stops midway, other stuff keeps running.

Best Answer

I've merged another mention of this post into this thread, for organizational purposes. 

I'd recommend keeping an eye on both your app as well as your device he next time you run a Connected GPS exercises. 

• If the issue lies within the device, then the activity you're recording won't provide you with data past the point of failure for said activity. 

I've seen instances of GPS connection going out, and it's much like the image posted above- you'll see a partial graph and the correct estimated distance. I'd also mention that it's worth checking in with our Customer Support team to see if they have a second opinion- they'll be able to look at the inner workings of your tracker. 

Best Answer

@PKB76140 wrote:

... It looks like the 'connected GPS' becomes disconnected, and Blaze tries to calculate the remainder of the run using steps.

Hi @PKB76140 --  that is my guess too.  This has happened once with my Blaze and iPhone 6 combination (notice no mile marker because the track shown is less than one mile).  IMG_0823.jpg

I also agree with @EmersonFitbit  to make sure your app remains open and running in the background for the entire execise and that if this continues it might be something to share with Customer Support so that they can look at the inner workings of your tracker.  There also may be a need to update the Blaze or app code so that (when) GPS or bluetooth is lost, that the GPS track picks back up once the connection is reestablished.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
I alao would check that the Blaze is still in recording mode, and that it has not paused
Best Answer
0 Votes

On my last two hikes/runs the connected GPS has now started to track Mapmyrun (my other GPS map) on my Samsung Galaxy S4. I had tried different suggestions from the community posts, and none of them worked. So why is it working now and not before? Looks like my Android app on the phone got an update (version 3.9), and it asked me to restart my phone. Since then the connected GPS on the Blaze seems to behave better.

Anyone else see the same behavior?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I went for a 10km cycle yesterday. It tracked up to 7.7km (I could see this through Strava, as I have the accounts linked) until my bluetooth disconnected (i understand this is my fault). However within the FitBit dashboard it's only showing 5k fpr the workout, and on the fitbit itself, it was only showing 3.7km when i hit the "Goal" button through the exercise app.

Is this a known issue? Thanks

Best Answer
Mine stopped today and it seemed to coincide with a Facebook message coming in although I can't say for sure this was the reason
Best Answer

Hi there @FredFornicola. Good to see you in the Community! 🙂

I don't really think it has to do with the Facebook message that you received. Has this ever happened before? I can recommend restarting your tracker by pressing and holding the left and lower right buttons of your tracker for about 10-12 seconds. After that, try it out and see if this happens again.

Let me know if you need more help!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi I have been having same issue when you start exercise, bluetooth working and then it just looses the bluetooth connection its just darn painful.   Has anyone found a solution to this issue

Best Answer
0 Votes

My guess is that it's the same thing thats happening to me.  Its cold here and I'm now wearing long sleeves and jackets when I run/bike.  when my arms get sweaty and the sleeves touch it eventually hits pause on the touchscreen.  Fitbit needs to turn off the touchscreen during workouts...

Best Answer

On my android phone I had a lot of GPS problems until I upgraded to the lattes app. I also find if I have too many background apps open, gps gets lost.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi
No mine is definitely a connectivity issue as its still recording time etc but looses connection with the GPS on my phone.   It starts but after a few minutes I get a red symbol saying its lost my mobile, really really frustrating. Cheers!Leanne
Best Answer

Hey there @Banksie @reckhard

To add to what @Rich_Laue said, it's also known that in areas with very low reception can cause activities tracked with GPS to get interrupted. This can be due to areas with many trees or very tall buildings around just for you to keep in mind.

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had the same issue but I'm "workout" mode. I have been in a middle of a workout checked my progress and found it had stop tracking and is showing my totals. Any thoughts???

Best Answer

What I've been doing that seems to work when I'm using GPS tracking is to shut off WiFi before I start. I restart the Blaze and it syncs up fine with my phone and I don't have any drop-off. I don't know what WiFi has to do with anything but this is just something I stumbled upon with trial and error.

Best Answer