Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Announcing Charge 5 Firmware Update (1.149.11)

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

This update should now be available to all customers! If you have any difficulty updating, make sure you are following the directions in this article, and then provide as many specific details as possible in your post so that we can assist.

Update 11/7

We’re excited to announce that a firmware update for Charge 5 will be available soon!  Some of you may already have this update available - if you installed it, let us know what you think!

If you don’t see the update yet, that’s expected. Check the Fitbit app in a few days, and you’ll see a message when you can install the update. We expect everyone to receive the update in the coming weeks. We appreciate your patience while we get this update to all of our customers. 

Did you know that we gradually release our updates? We do this to make sure everything is working just right for you. Sometimes we find an issue and it might take a little longer than expected for everyone to get the update. While you might see suggestions on how to “force” an update, we ask that you don’t try any of these workarounds. Most of the time the update won’t be available and you can lose data or encounter other difficulties. The best way to get the update is to be patient and wait for the update banner to appear in the Fitbit app.  

WHAT’S NEW AND FIXED

You can find release notes here.

HOW DO I UPDATE?

You can find step-by-step instructions for updating your Charge 5 here.

If you run into difficulty updating please review these troubleshooting tips

We’re interested in hearing your feedback on this update! Let us know what you like! If you encounter unexpected behavior during or after your update, please post the details below.

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
59 REPLIES 59

Hi, thank you for all this information that you've provided so far about your experience with the update.

@halestock It seems that you already contacted the Customer Support team and they were able to help you with this. Let me know if you have further questions. 

@pete-S Thank you for your inquiry about location and the ECG app; let me go ahead and find more information about this. Just to confirm, the phone was purchased in the UK, you downloaded the app in the UK and you've been abroad just for a few days, correct? 

@ZeroGravitas Unfortunately there's not an official way suggested by Fitbit to be able to roll back to a previous firmware version. Before considering other options, please let me know if you've tried the steps listed here to improve battery life and make sure to complete a restart as well if you're still experiencing the same problem. 

@fionac Thank you for sharing your experience with the Daily Readiness Score! Let us know how it goes. 

@PEDSJL Welcome to the Community forums and thank you for sharing that you've been having this problem with the Charge 5. 

Before considering other options, please let me know if you already tried the three pulse restart method described here below: 

1. Connect your device to the charging cable. For instructions, see How do I charge my Fitbit device?
  2. Press the button located on the flat end of the charger 3 times, pausing for 1 second between presses. Then wait 10 seconds or until the Fitbit logo appears.

@LukmanC Thank you for sharing your feedback. It's possible that there was a technical problem, but it should be working now. I would recommend that you post this idea in the Feature Suggestion board of the Community, since this section is regularly monitored by the team of developers. Make sure to post your idea including as many details as possible or vote for one of the existing features about having more clock faces with Charge 5. 

@Majolenko Thank you for sharing all your feedback about the Charge 5 and the ECG feature.  As you mentioned earlier, there's a list of availability per country for the ECG feature. Keep in mind that this feature often requires the approval of certain agencies and institutions of each country before they can be activated for use. I recommend that you review this list periodically to check if your country has been added. In the meantime, you can also vote for this idea posted in the forums: Make ECG available in all EU countries. This section is monitored regularly by the team of developers. You can also post a separate idea to add ECG feature in Slovakia. 

@mschilder Thank you for sharing all your feedback about the Charge 5. Keep in mind that although many users have reported some of these problems, it's not something that it's affecting the vast majority of users. Every case is handled and evaluated individually to find out the best course of action and if troubleshooting steps are not helpful, we recommend getting in touch with the Customer Support team so they can provide further instructions. 

Have good day, I'll be around. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

What big fixes are we expecting to see? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes @DavideFitbit .  It's a UK Charge 5, with a UK phone, I live on the UK etc.  The only non-UK thing is that I installed the update while on vacation, in a country which isn't on the supported list.

