Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New blaze not counting steps accurately

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I bought a new blaze 5 days ago, but it isn’t counting my steps correctly! What can I do? Or have I done something wrong setting it up?  I’ve had my old blaze on as well today and it’s done 7245 steps more!!!! I have also carried my phone to monitor the steps and it’s nearer the old blaze than this lovely black new one! I really have walked/ran loads today so am disappointed in hasn’t registered 

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
12 REPLIES 12

Hi there @SunsetRunner. Good to see you in the Comunity Forums! 🙂

I'm sorry to hear that your new Blaze seems not to be counting your steps correctly.

How off is your new Blaze in comparison to the old one? Also, just to make sure, this means that you've unpaired the previous Blaze and paired the new one to your Fitbit account, right?

I would recommend two things, the first one is giving your Blaze a restart. You can easily do this by pressing the left and lower right buttons for 10-12 seconds. This will make your tracker to reboot.

After restarting your tracker, you can try setting it up as a new device. For this, go to the Account section at the top right corner on the Fitbit app and select the option that says "Set up a new device". Follow the on-screen instructions and once you're done, your tracker should be syncing without a problem.

Once you've done this, try a step test. For this, look at the number of steps on your tracker. Walk 100 steps counting them in your head and once you're done, see the new number on your Blaze and do the math. A difference of 5-7 steps should be acceptable.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more help!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer

Thank you for your response.

i have done all you have suggested several times, I did the 100 step count again today and it only registered 76.  I haven't got the odd blaze synced to my app, it's synced to my husbands. 

Should i try try take it back to the shop? I can ask for receipt from my relative as it was a gift.

thank you 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I didn’t mean to click on accepted solution! I’m still having problems, Its missing my steps and I’m not getting my hours marked!  I’ve walked for over 30mins with dog today and it’s not even registered my hourly 250 or any active minutes!  I’m thinking I’ve got a dodgy one here?  Please help me, this is an important part in my weight loss journey.  Thank you 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for getting back @SunsetRunner!

Thanks a lot also for trying the things I suggested and I'm sorry that didn't work for you.

I think that at this point, you should be able to take it back to the store, explain what's been happening and they should be able to exchange it for a different one since this one seems not to be very accurate. If you have any problem with doing this, let me know so that we can evaluate different options.

If you need more help, be sure to let me know!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same problem with my 1year old blaze. I Just reset the blaze and I will check my steps.

In the past few days I walked several 5 kms with a step count between 4100 and 4600, where I expect to register around 6600 steps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I tried to get the receipt but it has been misplaced and he paid by cash.  The store wouldn’t even look at it without any proof.  Please can you advise what to do now? Thank you

Hi, I’m having lots of problems with it today!  Please can you advise how I can get a replacement?  My dad hadn’t got the receipt - he has misplaced it... it has only registered 1762 steps and 0.68 miles.  I have been hiking for over 3 hours!!!! 

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a similar problem with my 2 year old Blaze.  It used to track miles and steps perfectly but in the past few months, it seems to not be as accurate.  I wonder if they have a useful life and I need to get a new one.  Any thoughts form others?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have walked 14.44km with a GPS-tracker today and recorded only 13903 steps. With a stride length of appr. 74 cm that should have been 19460. A miscount of more than 25%.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Please can you offer advise on this? FerdinandFitbit

@FerdinandFitbit wrote:

Thanks for getting back @SunsetRunner!

Thanks a lot also for trying the things I suggested and I'm sorry that didn't work for you.

I think that at this point, you should be able to take it back to the store, explain what's been happening and they should be able to exchange it for a different one since this one seems not to be very accurate. If you have any problem with doing this, let me know so that we can evaluate different options.

If you need more help, be sure to let me know!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone! Good to see you in the Forums!

@SunsetRunner. Thanks for getting back!

I'd like to know if you're still having problems with the step count on your Blaze not being accurate. If you're still having problems with this, I'd like you to tell me for example for one specific day, how many steps you should have and what's the actual number you have. I'll try to get in touch with the Support Team for them to have a look and see what could be going on. If you could also share a screenshot of it, that would be great!

@chibble, have you been able to try the suggestions I offered above? If not, please give them a try and let me know if there's any difference.

@Peterbl, I'm sorry you're also having problems with this. Did you try the other suggestions besides restarting the tracker? Did that make any difference?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same issue.  I went on a 13 mile bike ride, turned the bike log on, it logged my time but 0.00 miles.  And walking is off too - I compare it to my phone/GPS and there is a difference of at least 1000 steps.  Losing my confidence in Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@FerdinandFitbit.  I have tried rebooting my device a few times.  I have even checked to make sure I have the latest software.  Here is my calculation today:

I walked 80 minutes today at ~17 min miles (my husband walks with me with his GPS phone app and 17 min is on the slow side).  That calculates to 4.7 miles (the mileage the GPS app also logged).  My Fit bit logged 6970 steps and only 2.8 miles so, my Blaze is way off.

My Blaze is about 2 years old and I am not sure about the life of the device.  I suspect a software issue in the way it measures strides, tracks steps, calculates mileage, etc.  

Best Answer
0 Votes