Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heart rate inaccurate

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have started using the Fitbit blaze to track my heart rate for training.

For the first month or so it worked wonderfully, and it has tracked my resting heart rate to be 41 bpm (which is correct!).

However, I have found over the past few weeks that suddenly the tracker stops tracking my heart rate throughout parts of the day, and for some reason thinks my resting heart rate is now 47 bpm, which is a considerable jump!

I have tried using this whilst exercising, and in the beginning, this has worked very well; whereas now, when I am exercising, the tracker seems to think that my heart rate is at about 80-90 bpm when I am pushing it flat out.

Clearly, something is wrong, but I can't figure out what. I have been washing the back of the tracker with water, and have even used the soft bristles on my toothbrush to clean the tracker, yet nothing seems to help. I am left with a Fitbit which tells me my heart rate is way too high if it reads my heart rate at all!

What should I do to resolve this problem?

Thank you very much for your help.

Best Answer
117 REPLIES 117

My heart rate monitor just randomly stops working lately. It’s worked fine sine I bought it April 3rd however the last couple runs, it just stops. Then wintvread the HR again for 30 minutes or so even though the optical lights are working. Tried moving it, tried cleaning it, tried resetting, etc but nothing works. Frustrating seeing how many have had problems for years now. If it doesn’t get better, I’m buying a Garmin like most everyone told me to. 

Best Answer

I'd just like to echo the sentiment of this thread. The FitBit Blaze just isn't up to industry standards. Mine, conveniently after warranty is over, stopped tracking heart rate and subsequently sleep altogether. I think it was after a large FitBit update I was forced to make.The troubleshooting offered by reps in this thread seems as subpar as the device itself. Of course we've tried wearing it tighter/looser, we've taken it off while going around in circles or wearing it higher on our wrist.

I urge anyone in the market for a health/heart rate tracker not to go this direction.

Best Answer

I'm having the same exact problem all of a sudden.  It will not measure heart rate at all now!  Is there a solution?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi 

i got rid of my Fitbit over year ago now so I can’t speak for what has happened recently sorry.  I would love to get another Fitbit but until I see overwhelming support from users about heart rate and calorie burn accuracy I am not interested.  Good luck I am afraid I had no luck in getting any plausible or believable answers  from Fitbit 

Best Answer
0 Votes
No.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine is doing EXACTLY the same thing regardless the arm placement! Smiley Mad

its very frustrating!

Best Answer

Hi there, I’ve adjusted my Blaze repeatedly as well as rebooted it. The heart rate monitor still drops to like 65 bpm while I know my hr is much closer to 121 (or so) bpm, plz help!

kelley

Best Answer

Hi,

Tried all of what you said, restart etc, tightness and height on wrist, no joy! I believe its down to a new update, but all was fine until yesterday 13/8/18.

Not a happy chappy at the moment. I can see my heart rate on my fitbit, but not on my dashboard on my galaxy S8+.

I can read my heart rate activity when i press the heart on my dashboard, but thats not what i want,i wsnt to see it on my DASHBOARD!! if thats not to much of an inconvenience. 

Thanks

SK.

Best Answer

So... another year eh? 

As users can see from my posts below, I'm very grateful for all that the Fitbit devices have helped me with over the years. They're cracking devices when you're just getting going and want to be a bit more active (I started with a One on a belt clip, then upgraded through a Charge HR, Blaze and then a Charge 2). They helped me no end getting started on getting fitter and leaner. I'll always be grateful to them for that and they started a real trend. 

Unfortunately I grew to require other needs from them which they haven't chosen to answer. I suspect their business model isn't overly concerned with these things as super-accurate fitness training etc. isn't their market; they're happy being a middle of the road device so they'd rather work on features to support that instead of resolving issues like the above. That's fair enough and I have no hard feelings towards them about it, but I've had to move on. 

I won't name names as that seems like an unfair thing to do on their forum but I've switched to a device which is wrist-based as well, still has an optical heart rate monitor (and the same issues with the heart rate spiking when jogging on the spot incidentally; proof to me that the optical tech is flawed for accurate readings during vigorous exercise) and also operates as a smart watch... Accurately tracks steps too and can be used to upload music to so that you don't need to take a phone with you if you don't wish (I haven't used this feature though to be honest so can't vouch for it either way)

BUT it can also be paired with a very accurate chest-strap monitor (which sorts the accuracy problem out entirely for me) and because it pairs with that device it means I don't have to have a separate one then go through the rigmarole of having to then manually input the workout data into the Fitbit app afterwards for it to be included in my Myfitnesspal calories etc. It also has a simple and effective lock function so you don't bash the buttons accidentally whilst working out and it has built-in GPS which is quick to find the satellite and accurate. I paired it with Strava also and it auto-updates runs and cycles to the Strava app as well. I have to say I've been using it about 2 months now and it's really, really good.