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi.. I'm in Singapore and already updated latest version.. I can't seem to see ecg app till now.. Please help me 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Rich_Laue! This update was more focused on the new features, but we've been gathering information from users reporting other problems as well, so they can be addressed with a next firmware update. Many are still experiencing battery draining, but the team is aware and they've working to find a solution as quickly as possible. 

Thank you for your reply, @pete-S. I've shared this information with the team so they can look into it. In the meantime, since the UK is actually on the list of countries that should have ECG available, I recommend that you get in touch with the Customer Support team so they can provide you with further instructions. 

Welcome to the Community forums, @JokophitoyoLet me know if you're currently located in Singapore and if you have it set as your location in the Fitbit app settings and in your phone.  Before considering other options, please try to set up your Charge 5 in your account again as a new device following these steps. If you still don't see the feature available, please try the following steps as well:  

1. Log out from the Fitbit app.
  2. Clear Cache and Cookies for the Fitbit app on the phone's settings. 
  3. Restart your phone. 
  4. Log back in and check if you're able to set it up. 

I'll be around. 

Best Answer

Hi David.. It really works.. Many thanks 

Best Answer

That's great news, thank you for sharing this update, @Jokophitoyo

Have a good day.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello, 

I am super disappointed with the new Charge 5. Already had issues to activate it after unboxing.  But this Firmware Update is the worst I have ever experienced. The Charge 5 turned completely Black for 2 days now. The Smartphone (Samsung S10) tries to run the Firmware Update and while doing that I see a progress Bar on the Charge 5 and suddenly within the next 40 mins it just ends with an error message that something went wrong. 

Both Devices are plugged in the entire time. I even restarted the Smartphone couple of times. Charge 5 cant be restarted even with the Button at the way too short charging cable. 

I dont know what else to try and I am very annoyed as this process of Update Tests takes so long and than falls again and again. Furthermore the wire is so short that I have to sit the entire time on the floor infront of the plug ... 

Fitbit community please help, any idea what to do? 

Thanks 

Xeni

Best Answer

Have you moved the fitbit app to the background @Xeniachen 

If I don't, on my Samsung, the update fails. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there,

I have a hew Fitbit Charge 5 and every time I start a workout the app or firmware upgrades automatically in the background, killing my session and tracking of everything in the process. Extremely annoying and very bad design.

How do I turn this off, so I can update the apps or firmware only when I'm not actively using the tracker? What kind of fitness tracker updates in the middle of the user tracking their fitness?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Firmware never updates automatically; on phone app it shows that firmware update is available but you then have to initiate the update.

As for app update, that's totally in your control and is not a Fitbit function.  Procedure varies slightly in Android vs. IOS.

For Android, within the Google Play Store, the default might be to automatically update apps whenever your phone chooses, but you have the option not to have auto-update turned on for certain apps.  That's what I do for Fitbit because I want to know when there is a Fitbit app update.  But then I do check the Play Store often to see what updates are available.

Incidentally, I have never experienced, or heard of before, an update ending a workout session.  It might be that there is something else causing your problem.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer

Welcome to the Community forums, @Xeniachen

Thank you for the information you've shared about the problem to complete the update. In addition to what @Rich_Laue mentioned earlier, please make sure to check all the requirements and follow all the recommendations listed in this article

It's good to see you around in the forums for the first time as well, @Cromwells. Regarding the inconvenience you mentioned with updates taking place during your workout session, could you please provide more details? The firmware update is performed only once and you need to start the update process by tapping on the banner that shows up on the app indicating that there's and update available, but it's possible you're seeing other type of notifications on the device, please let me know.  

I'll be around. 

Best Answer

You and me both. Smple date,time,steps and maybe last spo2 reading for me all equally sized.

