Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calories error?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
Hi
When I take my Fitbit off and set it down and go about my business, the calories burned still continues to increase in number?
Similarly I take it off at night, in the morning everything is at zero to start a new day apart from the calories? This morning it showed 591 calories burned? I was nowhere near it! This is then giving me totally false readings for calories burned in a day. Can anyone help?
Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

It is normal. Your body is still burning calories when you are asleep. The watch takes in consideration your body weight, age, height and compute on how many calories you burn just by breathing. It is called BMR.

Best Answer

Hey @Cherrysoda welcome to the Fitbit Community! as @pierrotsc mentioned your basal metabolic rate (BMR) is the rate at which you burn calories at rest just to maintain vital body functions like breathing, heartbeat, and brain activity. Your BMR usually accounts for at least half of the calories you burn in a day and is estimated based on the physical data you entered when you set up your account: gender, age, height, and weight. BMR is the reason your tracker starts the day with calories already burned—you've still burned calories even if you haven't gotten out of bed yet and it will continue the calorie burn even if you are not wearing your tracker. 

Hope this helps! 🙂 

Retired ModeratorAngela | Community Moderator

It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of silver and gold! Share your story!

Best Answer
0 Votes
The average caloric burn per day for males is approximately 2500. I'm on the couch all day due to injury but shows I've burned 4359... This I consider inaccurate. Not only that but this past Saturday I had my Fitbit off my wrist and in the am it showed I had burned over 4000 calories!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Forums @Jhulsey! The calorie burn estimate that Fitbit provides takes into account your BMR, the activity recorded by your tracker, and any activities you log manually.  Your basal metabolic rate (BMR) is the rate at which you burn calories at rest just to maintain vital body functions like breathing, heartbeat, and brain activity. The BMR is estimated based on the physical data you entered when you set up your account: gender, age, height, and weight.  Please make sure the information on your profile is correct since any change on the settings can affect the caloric burn you see on your account.  Also I would like to ask if you manually add any activity? Since manually adding activities can increase the calorie burn for the day. 

Let me know if this helps! 😉 

Retired ModeratorAngela | Community Moderator

It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of silver and gold! Share your story!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm concerned about error in calories burned now also because I shut down my watch and took it off last night and when I turned it back on it said I burned 439 calories! When I workout it says I barely burned any calories but by the end of the day it is close to or I ever 2000 calories burned

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's great to have you here @SunsetRunner! As mentioned before in this post, each morning you'll see an amount of calories burned because it's your BMR. However, it should change during the day based in the activities that you're doing. 

Additionally, I would like you to make sure that all your personal information is properly entered in your Dashboard.

Hope this helps. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks!

Ana Martinez-Smith
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes