Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected GPS?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I see that GPS is not included in the new Blaze but that it can have have "Connected GPS" in conjunction with the FitBit App.  Could someone please describe this process and how it impacts the recorded data?  I currently have a Charge HR and if I active the GPS tracker on the App, none of the steps that I take during that exercise count in my challenges as they could be "erroneous data."  As much as I'm interested in a Blaze, the ability to GPS track my runs will make or break my purchase decision.  (If my tracked runs don't count in challenges, then the data is inaccurate and unacceptable.)

Best Answer
86 REPLIES 86

@dpeete For a couple reasons:

• You don't have to have a FitStar membership to use the three pre-loaded activities, where to use the FitStar app you would need to have a paid account.
  • Fitbit has said that everything on the Blaze, except Call/Text/Calendar notifications and Connected GPS, will work with Windows Phones. FitStar doesn't support Windows Phones.
  • Also, they never said anything about videos on the Blaze.
  • I have seen no mention of a compatible SmartPhone being required for the FitStar feature.

And I'm not sure about FitStar which is why I specifically asked Fitbit to confirm how it will work.

As far as connected GPS, seeing it on your wrist isn't the only difference. With Connected GPS you can start tracking a Bike ride on the Blaze complete with GPS tracking. You can't track a bike ride with GPS via the Charge HR, even with the mobile app. Fitbit has said that Connected GPS utilizes the GATT Server portion of BTLE, so I am assuming that means that the actual GPS data is streamed to the Blaze.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It makes sense to me since the processing load of integrating the GPS positions to produce a coherent plot would be removed from the phone to the Blaze extending phone life somewhat and, in the longer term, it may also open up the possibility of taking GPS data from Bluetooth capable devices that don't otherwise support the Fitbit app and synchronisation of trackers etc. The ability to provide a standard Bluetooth GPS data stream is a simpler requirement than full blown synchronisation.

To be clear, this is supposition on my part. I have no idea if Fitbit is actually planning that.

The change of name is actually quite a strong hint too. If they were going to use MobileTrack, the name of the current feature, then I think they would have said so. There is nothing Connected about MobileTrack, that is simply a server mashup of data from different sources after the event.

Mike | London, UK

Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, Charge, Flex 2 - iPad Air 2, Nokia Lumia 925 (Deceased), iPhone 6

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

You can't track a bike ride with GPS with the Charge HR because FitBit doesn't provide the option in the app... not because the app couldn't do it. But even when the app lets you track a walk or run with the Charge HR it isn't the Charge HR that is doing anything... it is all in the app. So I don't think that bolsters any argument for the Blaze doing anything different (but again, we are just guessing... and I am enjoying this conversation no matter what the final answer ends up being).

As for the GATT stuff... that is merely a protocol definition. What is actually transmitted over the protocol hasn't been explained anywhere that I can see. It could be sending GPS coordinates, but it could just as easily be sending distance and pace updates as calculated by the app. Am I missing something that actually points to the content of the connection?

Best Answer
0 Votes

All of the ploting and mapping is a core library available to any mobile platform these days. And the GPS chips themselves use less and less power relative to the phone's functions. We are now at the point where most Android and iOS devices in the last few years can pretty much just leave their GPS on all day. So I am not sure of the benefit of sending GPS data to the Blaze to have it calculate pace and distance.

Further, I don't think we are talking about full blown synchronization. We are talking about if the Bluetooth interface would send GPS, or if it would send pace and distance updates.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@FSUHugs@dpeete The key differences between Connected Exercise and the current MobileRun feature on your Fitbit App is with Connected GPS you will see the real-time pace/distance on your Blaze with no indication given on the phone until after you finish exercise and the device syncs. On the other hand, MobileRun: No information given on the Blaze device but are able to see real-time route stats on the phone.

Also, steps tracked during Connected GPS activites will be reflected in Challenges.

@JDPENK I can respect your feedback and will make sure to pass it along to the appropriate team. To add a bit of my two cents, Blaze was made with Connected GPS in order to keep the design a bit thinner and cost effective. As we already have the Surge with built-in GPS in our product line, I think Connected GPS is just another flavor in the Fitbit family. As @lsmapp pointed out, there's value in products for different users. It sounds like you'd be interested in the Surge, which includes built-in GPS.