Best Answer

I am so disappointed and frustrated right now.  I just bought a new Fitbit Charge 5 after using a Charge 2 (and loving it) for years.  I have been trying for two days now to setup this watch and even with your technical support assistance, it will not work.  It kept telling me to upgrade the firmware but the install would fail every single time.  I tried all the troubleshooting tips.  Now this afternoon it is just a black screen.  It will not even connect to the Fitbit app on my phone now (was at least doing that much before).  It had a full charge before the screen went black and it's on the charging cable, still with a black screen.  I've tried restarting it with the cable button and all I get is the Fitbit logo and then black screen.  Your firmware upgrade is a disaster, Fitbit.  

Best Answer

I bought the Fitbit Charge 5 on 11/24/2021. I had many issues with it right out of the box. Mainly with this update. It also didn’t have a clock face. I had to install it, which took hours. It kept losing the connection. I tried resetting the Charge 5 several times. I removed and read-installed the app on my iPhone. I even turned off my iPhone and back again as recommended by customer service at Fitbit. I left it to update overnight while it was charging next to my iPhone 13, nothing worked. It was stuck on the black screen for a whole day at one point. When it did turn on it would reset or restart itself every time I swiped left or right. I ended up trading it in for another Fitbit Charge 5. I also left this new Charge 5 sit overnight for the update. And it works so far.

I’m still very disappointed that the Relax app and AccuWeather app are not available on the Charge 5. I tried the EDA app. It is not relaxing at all. My fingers cramped. And I felt less relaxed and confused as to how the EDA app is supposed to help. Because it did not. I read up on the Relax app. I rather use that than the videos on the Fitbit app. I’ve tried that kind of guided meditation and it does not work for me. 

Please bring back the Relax app. It’s terrible that we would even have to ask. 

also please bring back the AccuWeather app. It would be great to see what the weather los like right in my wrist instead of having to reach for my phone, tablet, or tv. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi David.. Is Yoga apps will be available in charge 5.. I have been looking for it

Best Answer
0 Votes

After almost 2 weeks and countless attemps it finally worked. In all the tries I sticked to the instructions and also tried to apply recommendations from the community (move app to background). I want to thank everyone for your support. However it is still frustrating not seeing any pattern when patching works fine and when not. It just seems to be completely random. I'm really concerned for the next firmware update. 

Anyhow thanks a lot to the community and admins here. 

Cheers 

Xeni

Best Answer
0 Votes

Please add the relax app to the Charge 5!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Community forums, @Bluebeerd66

Thank you for sharing that you've been experiencing this problem during the set up process and that you already contacted the Support team. It seems they've sent you a response. In this case, I recommend that you continue the assistance process with them so they can provide you with further instructions. Thank you again for sharing your feedback about the device. 

@Darbyxx @mxld It's good know that your display is not turning on after the update. Thank you for sharing your feedback about the Relax app and AccuWeather app as well. I noticed there's an idea posted in the forums for have the Relax app on Charge 5, please make sure to vote for it and add your comments; this is always useful for the team of developers to continue to track popularity and demand over time. I didn't see and idea posted for AccuWeather app, so I recommend that you post this suggestion here as well. 

@Jokophitoyo Unfortunately we don't have any updates regarding Yoga app being included to the Charge 5, but I do recommend that you post this idea here in the Feature Suggestion board of the Community, so other users can vote for it as well and add their feedback. 

@Xeniachen It's good to know that your device is now working properly, thank you for your feedback and for sharing this update. 

Have a good day. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey everyone!

First off, I wanted to thank you all for your participation in this thread. Secondly, since the majority of Charge 5 users have reported successfully updating to Firmware Update (1.149.11), I am closing this thread. If you still have not updated your Charge 5 to 1.149.11, check out this post for some best practices on how to update your tracker.

If you are experiencing an issue with your Charge 5 unrelated to the firmware-up process, I invite you to start a new topic on the community or find a related topic. Thanks again for all feedback on this release.

Have a good day.

Best Answer
0 Votes