Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected GPS Information Post

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hey all!

I've been seeing a ton of great conversation about Connected GPS- the technology that will Screenshot 2016-02-18 14.53.25.pngallow you to see your maps, as well as pace/distance using your phone's GPS. Ahead of launch of the device, I'd like to provide a bit more information about Connected GPS in comparison to our built-in GPS technology (found in Surge) or our existing GPS functionality in relation to other devices! The following is an in-depth look at Connected GPS, and and opening of the floor for questions!  Are you ready? Let's do it!

• What is Connected GPS? 

Connected GPS is a new part of the Fitbit ecosystem! Using Connected GPS, Blaze connects with your phone's native GPS capabilities to plot routes and activity stats screen as the pace and duration.

• How do I use Connected GPS?

The necessary components for initiating a Connected GPS exercise are: 

1. Your charged tracker
  2. Your compatible Mobile device with GPS capabilities
  3. The Fitbit App

To initiate a Connected GPS exercise, open the appropriate exercise (exercises that offer GPS connectivity on the Blaze will have a gear icon on the tile). Once you select the exercise type, you'll see that your Blaze will begin to look for your phone's GPS services. Once the device establishes a connection, you'll be notified that you're ready to go. You can always bypass the connection if you'd like, much like on Surge. 

• How is this different than Surge? MobileRun?

GPS is built-in on the Fitbit Surge, meaning that you could initiate a GPS activity without your phone in proximity. The MobileRun process works a bit differently; you'll have to open the Fitbit app and select Track Exercise > Stopwatch Icon > Start. 

• What errors might I run into? 

Phone Not FoundUsers may see the following error state if their tracker is unable to connect to their phone. If this happens, please ensure the following: phone is within range, your app is open, phone is charged up, Bluetooth enabled and bonded, and Internet connection is present.

Check Fitbit App: If you come across this error, there may be a bit of action required. Please ensure that your app is open, you are logged into your account, and that location services are enabled.

• Location Services and Permissions

Location services are required for Connected GPS to function properly. Please ensure that location services are enables, and set to "Always" if applicable. 

Permissions are requested upon setup of the tracker. Users who intend to use the Connected GPS feature should accept the permission requests. If you switch phones during the life of your Blaze, you'll be prompted to run through all of these permission requests again before being able to successfully use Connected GPS.

Community Moderator - English/EspañolEmerson | Community Moderator - English/Español

I run all over SF. What's your story?

Best Answer
428 REPLIES 428

@Rich_Laue wrote:

@advoWade you sound like your not familiar with all the Operating systems out there and failed to read my signature or you would know that for the last 15 years I have not had a computer in my house that is running Windows or Mac.. I have 1 raspberry pie running Linux and my Fitbits, all 6 sync nicely through this, 1 laptop and two desktops all running Linux. 

Personally I find windows terribly annoying to run and Mac entirely to exoensive, and as I said the problem with the MS band is the MS part.. 

As for connected gps it is exactly what the first apple watch uses, since it too does not have built in gps. 

Why hang around here if you detest Fitbit so much. 

You're right, I didn't take time to look at your signature. My bad. I'm glad Linux works for you.

So you have no usage of the Band 2 upon which to base your opinion. You're simply disregarding it because it's a MS product.

I never said I detest Fibit. I actually like the design of the Surge and Blaze. I came to the forums to research them more. If either one did everything my Band 2 does, I would consider purchasing one. But my research helped me determine that my needs, at this time, cannot be meet by any Fitbit. Other users have opinions on other trackers, so I enjoy seeing others comments and whether or not another device will come up to speed compared to the Band 2. But this thread has run sideways. Maybe someone can post some useful information and help return this thread back to its original content.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@advoWade wrote:

So you have no usage of the Band 2 upon which to base your opinion. You're simply disregarding it because it's a MS product.

But this thread has run sideways. Maybe someone can post some useful information and help return this thread back to its original content.

@advoWade Its a pattern - a disregard for pretty much anything thats not Fitbit or Android. Sigh.

Back on subject. On a related note, Fitbit has admitted to TheVerge that Charge 2 has problems with Connected GPS.

"Eventually, the company said they've identified a bug in the software on Charge 2 that causes inaccurate distance estimates when using Connected GPS to track the Walk and Hike activities. With regards to some of the other discrepancies, Fitbit says the company is continuing to investigate it."

This has been reported on this forum since the April firmware update, including posts with technical details indicating the phone GPS is fine but Blaze is wrong. Two examples:
Android: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Blaze/Connected-GPS-vs-Fitbit-app-GPS-accuracy/m-p/1425834
iPhone: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Blaze/GPS-tracked-distance-is-is-40-60-wrong/m-p/1496733

To summarize, Blaze gets distance wrong, but running Fitbit's MobileRun (or similar app) at the same time results in correct distance. Some folks exported activity to another service, like Strava, and see the correct distance.

Three take-aways:
- it doesn't always happen and Blaze has good map and distance
- somtimes the map is fine, Blaze reports wrong distance, and other services (e.g. Strava) report the correct distance
- sometimes GPS is wildly off

@EmersonFitbit can you confirm that Fitbit is aware of the problem and investigating with an intent to resolve?

