Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Steps counted on StairMaster

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
Why doesn't the Blaze count my steps or floors when I'm using the StairMaster? I appreciate that it tracks my heart rate and calories burned but not the number of steps or floors that I climbed. It's disheartening at the end of the day when I'm missing over 2000 steps and 140 floors! I would love to see that added!
Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

The floors don't get added because the way it detects floors is by measuring changes in air pressure that you get when you rise in elevation. As you don't actually gain elevation on the stair master it doesn't think you have climbed any steps.

Some stair machines struggle with steps too depending on the type of machine. Those that don't produce a firm impact with each step can miss steps, especially if you hold onto the rails so your wrist is not moving. I would expect to get some though.

You may get more accurate calories if you manually log the "stairclimber" activity.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @Nikkinak, your Blaze definitely will not count floors on the stairmaster because floors are detected based on change in elevation, and you don't actually gain any height when on the stairmaster.  Similarly it will not detect any incline on a treadmill.  

To count steps Fitbits use a 3-axis accelerometer which detect movements indicative of stepping -- side to side movements, forward motion, and impact from your feet meeting the ground expressed as vibrations carried through your body and along your arms to your wrist worn tracker (Blaze).  If what it detects doesn't "look" like a step, it won't be counted.

On the stairmaster you may need some of the criteria, but you are lacking forward motion, and as your feet typically stay in place there is no impact of your foot meeting the ground.

This is fhe likely reason that steps will not be counted.  As you note, the heart rate detection will track your calories burned.

If you find this disheartening you may want to create a manual log to track this activity.  Instructions here.

I hope this makes sense.  Welcime to the Community!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

@Nikkinak my thought of it is not, changing the tracker a setting to non-dominant, this will make it more sensitive. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you use the stair master without holding the rails it will count your steps. I have tried both on the big rotating stairmaster and the smaller stepping one where you dont actually lift your leg.

Best Answer