@stellafred The Blaze GPS relies on the smartphones ability to use it's GPS radio, so it does sound like the Surge would be an option for you as you will need a device with a built-in GPS radio.

@dpeete Fitbit Blaze features three free personal trainer workouts from FitStar. Guided instruction with animated on-screen images provide on-the-go exercises and coaching right on your wrist:

● Warm it Up (8 minutes)

● 7 Minute Workout

● 10-Minute Abs

As @Michael said, in order to access these workouts, you don't need your phone or even a Fitstar account.

@dpeete@Michael On Blaze, if you scroll to the "Bike" exercise it shows a settings cog wheel where you can click and decide to "Use Phone GPS" and toggle that ON or OFF.

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer

Honestly, I prefer the Connected GPS.  I'm not a runner.  I am a walker but I still like the GPS and connected is fine as I always have my phone.  I realize that may not work for everyone, but the Surge does have what you want.  

Best Answer

@Koshka

I also prefer the connected GPS. I always have my phone with me and it helps save battery in the end.

Best Answer

can this be used with nike run app for the gps?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm guessing that it doesn't use an app at all but communicates directly with the phone.

Mike | London, UK

Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, Charge, Flex 2 - iPad Air 2, Nokia Lumia 925 (Deceased), iPhone 6

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MikeF

Wouldn't you have to use the fitbit app or any other running app to get the map data though? Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying.

Best Answer
0 Votes
If you want to see a map while you're running you'll need to use something. I was suggesting that we probably won't need to use an app to get GPS data to the Blaze.

Mike | London, UK

Best Answer

Ok, that makes sense.

Best Answer
0 Votes

In case it wasn't clear from previous posts in this thread - with Connected GPS, you will see the real-time pace/distance on your Blaze's display. This is the most significant way the feature differs from something like MobileRun, where all the details are on the phone.

Best Answer

@MatthewFitbit

This I like. It will be nice looking at the watch to get that info instead of having to take out our phones while trying to run/walk/hike etc.

Best Answer

@dpeete wrote:

We are now at the point where most Android and iOS devices in the last few years can pretty much just leave their GPS on all day. 

battery size are not the same.

typical battery on a smartphone is 2000 to 3000 milliamperes

on a Surge, it's 100 milliamperes

Best Answer
0 Votes
My brother worked on a study about cell phones, apps, and battery usage. It was found that GPS was the biggest battery hog.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I currently have a Surge and I love it except I have a very petite wrist and the watch is quite ugly and bulky.  I was so excited when I saw the cute new Blaze until I realized that there is no GPS (except for useless connected).  It was very appealing to see that I would be able to see Fitstar Yoga and Personal Training on the watch screen.  It is VERY disappointing that there is no gps since that is critical to my running and training.  I will not be purchasing the Blaze.  Fitbit, I expect more than that.

Best Answer

@Forestija wrote:

I currently have a Surge and I love it except I have a very petite wrist and the watch is quite ugly and bulky.  I was so excited when I saw the cute new Blaze until I realized that there is no GPS (except for useless connected).  It was very appealing to see that I would be able to see Fitstar Yoga and Personal Training on the watch screen.  It is VERY disappointing that there is no gps since that is critical to my running and training.  I will not be purchasing the Blaze.  Fitbit, I expect more than that.

As already stated elsewhere, the Blaze was not and is not intended to replace the Surge. Rather, it slots into the product line between Charge HR and Surge.

It sounds from what you say as if you have the most appropriate tracker for your activity needs even if it isn't quite ideal from your viewpoint.

Mike | London, UK

Best Answer
0 Votes

To see Fitstar Yoga and the personal trainer you will need your Blaze connected to your phone. The phone will not have to be on you, just close enough to connect.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue wrote:

To see Fitstar Yoga and the personal trainer you will need your Blaze connected to your phone. The phone will not have to be on you, just close enough to connect.

@Rich_Laue First, there has been no mention of FitStar Yoga working with the Blaze, so I wouldn't assume it will.

As far as the FitStar training sessions you do not need a phone connected to it. (You can see the post by @DerrickS that says "in order to access these workouts, you don't need your phone or even a Fitstar account.")

Best Answer