Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resting Heart rate Fluctuation?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi,

It might be a stupid question but my resting heart rate has been fluctuating greatly in the last 2 weeks. 

It normally is around 60-63 but sometimes every couple of weeks it goes up. Right now it's around 69. 

I'm quite active: 6 hours of kickboxing + 4 hours of gym per week.

I always see the increase in resting heart rate when I reach a plateau and doesn't lose any weight for a while.

I'm not stressed out or anything else.

Does anyone ever get the same problems? Please share your experience!

Best Answer
32 REPLIES 32

@robjb86I had some alcohol drinks on Christmas Eve and New Years Day and very rarely partake, only on celebrations etc.. Next day my RHR had normalized...

Here is the result, and I'm also studying the effect of sleep on my RHR caused by night temperatures and blankets etc. because the HR at night has a marked effect on our RHR.

The graph of HR//RHR doesn't move much, you can see the spikes for the drinking.. Last night was a cooler evening after a sudden 42oC (107oF) day..  But that's Melbourne..  On the hot nights I just slept on top of the bed in shorts.. .

sleeping RHR 7jan18.jpg

@robjb86 wrote:

I'm finding this same thing as yourself, on the 22 Dec i had a few more drinks as its the Christmas party from work and my heart rate shot up from 60/64 BPM to 78/82 BPM!

How long did yours (fitbit) take to come down and return to normal? 

Thanks 

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

My resting is usually in the 56-58 bracket I have noticed that two things make mine rise,

first is definitely alcohol, anything more than two medium wines will cause a rise of 2-4 which stays elevated for several days, secondly the onset of a virus or cold this can make it rise by 4-5, I have moderated my alcohol because of these small spikes although probably nothing but it makes you think about what it does to you, anyone else have similar results.

Best Answer

@soulcarrotwrote:

My resting is usually in the 56-58 bracket I have noticed that two things make mine rise,

first is definitely alcohol, anything more than two medium wines will cause a rise of 2-4 which stays elevated for several days, secondly the onset of a virus or cold this can make it rise by 4-5, I have moderated my alcohol because of these small spikes although probably nothing but it makes you think about what it does to you, anyone else have similar results.

@soulcarrotWith the consistency I get at the lower HR's on all of the Fitbit wrist type devices I'm happy to use the RHR as a precursor to anything abnormal to our bodies.. That's why I was examining the effect of night time summer temperatures, blankets and evening wear and sleeping on top of the bed.

From the graph of temp, RHR and sleeping ave HR it made little difference to my RHR..  But a big BUT, I tripped and fell 3 mornings ago onto our concrete patio, supported myself with my hands and arms as I fell and jarred a fair bit of my body....

As the day wore on I started to feel like shock or similar, maybe whiplash and this was the result..  It hardly affected my RHR because my heart never rested. Registered as a high calorie burn. Mine kicks at 71bpm.. I didn't drink enough water and my body told me that, dull head and dark urine.. 6 cups of warm water over time corrected that.. So I was running a temperature, became dehydrated, hence the elevated sleeping HR..  The Ionic worked well even with all of the recent updates..

HR fall 15mar18.jpgsleep hr rhr 17mar18.jpg

Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

This sounds very similar to me - I have been shocked at how alcohol affects RHR and how long it takes to get back to normal.  Weight loss and increased excercise are helping to get mine down to a new low level of 57.  It can go up to 70 with excess alcohol - quite thought provoking!

Best Answer

Can i get mod bro thx

Best Answer

Hi,

Just noticing that my RHR has been crazy looking.  I have been having ranges of 58-116.  58 around 7PM  then as I am doing things like going from one room to another huge or what seems huge increases.  Should I be worried?

Best Answer

Mine has been doing the same does anyone have any answers?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I noticed some images show a steady RHR. I have never had that. Is that me? Or the device?

Capture+_2020-02-14-15-20-08.png

Best Answer

@JamoCMy RHR is similar to yours and sometimes I see that Fitbit can recalulate it 3 times in a day depending on my activity and resting.

Many Fitbitters get their RHR Fitbit confused with what they see when they sit down and take their pulse.. Two different things, because Fitbit algorithms rely on your sleep and an unknown period of rest to do their calculations.

Ironically it's nearly 2 years since my earlier post, 80 years now and there has been little change in my RHR. Fortunately no falls to trigger shock.

RHR 14feb20.jpg

Best Answer

Chocolate & alcohol both will raise my HR but for me chocolate is the worst...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for that. Good to know. I get the sleeping heart rate data as well, which is heaps lower. 48-50 bpm. I have never had an RHR indicated for that range, despite it being much lower.

Best Answer

@JamoC  Here is a link I posted in another Forum today and shows my sleeping HR gets well below my RHR. It has some bearing, but fortunately not as aggressive as my sleep HR.

@JamoC wrote:

Thanks for that. Good to know. I get the sleeping heart rate data as well, which is heaps lower. 48-50 bpm. I have never had an RHR indicated for that range, despite it being much lower.

Best Answer
0 Votes

80 years? I guess I better start running marathons to see if I can keep up. I'm 52 with a 70yo partner. Thanks for reinforcing the fact that the mind and self are the barriers to living strong, not the body. :sun_with_face::mountain:

Best Answer