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes
I am using connected GPS but the distance and speed are vastly different to the other running apps I have (Nike and Mapmyrun). In fact 20% difference. It tells me that it is connected when I activate run in the exercise screen but how do I know whether it is accurate?
Best Answer
0 Votes
How do you know that Nike and MapMyRun are accurate? I use Garmin Fenix 3 along side my Fitbit and MapMyRun. They all have a margin of error. I go and look at the track online and each has a different track line.
All the items out today are for our personal use and advancement so use them accordingly. Remember, Fitbit and MapMyRun use your phone's GPS so it can also be thought that your phone is to be brought into the mix for accuracy.
I wish there were a better answer or explanation.

Sent from my iPhone

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
The contents of this email message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information and may be legally protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message or their agent, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply email and then delete this message and any attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying, or storage of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited.
Best Answer

I know they are accurate as they are the same, and I have measured them running on a set course with distance markers measured out. Unsure why you would post something that isnt helpful.

Best Answer

If for the same distance (let's say a walk which normally gets measured at 2 KMs with the phone GPS) the device measures from 1.98 to 2.02, I would call that a margin of error!

Fitbit devices with connected GPS (i.e. the blaze) or other GPS (the surge) always gave me a much much wider deviation! Since I ditched the Fitbits (in June this year after using them for 9 months) and moved to Garmin Vivoactive HR, I get a consistent distance, no matter what GPS activity I select), and the step count when I use GPS are the exact number of steps I took (believe me I measured it a few times!).  And everything worked from day 1, wthout having to wait for new releases and having bugs discussed and voted for popularity as if they are features! Something that cannot be said for any of the 3 Fitbit devices (Surge, Charge HR, Blaze) I used so far.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Hutzi Only works if you leave "always sync on"

Best Answer
0 Votes
If it’s not helpful to YOU, then delete the message !!! SOMEONE else might find it helpful. It’s not all about YOU !!

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
The contents of this email message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information and may be legally protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message or their agent, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply email and then delete this message and any attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying, or storage of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@guardolima wrote:

@Hutzi Only works if you leave "always sync on"

@guardolima it's the "Always connected" that helps for some, and not mess asset for others. 

All day sync just sets up a time schedule for the app to initiate a sync. It has no impact on the Blaze, only well affect how update the Fitbit data is that is on the server. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am sure you are not saying that if we disagree with something we should not respond, instead we should ignore the message to which we disagree and not voice an opinion. 

Having said that, I am not sure what you are saying, and to whom the comment is addressed.  Please clarify!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Connected GPS doesn't work well. I always have to start the app before because it can't find the phone. I have to leave the app oben because it stops working. Yesterday the last 500m were without GPS. Lost connection to the phone. In between I have to reboot my phone very often because the GPS cannot be switched on. And sometimes the app crashes.
Best Answer
0 Votes

My current message is directed to the negative people that ALWAYS have something bad to say on here. I am ALWAYS open to "DISCUSSION", but just because MY input might be incorrect, doesn't make it WRONG. MY opinion or insight is just that....MINE. There are a few people that find fault in everything that is said or done. MY simple solution to MY posts is to simply move on.........as I do when I find a post that is incorrect or negative. This is a (HELP) forum.........NOT a slander forum. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@The_Lion under the Blaze notifacation settings, do you have the Notification Widget enabled? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

In general i like the blaze but if there is one feature which is miles off it is this one. I always run the same route but the distance varies about 10%, and there is 30% difference with the endomondo app (which has a variation of about 3%), and is spot on wrt distance. The map it shows is sometimes completely off, whereas endomondo always shows a correct map. The good news is that it gives me incredible times but seriously i don't care if it uses a build in gps or an external gps,as i always have my phone with me, but i would at least expect that it is more accurate as it is now. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

No, the Notification Widget is not enabled. Is that neccessary to keep the connection during my run for not losing GPS?

Best Answer
0 Votes
I do this, it finds phone, then switches to red icon partway through walk., saying no GPS. Phone in pocket, I am outside. Had for 6 months before this started happening
Best Answer
0 Votes

I simply do not understand Connected GPS and, at this point, am not sure it actually exists.

From all Fitbit's advertising and all I've read online and in the Fitbit community, it seems pretty simple. With the Fitbit app open in the background, you simply swipe your Charge 2 or Blaze (I've gone through two Charge 2's and am about to return my first Blaze because of this) to the Exercise screen, tap to Run or Walk, tap again and wait for the Fitbit to connect to your iPhone, and, finally, tap to start the workout. For me, however, that's where Connected GPS as well as Stride Length and, for that matter, all things Fitbit stop making sense.

Again, from what I've read and what the name implies, at this point, my Fitbit is "Connected" to my iPhone's "GPS". I thought this meant, quite simply, that the Fitbit would now use GPS, rather than steps and stride length, to display distance, pace, etc. just like the Fitbit app does when you tap on the Stopwatch icon on the Daily Exercise page. I bought the first Charge 2 thinking it would be just like it had its own internal GPS. Better yet, Fitbit could then use that data to fine tune my stride length.  Unfortunately, none of this actually works.