I'm a bit of a geek so feeling like my workouts weren't being recorded properly actually had a real effect on my motivation to do the workouts in the first place... I appreciate that shouldn't be the case but it was, so now I've found a new lease of life on my workouts and have picked up the pace again. It's also a nice looking device as it's a round watch face with a metal edge and you can choose watch faces - so the one I picked looks to the casual eye like a nice analogue watch face which means it's not a big super-ostentatious square on my wrist either. 

Compared to the lower end fitbit devices it was more expensive (around £175) but that's still cheaper than the top-end devices like the Ionic and from what I can see it does what I want it to do better than that.

I really hope Fitbit incorporate these features in the future and when I come to buy a next generation device I will check out their range thoroughly; I'd like to come back to them in the future but for now they simply appear to be going in a different direction to the one I would like. 

All the best Fitbit, I hope to see more of these sorts of features in future. Thank you for helping me with my goals over the years.

I hope to come back to the forum at some point and find these issues have been answered but for now good luck everyone!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Fabulous post, thank you very much!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have only just started using my Blaze and I'm kinda worried. I am in the process of getting my heart checked out (I'm 37) so I though this would be great for monitoring my HR and sleep. Well today twice in an hour my HR spiked to over 160bpm while watching children's programs for goodness sake. I checked my blood pressure and it was 40bpm higher. I'm not even exercising, I don't expect it to be exactly the same at the bp matching but 40 off is a joke and this is scary stuff.

Best Answer

I've had my Blaze for a while now and it will not accurately show or record HR.

While working out I'm trying to get my HR up to 130, but when my heart is pounding and I'm running full speed it rarely goes above 115 according to my Blaze, but other measurements tell me is more like 140-150.

I have adjusted where it sits on my arm, and how tight the strap is. I have even cleaned the back sensor to ensure its not the problem.

But no matter what I do, it continues to report whild swings in my HR and not record anything close to semi-fast top end HRs.

Definitely not happy with this feature, which is one of the main reasons I went with FitBit in the first place.

Plus this is my 3rd time posting to this thread since nothing ever is done about this problem.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Looks like nothing has changed .. this was exactly my experience from the
beginning.
Now that Google own FITBIT maybe things will improve. I just don't
believe that the technology used by FITBIT was ever capable of
delivering on the claims they made regarding reliable HR readings and
therefore Calorie burn also. The end result was for me that is was useless
for my intended purpose.
I want to get back into using a wrist activity tracker but not until the
technology is proven and that users reviews reflect that.

cheers

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried it running with the blaze a few times, and the best way for it to track HR (after you have determined it is tracking accurately while not running) is to keep the wrist close to the chest, like how long distance runners has their arm, but higher.

I usually wear it for spinning and riding the bike with minimal (except for times when the HR drops, sometimes to the cadence of my pedal stroke, especially if I am standing on the pedal).  If I catch that while riding, I would just do a twist back and forth of the watch (this probably applies to when running too), or if it is matching my cadence, I would loosen my grip on the handlebar.  The rhythmic tightening and loosening of the grip based on which pedal I am applying pressure probably causes pumping of the blood from the hand and the fitbit thinks it is a heart rate pulse.  It would be great to know my cadence if I didn't care about my HR.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My fitbit Versa is very weird with it's monitor. I will be sitting in a chair during class a and it will report my HR at 140 bpm and I just don't know how that is possible.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Fit bits are junk.
Best Answer
0 Votes

My Versa 3 is way off...and I wear it exactly the same as I did my Apple Watch...which was highly accurate.  Any other suggestions?  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried different bands on my Blaze to no avail.  What I eventually did was put replace the band with a couple loops of bungee cords where it can hold the tracker flush against the skin and I can slide it way up to my upper forearm or even to my bicep, where the measurement is more accurate.

I just use a bunch of rubber bands for my wife's Blaze since I didn't have another one of those looping ends that is part of the mesh band that I bought.

Best Answer
0 Votes