Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Altimeter / Floor Counter for Charge 5?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Does Charge 5 have an altimeter or some other way to count floors climbed? I bought the Luxe without fully investigating all the specs and want to make sure. 

Best Answer
238 REPLIES 238

I guess this is why they did away with the Compare feature on the website…so as to not highlight the features that have been taken away. 

Best Answer

Of all the features they could have done away, the stair count one is the one I'll miss the least.  It's generally inaccurate, messed up by the slightest breeze and I rarely look at the data.

Best Answer

I'm sorry that has been your experience. The only issue that I've had with it was there was a firmware issue that caused the stair count to be wildly exaggerated, maybe a year ago. I just like seeing my numbers and since i live in a townhome my stair count goal is something i like to hit daily. 

Best Answer

@KateFitbit Do you know anything about what this will mean for the Lifetime Climb badge??? Will this be retired since the latest and most expensive Fitbit tracker no longer includes the required hardware???

Best Answer

@tiuri I doubt it will be retired as there are still a lot of Fitbit devices capable of counting floors. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@leewoods651 I spend my life going up and down stairs at work so I know I'll never do less than 25 flights and if I go for a walk it'll often total 40 or 50.  With that in mind, I don't really need to monitor them because I know it's nearly always going to be a high number.  I can see why it might be important to you, but for me it's largely an irrelevance.  

Best Answer

Any chance they'll come out with a 'tweaked' version of the Charge 5 and bring back the altimeter? Weird to me that they'd delete a function that has been on previous iterations. I count flights of stairs daily!

Best Answer

Hi @Sosk  not at this time and probably not. Moderator already answered this earlier. If you want something to count flights of stairs, why not check into a smartwatch, like the Sense.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer
0 Votes

I really prefer to not have a smartwatch. I'm not interested in all of its bells & whistles. The Charge was perfect for me, until the Charge 5.

Best Answer

Also, apart the completely unreliable HR sensor, Sense is affected, since last November update, by a bug that makes the altimeter practically useless.

Best Answer

@Sosk then go with a Charge 4. 

It may be that physically there isn't any room. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah.... I was just thinking that the different colors on the Charge 5 would help these aging eyes see  the numbers easier.

Best Answer

I would actually avoid to buy the previous model Charge 4 as very unlikely will receive any further update. In fact the very same fact that Fitbit has announced to implement its newest readiness score for all current lineup (including the much lower specs Luxe and Inspire 2) but Charge 4 says everything.

Best Answer

I added it as a suggestion as I would love the charge 5 if it had an altimeter but as it doesn't I'm waiting until they hopefully bring out another charge that has everything the charge 5 has but with an altimeter as well.

They have left voting open for my suggestion, hopefully if it gets enough votes they'll add it.

It's titled "Add altimeter to charge 5"

Best Answer

@Caz525 your suggestion had short life as it has been already labeled as "not planned" and locked for further comments.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I only done it 2 days ago, and had an email saying they were leaving open for voting. So that's weird. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I bought the charge 5 thinking it was an upgrade.  Now I’m disappointed by not having the ability to count stairs. Something I used a lot. Guess I’ll be returning it, and going back to my charge 4. Thanks 

-----------

I agree very disappointing that this feature has been removed.  I’m returning mine. I’ll continue to use my Charge 4.

Best Answer

Long before the release of the 5, it was known that there wasn't an altameter to read stair counts. The sales page also does not mention this option and a little bit of research would have brought up this fact. 

So who's fault is it? 

Best Answer

I just got my Charge 5.  I was bummed that there is not a floor counter.  That was one of my main metrics that I used daily. Will there be an upgrade available sometime?

Best Answer

@Peavely it's limitation of the hardware so no, it can't be upgraded.

Best Answer