From the start, none of my Connected GPS devices had ever tracked distance accurately. I know this because I have two courses, one exactly 3 miles and another exactly 5 miles, that I've measured with both Fitbit and Strava's GPS modes, as well as Strava's route planner. Never did the Connected GPS mode in the either the Charge 2 or the Blaze come close.  For the 3 mile course, I get 2.2 miles in Connected GPS mode and for the 5 mile course, I 3.5 miles. Today I even used the Strava app at the same time to compare. Please see the attached screen shots. This happens every time. 

What seems to be happening is, rather than the Fitbit using the iPhone's GPS to display more accurate realtime workout data, the Fitbit is using some strange mix of incorrect stride lengths, step counts, and GPS to produce data that is consistently at least 20% less than true GPS and which seems to get more inaccurate the faster your pace. In addition to this, the app will not let you input your stride length manually then turn on Set Automatically to fine tune it. Rather, as soon as I select Set Automatically, it forces me to use the same inaccurate stride lengths that it then seems to use instead of GPS. It just make no sense at all. 

For example, I ran some numbers using the results from my Blaze after this morning's walk around my (exactly) 3 mile course.   It said that I took 3144 steps to walk (inaccurately) 2.2 miles. Doing the math with these steps and distance numbers resulted in a stride length of 44 inches. However, before starting my walk, I'd manually set my walking stride length to my actual walking stride length of approximately 36 inches.  However, had it actually used that 36 inch stride length, with 3144 steps, the distance should have only read 1.7 miles. So, it seems like Connected GPS ignores both GPS and stride length!  What's even more confusing is that, when I finished my walk, I went into Stride Length and turned Set Automatically back on, at which time the app changed my walking stride length back to 29.9 inches, which seems to be the only stride length it allows when in Set Automatically mode. If it actually used this stride length, at 3144 steps, I would have actually travelled just 1.5 miles. But I know it doesn't because I've gone on the same walk in Set Automatically mode with its 29.9 in stride length and the Fitbit still showed the same inaccurate distance of 2.2 miles. Again, none of this makes any sense.

What's worse is that not one single customer service rep I've spoken with at Fitbit has been able to explain any of this or how Connected GPS works or how to fix my problem. What I'm starting to wonder is if such a person exists and if Connected GPS is just a marketing gimmick because that's the only thing that comes close to explaining all the above inaccuracies and the fact that I've had the same problem with two Charge 2's and a Blaze.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@twhh while Fitbit says that in the Run mode, on the Blaze I think also the Charge2., the stride will be calibrated with the GPS, it has only been recently that durring a walk I find evidence that looks like the GPS is used for determining distance.

Maybe @EmersonFitbit can give some insight here, is GPS used to determine distance during a walk or is it only for the map. 

As for fitbit and stride, I walked a route with a known distance, five times on five consecutive days. I then added up the total distance and steps taken durring these walks. Now I did the math on this sum, the answer gives me my average stride over these 5 walks. I now find my distance reported, with or without GOD acceptible, even when my stride varies. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Let me start by saying this response is My opinion and my opinion only. There are many out there/here, but this is mine. I have to state this for the fact that there are people that find it necessary to not only disagree, which is perfectly fine, but interject a bunch of unnecessary, childish negativity in with there comments.
Now, on to the important stuff…..
Connected GPS does exist and quite simple once it is understood. The Surge works off of a built in GPS which uses satellites to show where you ran or walked. And its fairly accurate. As you can tell, the built-in GPS makes the watch/tracker quite large. I have one and love it, but the next problem is why I move to (Connected GPS) trackers. Battery life is destroyed ! Using the GPS on the Surge will use the battery up in hours, not days. The new Blaze, connects to your phone, which uses cell towers and wifi connections in conjunction with GPS to locate YOU. Its a lot deeper, but thats the bottom line.
Don’t give up hope. In the beginning, I was so frustrated with the steps that have to be taken to get the GPS to track, I was ready to toss my Blaze in the lake. Open the Fitbit app. THIS is the step that always throws me off. The app has to be open initially to get the Blaze to connect. Everything else can be done from the Blaze itself. Once the Blaze connects one time (for the present exercise/tracking session), the phone can go into sleep mode or whatever it wants. Hope I answered your question. If not, please write back. We CAN figure it out. Modern technology isn’t that modern.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
Best Answer
0 Votes
@twhh, I have a iPhone 6 Plus that I use with my blaze. With the iPhone you can make a manual adjustment for your stride. Login to your Fitbit app from your phone and go to your account tab. Go to advance settings and click on stride length. Turn off set automatically. Click on walking and you can manually enter your stride length. You can also set your running stride. Just make sure to leave set automatically turned off. If you turn it back on your stride setting go back to Fitbit default setting. I don't have any experience with the android phones, so I don't know if the app is the same as using the iPhone. Your right about the gps. It's taken me a month to get my stride and distance set. The phone provides the map and the tracker provides the distance. I'm not sure how they sync the two. So if you don't have your stride set you'll never get the correct distance. Good luck.
Best Answer
0 Votes