Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Internet connectivity required for syncing with an app?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Is Internet connectivity required for syncing with an app?

Having to be connected to the Internet is the major inconvenience of Charge HR if I want to check my activity at the end of the day or right after a workout.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@SunsetRunner, at this point, internet connectivity is required to sync all trackers. I believe there is a feature request in the feature request forum requesting the capability to sync offline, that would be useful to a lot of us! I would suggest going over there to vote for that option. The more votes something gets, the more likely it is to be implemented.

MakMak | Community Council

If you find a response useful, please mark it as a solution to help others.

Check out the Lifestyle Forums for ways to get more active!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
25 REPLIES 25

No, all Fitbits can be synced with bluetooth and you can check your stats on the app. Same with Charge HR.

You only need internet if you want to use the dashboard on the computer. When using the phone you just need bluetooth. No internet.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner, at this point, internet connectivity is required to sync all trackers. I believe there is a feature request in the feature request forum requesting the capability to sync offline, that would be useful to a lot of us! I would suggest going over there to vote for that option. The more votes something gets, the more likely it is to be implemented.

Best Answer

@MakMak

You only need bluetooth to sync. I sync all the time without internet as long as I enable bluetooth and sync with the phone app.

Or am I missing something here? I can sync fine in my car and that has no internet and no wifi around that I am connected to.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@matt9013 wrote:

@MakMak

You only need bluetooth to sync. I sync all the time without internet as long as I enable bluetooth and sync with the phone app.

Or am I missing something here? I can sync fine in my car and that has no internet and no wifi around that I am connected to.

@matt9013, do you not have mobile data on your phone? You need to have a data connection to the internet to sync your Fitbit.

Best Answer

@MakMak

Wow, never mind me than. Totally forgot about the mobile data. Forget I'm always conncted.

Best Answer
0 Votes
The trackers sync directly with the Fitbit serving using the phone or PC as a.conduit. Thus I imagine the Blaze would be the same since syncing with the phone, storing the data and then forwarding it to the server later would be massive rewrite of the Fitbit apps etc that I don't envision happening, not in the short term anyway (unless they've been working on it for a while already).

Mike | London, UK

Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, Charge, Flex 2 - iPad Air 2, Nokia Lumia 925 (Deceased), iPhone 6

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Fitbit can come suddenly with surprises.. like having added multiple tracker support, giving the Flex automatic sleep tracking.. 😊

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Fitbit can come suddenly with surprises.. like having added multiple tracker support, giving the Flex automatic sleep tracking.. 😊

This is true. That's why I didn't want to say Never. It would only be embarrassing when they released the functionality a week later 😄

Mike | London, UK

Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, Charge, Flex 2 - iPad Air 2, Nokia Lumia 925 (Deceased), iPhone 6

Best Answer

I'm about to get a Blaze as my first Fitbit and trying to understand the Internet requirement.Please could you help me understand the following situation.

I have an iphone that only had mobile data in the UK and in the places I go on holiday, mostly do not have WiFi. I know the Blaze can hold a week's worth of data and I could sync with the phone (bluetooth) every day but would not have internet access for 2 weeks - would I end up losing one week's worth of data or would it be held in the phone until I get back to the UK?

Thanks for your help

Best Answer
0 Votes

All Fitbits hold a week of detail data, then an aditional 23 days of total daily step data.

My thought would be to fond a free wifi hotspot a couple tomes a week. 

As stated above there currently is no option for offline storage of your trackers data, all syncing is sent to the server through your phone app. No internet no sync, And the data status on the tracker. 

Best Answer

You can't sync with the phone, only with the Fitbit server. The phone is simply the mechanism used for communication from the tracker to the server.

The tracker will hold 7 days of detailed data but it will also hold an additional 23 days of totals so while you would lose some of the detail, you wouldn't lose your daily statistics for that period.

Mike | London, UK

Best Answer

To add to @Rich_Laue's answer, your Fitbit will not sync to your phone without an internet connection. So, the Blaze itself will hold the data until such time when you can grab some internet.

Edit: Beat me to it, @MikeF!

Best Answer

Maybe i should not add this but. ..

Think of the app on the phone as a gateway or door to the fitbit server. When syncing a tracker the data doesn't stop at the phone but passes through it, then continues on the roadway called the internet, to arrive at the fitbit server.  If any of these are not connected the data will not sync. 

Best Answer

This has not been solved as indicated. Need either cellular data or an internet link to sync.  When on a cruise ship or out of the country, say Europe, usually both of these features are disabled due to cost.  I wish it was possible to sync directly, is it really a major issue?  We have Bluetooth connection shouldn't that be enough of a link between phone and FitBit.  Hopefully the development team will recognize the need and be able to address it with a software upgrade (hopefully not just wishful thinking).

Best Answer
0 Votes

@rogerk wrote:

This has not been solved as indicated. Need either cellular data or an internet link to sync.  When on a cruise ship or out of the country, say Europe, usually both of these features are disabled due to cost.  I wish it was possible to sync directly, is it really a major issue?  We have Bluetooth connection shouldn't that be enough of a link between phone and FitBit.  Hopefully the development team will recognize the need and be able to address it with a software upgrade (hopefully not just wishful thinking).

yes, it is a major issue.

the problem is not the device, but the app and the servers.

Fitbit must redesign all, taking in consideration all phone capabilities, as memory, and allow later transfers.

Statistics come from Fitbit servers.

how many users are really interested ?

in april, i was on holidays.

no phone connection, and the Fitbit doesn't manage the activity i did.

@my Surge was @Home.

one week without tracking ? no problem

two weeks ? no problem.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It definitely sounds like something I and others will just have to live
with. When you understand the issues more fully, phone capabilities, etc.,
it makes more sense. Thanks for explaining it.

The Villages, FL 32162

Moderator edit: removed personal information. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@rogerk on what way has this there'd not been solved? 

The question is, can a Fitbit tracker sync without the internet?

The answer is At this time NO.

Queation asked, Question answered?

Best Answer

Hello everyone! 🙂 @psl3 A daily sync is recommended but not required. All Fitbit trackers can record detailed minute-by-minute data for seven days, so if you're able to sync weekly your complete minute-by-minute-data will be available. Note that Fitbit Alta records minute-by-minute data for only five days. Daily totals are stored for 30 days for all trackers, so if you're only able to sync monthly you can still see your daily totals on your dashboard. You can read more about syncing here.  Also to sync your tracker you need internet connection (Wifi o mobile data) , Bluetooth turned On or Dongle if you are using a computer and your Fitbit tracker. @rogerk you need to have internet connection to sync because the information is stored on the Fitbit servers not on your app, phone or computer. I was reviewing the feature request board and found this idea: Allow Offline syncing / Store data locally vote for it and add your comments. @Rich_Laue, @SunsetRunner, @MakMak, @SunsetRunner, @MikeF thanks for your cooperation. 

Catch you later! 🙂 

Retired ModeratorAngela | Community Moderator

It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of silver and gold! Share your story!

Best Answer

Data Syncing with the servers may be OK for the data specific to some parts of the dashboard but it appears sleep data for each day is lost for each day the phone cannot communicate with the server. This is a major major and very sad problem. Additionally, when the phone is not able to connect to a viable internet connection, manual adjustments are required on both phone and dashboard to get the correct time to be displayed. Wouldn't it make better sense to have the Fitbit App get its update on timezone from the phone especially when the internet is not available? 

Best Answer
0 Votes